IGNORED

Good Disassembler

Rocko

What is a good one that runs in XP? I have distilla, but when I try to run it  the window pops up and it says something, but then it closes down faster than I can read it. Maybe you could help me.

Did you try running Distella in 98 compatibility mode?

Distella is a command line tool, it sounds like you are just double clicking on it from Windows Explorer.

Go to Start / Run, and type in "cmd". That will bring up a command prompt window. Navigate to the directory you have it installed in, and run it from there.

EDIT: If you're unfamiliar with using the command prompt, I'd be happy to give you more detailed info. Just post and let me know. ;) :)

AM

Distella is a command line tool, it sounds like you are just double clicking on it from Windows Explorer.  

Go to Start / Run, and type in "cmd".  That will bring up a command prompt window.  Navigate to the directory you have it installed in, and run it from there.

EDIT:  If you're unfamiliar with using the command prompt, I'd be happy to give you more detailed info.  Just post and let me know.  ;)  :)  

AM

Duh! I forgot that.

I am a bit familiar with command prompt, but I could use a refresher course.

Ok, No problem.

I'll write this as if you are a Windows and Command line newbie, don't take offense if I cover a few things you already know how to do. :)

I assume you've downloaded Distella already. You can use Windows Explorer to create a folder for it, I'd just create a folder called "Distella" on your C: Drive, and copy the executable file there. To do that, open explorer, highlight the C Drive in the left pane, then right click anwyhere in the white space on the right pane, choose "New" and "Folder" from the popup menu. Also, copy the binary file of the game that you want to disassemble to the same directory. For the purpose of this explanation, I call that file "game.bin".

At this point, when you look at the "Distella" folder you created on the C Drive, you should see at least two files in there, distella.exe and game.bin.

Now, open the command prompt.

You should see something like this:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:WINDOWSsystem32>_

Type in (without the quotes) "CDDistella" ... CD stands for Change Directory.

You should now see something like this:

C:WINDOWSsystem32>CDDistella

C:Distella_

Now we're ready to dissasemble the game you previously copied into the C:Distella directory. Type in the following (again, without the quotes): "distella -pafs game.bin > game.txt"

You should now see something like this:

C:Distelladistella -pafs game.bin > game.txt

PASS 1

PASS 2

PASS 3

C:Distella_

If you see the PASS 1, 2, & 3, you sucessfully disassembled the game, and there will now be a new file in the C:Distella directory called "game.txt".

If you want to open it from the command line, just type in: "notepad game.txt", which will open windows notepad and allow you to view and edit the file.

C:Distelladistella -pafs game.bin > game.txt

PASS 1

PASS 2

PASS 3

C:Distellanotepad game.txt

Hope this helps!

AM

Ah, yes, I forgot to mention that you can only disassemble games that are 4K or smaller with Distella. There is a way to split an 8K file into 2 for a disassembly, but I've neve attempted it and I think it's probably above the beginner level.

As far as the file being named "game.bin", no that's not important, just make sure it's a valid 2600 binary file, and it ends with the extension ".bin".

You mention that you never got the "PASS 1, PASS 2, PASS 3", did you get an error message on the screen, or did it just do nothing? I need a little more info to be of any more help.

AM

I'm searching right now for the thread about splitting 8K files for disassembly, and I can't seem to find it. I'll keep looking and post a link when I find it. Like I said, I've never done it so I can't give you instructions based on my personal experience.

Ah, yes, I forgot to mention that you can only disassemble games that are 4K or smaller with Distella.  There is a way to split an 8K file into 2 for a disassembly, but I've neve attempted it and I think it's probably above the beginner level.

As far as the file being named "game.bin", no that's not important, just make sure it's a valid 2600 binary file, and it ends with the extension ".bin".

You mention that you never got the "PASS 1, PASS 2, PASS 3", did you get an error message on the screen, or did it just do nothing?  I need a little more info to be of any more help.

AM

He just got an error message because it never dissasembled anything. Easy. :)

Can anyone just get the bmx part out of california games?

Hmm... I wouldn't be able to do that for you easily, maybe someone with a little more knowledge about 8K disassembly could help you out.

You can still change graphics with Hack-O-Matic on 8K & up games.

AM