IGNORED

cartridge of mystery

figgler

I want a famicom so bad. Is it regional?

Sort of.

There's no electrical region protection, but the cart slot is physically diffrent from US decks.

And the original FamiComs were RF output only. Japanese TVs work on diffrent channel frequencies than US ones. You can't get picture and sound at the same time, and you aren't likely to get much of anything.

But if you can interface the game with your US deck, it's all good.

Or fi you have a japanese deck with AV out. That works with any NTSC TV.

If you want an adaptor really cheap, there are actually some inside very early NES carts. When Nintendo released the NES, I guess they had some extra Famicom cartridges sitting around, so they just stuck the circuit board into a NES cartridge with an adaptor built-in.

Check some of your early games like Excitebike, Gyromite, Urban Champion and other... if they seem heavier than normal, open up the cartridge (The earlier ones used normal screws) and you might get lucky.

--Zero

If you want an adaptor really cheap, there are actually some inside very early NES carts. When Nintendo released the NES, I guess they had some extra Famicom cartridges sitting around, so they just stuck the circuit board into a NES cartridge with an adaptor built-in.

Check some of your early games like Excitebike, Gyromite, Urban Champion and other... if they seem heavier than normal, open up the cartridge (The earlier ones used normal screws) and you might get lucky.

--Zero

As I understand it, the real problem was a shortage of US game boards.

ExciteBike is a telling one, since the japanese version was for the FDS, and thus was not a cartridge.

So they dropped US ROMs onto japanese boards, slapped an adapter on, and dropped the whole thing into a US cartridge case.

And as far as I know, all the games with adapters are the original 5-screw carts. Later games have 3 screws and a pair of plastic tabs at the front to hold the cart shut. Early ones don't have the tabs and use 2 more screws to compensate.

• 4 weeks later...

I can second that you can play Famicom games on a US Nintendo

deck with an adapter. The adapter I used to have looked suspiciously

like a NES cart that had been cut in half! Then the famicom cart plugs

into the top of the adapter and the whole thing fits like a regular-sized

cartridge. They can be a bit fussy about getting a good connection,

but the games play just fine. There are a lot of good Japan-only

games for the NES/Famicom.

--The Eidolon