IGNORED

Super Mario Bros. 3: The Lost Levels

Jasoco

Don't know if it's been posted yet. Did a search. Didn't see it anywhere. So here goes..

Someone found some hidden unused unfinished levels and enemies in the original Super Mario Bros. 3.

Complete maps located at this link. As well as an IPS Patch for SMB3.

http://www.classicgaming.com/tmk/smb3_lost.shtml

There are 14 unique semi-finished test levels and two new enemies that were never used hidden in the game's coding. Pretty cool if you ask me. And with a ROM Patcher program and a SMB3 ROM, you can try them out. (Unfortunately no, that level shown on the back of the SMB3 box with the Parabeetle's isn't one of them.)

Some of the "levels" are really crude and trippy. You can clearly tell they're test levels. There's even one with an unused cloud formation tile type.

It's neat when someone finds stuff in old games that no one knew about for years.

Makes me wonder what else is hidden in other games out there.

Arn't these levels on the "Super Mario Bros. All Stars" SNES cart?

Those are for SMB1, not 3, and they aren't lost levels anyway. Those levels are the original SMB2 game released in Japan. Instead, we got a game called Doki Doki Panic, but with the story changed around and the sprites swapped with Mario stuff. The reason why it didn't get released here because Nintendo of America thought that the game was too hard for American gamers and because the game looked the same as the original, we wouldn't buy it.

The reason why it didn't get released here because Nintendo of America thought that the game was too hard for American gamers and because the game looked the same as the original, we wouldn't buy it.

And they were probably right! I played SMB 2 on my friends Famicom back in the day (imagine my surprise when it looked nothing like my SMB 2 game), and I quickly lost interest because it was so damn hard (makes level 8 in the original look like a cakewalk).

I did finally get to play it in SMB Allstars, but they actually watered it down a bit, adding a save feature and unlimited continues (the original only allowed 2). Still it was almost impossible to beat, as those last levels required pinpoint jumps or it was instant death. In the end it more frustrating than fun. Oh did I forget to mention you couldn't warp either?

Tempest

Those are for SMB1, not 3, and they aren't lost levels anyway. Those levels are the original SMB2 game released in Japan. Instead, we got a game called Doki Doki Panic, but with the story changed around and the sprites swapped with Mario stuff. The reason why it didn't get released here because Nintendo of America thought that the game was too hard for American gamers and because the game looked the same as the original, we wouldn't buy it.

Welcome to the Forum. But are you sure you're in the right thread? This one is about the hidden unused, unremoved "Test/Debug" levels hidden in SMB3. Not the SMB2 Japan.

Also, I believe vb_master was asking if they were in the "SMB3" part of All-Stars.

Welcome to the Forum. But are you sure you're in the right thread? This one is about the hidden unused, unremoved "Test/Debug" levels hidden in SMB3. Not the SMB2 Japan.

Also, I believe vb_master was asking if they were in the "SMB3" part of All-Stars.

What I meant was that when he said that those levels were in All-Stars, I meant that those weren't the ones that he was talking about, and I just felt like posting the story behind the "Lost Levels" in All-Stars. That's all. :)

What I meant was that when he said that those levels were in All-Stars, I meant that those weren't the ones that he was talking about, and I just felt like posting the story behind the "Lost Levels" in All-Stars. That's all. :)
Okay.

But don't worry. We all know the story. ;)

Was just confused to which you were replying.

Welcome once again. :)

I plugged the "Super Mario Bros. All Stars" cart in a couple of hours ago. I played the lost levels. They’re pretty hard. Then I played SMB3, and got myself even madder. :mad: evil game. At least I found out how to start a new game in Super Mario RPG. I still like Super Metroid better though.

I plugged the "Super Mario Bros. All Stars" cart in a couple of hours ago. I played the lost levels. They’re pretty hard. Then I played SMB3, and got myself even madder. :mad: evil game..

I'm making my way through the FDS ROM of it using constant freezing and defrosting. It is a damn hell hard game. I wonder.. did the Japanese find SMB3 too easy? Especially after their SMB2, you'd think they'd either be bummed at how easy it is, or happy it's not as hard as the last game. :roll:

As for SMB3, I can make it through that game pretty easily from start to finish. It's a fun game. I just need a lot of lives. I hate having to "Continue" and start from the start of the world. Still.. I wonder if I ever actually made it to Bowser without a GG set to "Start and Stay as Hammer Mario"? I'll have to try it again later tonight.

Maybe I'll make a really long video of me playing from start to end.. ;)

The reason why it didn't get released here because Nintendo of America thought that the game was too hard for American gamers and because the game looked the same as the original, we wouldn't buy it.

And they were probably right! I played SMB 2 on my friends Famicom back in the day (imagine my surprise when it looked nothing like my SMB 2 game), and I quickly lost interest because it was so damn hard (makes level 8 in the original look like a cakewalk).

I did finally get to play it in SMB Allstars, but they actually watered it down a bit, adding a save feature and unlimited continues (the original only allowed 2). Still it was almost impossible to beat, as those last levels required pinpoint jumps or it was instant death. In the end it more frustrating than fun. Oh did I forget to mention you couldn't warp either?

Tempest

I really hated the wind levels where the only way to get anywhere was the springboard. You can warp but it's only backwards.

There's only game genie codes for one of those levels. None have the other got codes found for them.

No really there's a bunch. I found them on a website or a different forum one day (sorry can't remember which) and copied 11 of them into my GameGenie Codebook. Thankfully, some people make a hobby just out hacking NES GameGenie codes.

I really hated the wind levels where the only way to get anywhere was the springboard.  You can warp but it's only backwards.
Hehe.. I know. They're hard. But practice makes perfect.

And thereare SOME regular Warps.. but they're unsatisfying. The one in World 1-2 only goes to 2. Though there was one in a later level as well that also takes you up one world.

Besides.. if you Warp, you can't get to the special worlds at the end... If you make it to the end. ;)

The reason why it didn't get released here because Nintendo of America thought that the game was too hard for American gamers

Is this where I come in with my brag that I beat the Lost Levels the first time I played it on 1 life??? :D

I tried again recently, took me 5...my mad skillz are slipping yo.

Wow, these hidden levels are REALLY cool! This is right up there with the Goldeneye Citadel level that was found recently.

I'm really looking forward to the extra bonus games and sprites they mention at the very end.

--Zero

http://scot.sonic-cult.org/Super%20Mario%20Bros%203/

Has shots of the sprite table and some unused parts.

The reason why it didn't get released here because Nintendo of America thought that the game was too hard for American gamers

Is this where I come in with my brag that I beat the Lost Levels the first time I played it on 1 life??? :D

I tried again recently, took me 5...my mad skillz are slipping yo.

Does that mean you went through all sorts of hell before you got good enough to beat the game with one life? :P

I know anyone is going to die at least a few times before beating a game. It's another thing to watch Mario drop from the sky and miss the damn platforms by a few pixels and then seeing Mario drop in the black abyss and die. Plus seeing this dozens of times. After that you start to feel what the Coyote from the Roadrunner cartoons felt like.