IGNORED

Why is the 5200 still so sought after when..

Zaxxon

I couldn't figure that question out either until I got one. And now I

know! 8)

The mystery is part of the appeal, its virtually unknown in

Canada. The games are a huge step up over the 2600 so its unreleased

protos are more interesting. Its library compliments my Colecovision

collection. Also the most impressive thing I noticed is that it really

was a quality system. The styling is cool. The quality of plastic and

construction in the console and cartridges is a step above the 2600

and the analog precision of the joystick and trackball is impressive.

As mentioned it was high end Atari, the rich kid's system, it still is

today its a pricey system to get in full working order off ebay.

Everything was pretty top line which makes it more puzzling that the

joysticks were unreliable. Obviously they didn't test them.

The computer line is nice too but just doesn't have the appeal as much but

it also represents high end Atari.

I'm wondering what Atari's future would have been like if they had released the Atari XEGS instead of the Atari 5200 back in 1982. Everyone was moving to computers (everyone that I knew, anyway) and it would have made more sense to release a game console that was cartridge and I/O compatible with their 8-bit computer line. Kids would get the XEGS, get interested in making their own games, and then get a keyboard and floppy drive. It seems like all the game console makers back then were trying to make their machine into a computer, so it would have made more sense to put out the XEGS, because it was already a computer, just missing a few computer accesories, like a keyboard.

That is actually what the 400 was. It was originaly supposed to be the actual replacement to the 2600, with the idea of a game console with a keyboard. What became known as the 800 was to be the serious high end computer. Kassar didn't want to take away from the 2600's marketing steam at the time and also had the idea of pushing the "computer as appliance" thing, even going as far as talking about marketing it in different colors to appeal to women (about 19 years before the IMAC). So instead it became pushed as the low end computer system, "little brother" to what became known as the 800.

The original concept of a console with an actual keyboard (for programmers to be able to program the games directly on it as well) was carried through eventually at Amiga. At first with the initial proto designs (which were nixed by the time of Commodore), and eventually realized in the Amiga 500 design.

When I talked to Leonard Tramiel, he mentioned that the XEGS was their attempt to do the 5200 "right".

so, why do 5200 fans make such a big deal over the fact there's a pause button on it's controller? The CV has a pause button too, the * button, it just doesn't have the word 'pause' printed on it. Aren't there INTV games that have a built in pause feature as well? What's the big deal, just curious?
It's dedicated, readily accessible, and clearly labelled.

5200's pause button location is surpassed only by the Genesis' start button location.

'Course as rabid a 5200 freak that I am.. I can say that my pause button probably didn't work for about 80% of my childhood 5200 playtime :ponder: :P

Don't matter tho.. 5200 r00lz! :D

When I talked to Leonard Tramiel' date=' he mentioned that the XEGS was their attempt to do the 5200 "right".[/quote']

In a way they did get the 5200 right for pal countries releasing the XEGS. Its one of my most favourite machines now, As much as id love a 5200 there would be modding involved as tuning would be impossible without 2 tv's, one for vid and the other for sound. But yeah, ppl like it because it is a cool system with quality games for rich kids, sought of like the coleco was on release.

Couldn't you reverse this question  :D ?  Why get an 8-bit computer when you have so many different models of it that have game compatibilty issues, when you can get the great looking 5200 that has the ability to use analog or digital control (or trackball), up to four player connectors, audio  and video out (see 8 bit-domain) and plays all the same games (once Kenfused gets through with them that is  :) in some of the most distinctive classic game cases ever  :D

If you bought a 130XE, wouldn't that be backwards compatible with everything?

Couldn't you reverse this question  :D ?  Why get an 8-bit computer when you have so many different models of it that have game compatibilty issues, when you can get the great looking 5200 that has the ability to use analog or digital control (or trackball), up to four player connectors, audio  and video out (see 8 bit-domain) and plays all the same games (once Kenfused gets through with them that is  :) in some of the most distinctive classic game cases ever  :D

If you bought a 130XE, wouldn't that be backwards compatible with everything?

No, certain games like Demon Attack can't run on an XL/XE system without a translator disk.

There is a translator cart that you can get to play those unplayable 8-bit games, and I'm surprised nobody mentioned the flimsy fire buttons on the 5200. Even worse than the sticks themselves.

Regardless... Although I prefer my XEG to the 5200 I still think it is cool to collect for. Plus the library available to the 8-bit computers is much more versatile. Just hop over to the 5200 forum and see the number of titles currently being converted to run on the 5200!

There is a translator cart that you can get to play those unplayable 8-bit games, and I'm surprised nobody mentioned the flimsy fire buttons on the 5200.  Even worse than the sticks themselves.
Depends on the revision of the stick.

And the actual sticks don't have a problem. They're great devices.

The only real problem is the reliability of the buttons.