IGNORED

Woes of the Hunt

videotwit

The thrifts in my area have been painfully dry lately. Heck, for the past 2 years I have rarely spotted even a grungy Pac-Man or torn-up Combat at any of my usual haunts. Now, that's not to say that it NEVER happens that I find a goody or two, but those are few and far between. It probably has something to do with being an Atari collector for 8 years. There isn't much left that I need, and that I have half a chance of finding in the wild.

But, I am not here to complain. I am simply wanting to ask a question of you all. That is:

Do you ever just buy a cart you find in "the wild" that you don't need and you know you'll have a hard time trading just for the sake of actually buying something?

I did today...

On my way home from work, I decided to stop at a few thrifts, just for something to do. Well, at the second store I went to, there was a small smattering of 2600 titles back with the tapes. Great! Unfortunately the "best" game there (collecting-wise) was Turmoil, by 20th Century Fox.

I bought it. It was 80 cents. Not bad, but I already have one, and how many times have you seen a "WTB" or "WTTF" message on any of the bulletin boards or newsgroups requesting Turmoil? I dont think I ever have...

Why did I buy it? I really don't know - but it probably has something to do with simply making a 2600-related purchase.

Does anyone ever have similar experiences? Do you buy that moderately-rare / little-better-than-uncommon cart just "because"? I want to hear stories.

~Scott

I feel your pain. Until last week I haven't found jack at a flea market in months. I've bought mega commons just in case I need a label variation (actually just for the sake of buying something). Usually I'll pass up anything that's not at least U+ (a 3 or so in the DP guide), but sometimes you just want to buy something to justify your trip out there.

Isn't it nice to know your not the only one?

Tempest

Thanks Tempest. It is nice to know I'm not the only one.

Usually I'm not so touchy about this. I guess this dry spell is getting the better of me. I guess I should reassure myself that an eighty-cent Turmoil isn't so bad, really.

(I just wish I could find an eighty-cent Waterworld. Or even a two-dollar Spy Hunter... Which gives me an idea for a new topic...)

~Scott

I couldn't agree more, I just bought a Kether disc for a Cd-i, I've never even SEEN a cd-i system. I also have gotten 5 Combat carts in the last month (I didn't have any before!!) I can find 2600 games for $3 ea, but I don't want to make the 90 minute drive to get them. Maybe I'll go for the $5 common boxed Intellivision and loose NES games, once I find all my carts (I usually hate buying duplicates).

Today I got SMS Thunderblade, NES Millipede, Galaga, Legends of the Diamond, and Ring King for $10 (total), lately that's been a good day searching for 2600 games!!

I hear what all of you are saying. I remeber in between classes, I'd go thrifting (and going to a few different towns, looking through store to store was a challenge to do in less than 2 hours to your next class), and I'd do the same thing. The last store I went to, I'd end up buying something - even if it wasn't Atari or video game related.

The last time I went, I saw no video games, but, found a paperback of "I Am Jackie Chan - My Life in Action" from Jackie Chan. And, it was a good read. I got a good amount of his movies, and it was cool to read about him. BTW, Rush Hour 2 comes out this summer! Yes!

Anyways, I'm going to go out thrifting this weekend. Hope I find something, and if any of you do, wish you the best of luck.

Al www.blowoutmagazine.com

well, i usually buy every european title i can get cheap, so that i have a whole bunch of game to trade for us-collectors that have problems to get those never-released-in-usa-games, although a lot of them are only bootlegged.

i know most of you guys don't collect PAL. but after seeing your havelists, i see mangia (mostly pal), compumates, ITT & dynamics games, Homevision & rainbowvision carts, 2PAK carts from HES, Asterix, Sentinel and many other rare (or less rare) pal items ....

yes, one day you realise that just one standard (pal or ntsc) istn't enough! because the few rare missing ones are just to hard or too expensive to get ....

if anybody is interested in getting some PAL stuff then contact me ...

What do PAL carts do in NTSC systems? Are they playable? My old TV I have the Atari on has a vertical knob in the front, so I can adjust that easily. If they are playable, I am interested in even the most common of PAL carts, just for the sake of having a couple.

Ian Primus

ian.primus@usa.net

Latest results from 2600 dumpster diving:

Football $5 in box - I didn't get it, already have the game, and I don't collect boxed games.

The only other store that had games I didn't own (Demon Attack and Gunslinger only, but that's beside the point), the help looked at what case I was at and didn't come help me!! Apparently trying to sell a 8 year old kid a used copy of Dreamcast Crazy Taxi ($8 there) is more important than my piddly 2600 games. (There were 2 more full boxes of games I didn't see, and I know that store gets lots of 2600 games often). And just so you know, I was standing at that counter for 10 minutes BEFORE the 8 year old came in. So of course, I left, that was the worst day I've ever had 2600 shopping, not even any NES games to ease the pain!!!

I had some minor luck this weekend, I found Polaris and Miner 2049er for $3, Boxed 5200 Q*Bert $5, and a Entex Pac-Man 2 handheld for $4. Not a bad day.

I know what you mean about not getting helped at video game stores. Everytime I go to my local Comic book/collectable store I have to wait forever until some pimply faced 12 year old decides to finally get off his ass and show me the 2600 boxes. The owner is usually too busy trying to sell some Pokemon cards that have been marked up to 20 times their value to some 5 year old when his parents aren't watching. I really hate that store but sometimes the have good stuff and the prices are set at $3 a game (he doesn't know anything about rarity).

Tempest

I finally had a good week thrifting and hunting!

I picked up 2 7800s with the expansion ports on each for a whopping $20. With those I got King Fu Master, F18 Hornet, and a black label Ghostbusters.

I also picked up a CX2600a for $5 at the Salvation Army.

Then, one of the local "gaming" stores let me dig through their load of unsorted boxes and I found some cool Odyssey2 games (Demon Attack, Atlantis, but no Power Lords )

They had loads of Coleco goodies and some rart Intv addons and games.