IGNORED

What's the deal with the warranty card?

Dones

As you may know from reading the forums, NES top loaders are a very sought after collectible. I was a bit amazed to see them sell on Ebay at around $150 (in some cases even more). However I read a discussion were people would diss complete in box top loaders if they didn't come with a warranty card. What's the deal with that? This is kind of similar to the elitist attitude seen in a few Neo Geo collectors. Will the unit perform less than another one if it didn't include a card? It's not like they are going to mail it are they? If I follow this logic, once I lose the card the top loader becomes less than it really was worth initially. This sounds ridiculous to me but it's one of the interesting perks of NES collecting.

Do you think buying a top loader (or any console for that matter) with a warranty card makes it more valuable? Is that little piece of paper reason enough to raise the price? What do you think?

I don't know about the Nintendo warranty cards that much. But I would imagine they were all similar regardless of whether you bought a NES deck or a game by Nintendo. They probably had similar if not the same warranty cards. So what would be different from just sticking any warranty card in there from some semi common boxes NES game?

Just curious. I nver had a NES new as a kid..and all the ones I have had since or games...were loose...

:?

Honestly, I don't see why anyone would care whether or not something still has the warranty card.  Warranty cards are very easy to come by, even for NES products.

Yeah, that's what I think. AFAIK the warranty card they are referring to is the one attached externally to the back of the box. My N64 box also had it. The card was filled by the employee at the store who sold the unit. Must be some policy in case you decide to return it. I guess having it attached means the console is not only "complete" but brand new (or that the store didn't send the card).