IGNORED

G2F and RMT

Tezz

Hi all,

I am attempting to put together a small G2F/RMT example of a conversion/intro to show some possible ideas I have had.

With the source code that G2F creates, in the section at the end of the code to place "your own routine" I have placed the RMT playback routine. All of the nessasary files are in the directory, the separate generated G2F files, the rmt file itself and the separate player modules etc. This is ready to compile with XASM.

My attempts so far displays only the G2f with no RMT playback.

Can anyone post sourcecode to correctly display a g2f and replay an RMT track, I think my mistaken attempts do not restore the required X and Y regs? and where to jump to the play routine?

Thanks for your source code Heaven, your a star ;)

Much appreciated.

I can now see where I went wrong!

I will post the intro soon, I have a little more work to do on the RMT track.

BTW. Regarding the hi-res G2Fs in earlier posts, I have noticed the many raster errors I had made on the Chimera picture which were due to getting carried away with creating the picture and not keeping an eye on the number of instructions I was attempting to execute on particular scanlines. Once I've got a good many more difficult conversions completed I should be able to complete some of my own original artwork that I have partly done now that I am getting to grips more with the whole new A8 development scene!

Talking of C64 picture conversions, I have a G2F underway which is easily my best conversion so far to post soon. Still much work to do on this though, on close inspection of the instructions, I have nearly 18 changes on one of the scanlines ! so of course some time yet for that one.

I have realised when using G2F that I nearly always make many changes at one or several particular scanlines. It is best to change the registers over the course of a few scanlines to spread out the commands needed and not exceed the cycles available. With this in mind, it is easier to plan in advance.

A question for you all, How many commands can be executed on one scanline with the current G2F? it seems 6 changes of PMG position, PMG size, PF dli changes etc. are the max but then you are able to do manual raster settings which allows 12 commands. what is the maximum changes? if I only use one midline manual raster and leave the rest as no-ops will this only use that one changes in the cycles or is it that when manual rasters are used all the 12 commands use up cycles regardless?

I think I will put together a separate post with some ideas I have for other users of G2F that I have found to be the best way of working also, with the many development ideas that I think would make the program even better.

Talking of C64 picture conversions, I have a G2F underway which is easily my best conversion so far to post soon. Still much work to do on this though, on close inspection of the instructions, I have nearly 18 changes on one of the scanlines ! so of course some time yet for that one....

18 CHANGES ???? :ponder:

I don't think GED supports that many raster changes, or you'll need to bridge some of them just with PMG.

Please show the original picture you want to convert, I'm curious.

.....Oh, now I see, I must have misunderstood (again :x ).

simple calculation: available cycles in Antic E line:

+114 (=228 colorclocks)

-40 (=graphics DMA)

-9 (=RAM refresh)

-1 (=Dlist fetch)

-5 (=PMG DMA)

=59 cycles left: divide by 6 cycles (lda+sta): --> average of 10 registerchanges. But as we're working with DLIs we also need cpu time for the PHA,PLA,RTI, sta wsync shit, so that would reduce the number of changes to 7 or 6 (my estimation) (at minimum).

(even worse on badlines)

So 18 changes on ONE rasterline is not possible. Yes, you probably better spread things out over several lines.

in G2F

24 cycle for global change (changes...border...screen...border)

36 cycle for raster change (border...change raster on screen..border)

---

60 cycle = 1 line (screen 40byte)

68 cycle = 1 line (screen 32byte)

maximum 6 raster changes per line (PF, PM, anything)

Tezz, others have right - you put TOO MANY (10?!? up to 4 I'd use) changes in one place.... and thus you got into strange problems... :P

So, do change your color settings and place some ones above and others below current place.

G2F should work properly only if you change things in limited way at screen. That's why there is a "CHECK" commands available - to make sure everything goes well later (on real hardware). :)

I know, that's could come due to fact you didn't know the whole manual - as I said before, translating it is needed but it's a bit complicated job.... and some things in G2F are still being changed.... :roll: Well, we'll see what happens... ;)

As for your suggestion to improve G2F in future - well, I passed your old request to TeBe (copy/past functions, etc.) so it's up to him if they would be included.... When suggesting new improvements, make sure they are really handy etc. and describe them as simple and straight as you can. 8)

P.S. Try to finish DALMATIAN DOG picture that I already posted. And it wasn't primarly prepared by GED's author - for sure! :)

@heaven: Thanks for posting your source, how you did the fish intro. I´m attempting to do such a binding with RMT and G2f too, but even with your source my sound will be some kind of distorted when showing the g2f file. I´ll have to test with another pic - perhaps it´s a timing problem. The song might use to much time sometimes :?: :!: :?:

If I get no fortune with this other try, I´ll post my sources too. Perhaps someone can help me and tell me what is wrong...

demo.zip

@heaven: Thanks for posting your source, how you did the fish intro. I´m attempting to do such a binding with RMT and G2f too, but even with your source my sound will be some kind of distorted when showing the g2f file. I´ll have to test with another pic - perhaps it´s a timing problem. The song might use to much time sometimes :?:  :!:  :?:  

If I get no fortune with this other try, I´ll post my sources too. Perhaps someone can help me and tell me what is wrong...

Hi,

it looks as if your init routine at $42a8 overwrites some songdata.

Check the data from $4000-$4fff and replace the jsr $42a8 at $2000 with

LDX #$00

LDY #$40

LDA #$00

JSR $3400

Should be ok than.

Hi all,

Thanks for all the info everyone,

Tebe...

24 cycle for global change (changes...border...screen...border)  

36 cycle for raster change (border...change raster on screen..border)  

---  

60 cycle = 1 line (screen 40byte)  

68 cycle = 1 line (screen 32byte)  

maximum 6 raster changes per line (PF, PM, anything)

Thanks for that now I have a clearer knowledge..

BTW. I thought i'd better clarify, what I meant by making 18 changes on a scanline was to point out that I have gone too far in places on this picture and have made too many changes so I would need to correct them.

The code checking feature is certainly nessasary because you are able to produce more changes when working in G2F then is possible on the hardware, I suppose a warning could be displayed when too many changes have been made in a certain position but either way the extended details that the "check" gives when you hightlight the line with problems is very handy already.

There does appear to be some discrepancies with the checking though, or maybe it is perhaps the emulator (Atari800Win Plus 4.0) that is not 100% beacuase I have not tried it on the real hardware yet. there has been a recent update of the emulator which I have yet to use also. of course the whole point of using cross platform tools is to work 100% on the real hardware.

As an example, I have attached one of my own pictures below which is basically my version of the original packaging artwork of the Amiga version of IKPlus. When checking in G2F it states no errors but, as you can see from the XEX file in the emulator it has some errors?

BTW this isn't the complicated picture I mentioned earlier I just posted this as an example.

analmux

Please show the original picture you want to convert, I'm curious.

I will be posting that one soon. It will definately require multiplexed PMGs in char mode to produce what is needed to finish though.

I really want to push the boundaries of graphics on the A8. Thanks to these great development tools now I possibly can. My lack of good enough 6502 programming has prevented me till now. I guess that is what keeps me coming back to work on this machine, there is so much more that this machine can do that has not been done yet.

post-4724-1077500717_thumb.png

ikplus.zip

Dracon wrote: What's new or newer in this version (v3.7.5.7) of G2F:

- added: support for 5th player (you can set it in desired area of screen)

Great to see, this will be usefull in many situations.

- added: midline changes for Pixel=4 mode  

(example: Grunwald_Dracon_TeBe.g2f)

Does this work? RE: Emkays post.

added: moving data in MoveX option (you can also decide of what data is to be moved - pmg/gfx/colors)

YEH!! Excellent, really happy to see this included now :)

- fixed: some errors when creating eXEXcutable file for GED-- and when checking out for errors (CTRL+C -> Check)

I will check this out with my post above..

Nice one Tebe, Dracon you are a class act!!

Hi,

Schmutzpuppe wrote..

it looks as if your init routine at $42a8 overwrites some songdata.  

Check the data from $4000-$4fff and replace the jsr $42a8 at $2000 with  

LDX #$00  

LDY #$40  

LDA #$00  

JSR $3400  

Should be ok than.

Did you try this out PPS?

pps wrote

PPS. Would you be able to post your source? I am interested in which way you will achieve a successful result. I am having difficulties finding where the problem is myself I must have been through the code 20 times now. I guess it's time to ask for more help..

Did you try this out PPS?

Well, I didn´t yet, cause I had no time to code. I will do more this weekend.

But I don´t see a difference between this and my call yet. Have to look what´s happen then.

Would you be able to post your source?

If I´m back at home, I´ll do it - at friday evening perhaps... Have to drive with my truck and forgot to update my laptops software :-((((

But I simply adapted Heaven´s source a little.

Yeah, it's a new tradition or kind of hobby, somehow...  :D

Yes... Tebe seems to be very busy in coding G2f and converting pictures.

Btw. I know that it is more difficult to create a new Picture than to convert it. But are you still on creating pictures in G2F format?

It would be nice to see some "special G2F featuring graphics" :)

But are you still on creating pictures in G2F format?

It would be nice to see some "special G2F featuring graphics" :)

Well, I am forced to fight off my laziness as it dangerously overtakes me... :P

To tell the truth I prefer more to test/suggest some particural functions in G2F or translate pieces of G2F manual than to shock you with my images that was done in G2F from scratch... ;)

I am also to repaint titlescreen for 4PAC with the help of G2F. I am sure I'll do it in right way... :)

Hi all,

Tebe..

Thanks for correcting my IKPlus Title! Good to see that working, the picture was originally drawn in GED BTW. I always found GED's usage to be very unpredictable especilly the PMG positioning. You sure work hard. So many new updates and improvments. I'm very impressed and apreciative.

I have made 3 IKPlus title screens which I will post soon, one is quite complicated in detail so is taking a while. I wonder how the progress on the A8 conversion of IK+ is going now. That was looking very good. The last I read was that they need help with disasembling the C64 version for the main "game code".

emkay.

I know that it is more difficult to create a new Picture than to convert it

.. Well yes, drawing from scratch and keeping in mind the limitations is part of the challenge. It's kinda good to have limits because it's gives you paramiters to work within and try to do the best with. also, there are so many very well drawn pictures out there that are able to be converted. It's both nice to convert as much as to create your own.

Dracon.. I prefer more to test/suggest some particural functions in G2F or translate pieces of G2F manual
It's great that you are translating the docs. Keep up the good work with your art as well though ;)

Ok, one little request for help... with regard to the G2F and RMT sources and the corrupted RMT playback,

The post from Schmutzpuppe earlier mentioned that the init routine at $42a8 overwrote song data? I have looked through the source many times but cannot find that location specified. The RMT module starts at $4000. Correct me if I'm wrong, here's the memory locations used..

G2F associated routines $2000

Modul $4000

SCR $8000 & $8600

Fonts from the G2F $8800

RMTs Player location $3400

Based on Heavens posted source, can anyone tell me how to correct the corrupted RMT playback. On my track the main instrument plays back wrong? It uses ch1+3 with filtering

Thanks all. keep up the good work..

Happy to see one of my pictures appear on the main G2f download page :)

G2F associated routines $2000

Modul $4000

SCR $8000 & $8600

Fonts from the G2F $8800

RMTs Player location $3400

Based on Heavens posted source, can anyone tell me how to correct the corrupted RMT playback. On my track the main instrument plays back wrong? It uses ch1+3 with filtering

Your memory use looks ok to me.

Did you init rmt (jsr $3400?)

Maybe I can help you if you send me your exe and rmt.

Modul $4000

I hope You know in RMTracker there is possible to use File - Export as - "RMT stripped song file" and set any memory location address for stripped module song data (without song name and all instruments' names), also you can take advantage of RMT_FEAT definitions for compilation of greatly smaller&quicker RMT player routine. :)

Schmutzpuppe.. Did you init rmt (jsr $3400?)
I'm not sure exactly what you mean, the rmtplayr.a65 code has the player routine at $3400?

raster/c.p.u.. I hope You know in RMTracker there is possible to use File - Export as - "RMT stripped song file

Yes, thanks for reminding me, I did know that you have enabled this feature but I was using the complete RMT. Now I have saved the stripped song and have also copied the RMT_FEAT definitions (saved as rmt_feat.a65). Now when I assemble to the code it plays almost correctly, a different instrument now plays back corrupted. do you think perhaps I should use a different location than $4000 for the module?.. Any ideas?

Thanks for offering to look at the codes for me Schmutzpuppe, I would rather correct the code myself and not spoil the surprise when I post the finished project for you all. also, I would like to progress to including several RMT tracks within this project eventually so a greater understanding of memory locations and what I'm doing wrong would be of benefit. I can then post back my ammended sources for others to read through also..