IGNORED

2600 E.T. Label Variations ????

datafreq

You should look at the date codes and see what one was made first.

There should be little number stamped into the end label. Something like

23 2R. The first two numbers is the week of the year it was made and

the third number is the last number of the year. So my example would be

the 23rd. week of 1982. and I imagine the letter is where it was made,

such as a P or a D on a coin.

My guess is that the one on the left with the lower resolution picture is the older one.

large diamonds vs small diamonds on the spaceship. i thought that was listed in the big list of label variations. the end labels tend to be slightly different in color...red vs purple. date stamps on the end label vary also. i looked at about a dozen copies of ET once and noticed some of these differences.

Actually the only difference that I can see is in the printing process. The E.T. on the left appears to have been printed from negatives that used a very coarse screen, while the E.T. on the right used a much finer screen. The screen in the offset printing process is almost directly analagous to the dot pitch on a monitor. The image to be printed is separated into its component colours (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Black) and negatives are made of each colour proof. The negatives created from the proofs are what determine the quality of the final product as they have the screen. (In much the same way as monitors contain an overlay over the tube consisting of triads of red, green and blue, and much like looking at newsprint -- magnify any image, or even look really close and you'll see the halftoning that make up shades of grey, which are really just spaces between black dots) The negs are placed over photosensitive metal plates, which are then placed on a plate burner (really just a big empty machine that shines a really bright light on the negs), wiped clean with plate cleaner to reveal the areas where light was able to pass through the negatives (which is what the ink will stick to), put on the press and the printing begins.

In the end, images printed from negatives with a coarse screen will end up having larger dots and will tend to display moire-like patterns on complex imagery (such as the diamonds in the space ship, which are much less defined in the left image due to the coarseness of the screen). Note that this has no real bearing on the smoothness of lines in the image, only in the colouration of the image -- specifically in shading, especially on very small objects that have shading, since a coarse screen wouldn't allow for small objects to contain much in the way of shading detail. Those diamonds are small enough that the shading just ends up looking like large, diamond-shaped blobs.

Plus, the register (how accurately each colour plate is positioned -- the worse the register, the more separated one or more colours will be) seems a little off in the left image, which can worsen the image quality. Register drift can occur at any time during any print run, at which point the press will have to be stopped to correct it, so it's not surprising to see some labels appear blurrier than others because of this.

(Yes, I did some time as an offset printer. :-)