IGNORED

Ow!!!

Room 34

I never thought I'd say this. I feel like I'm betraying my heritage. But the truth is the truth.

I used to diss on modern controllers with their weird shapes and myriad buttons, and lack of a big honkin' joystick. Even the NES pads were too much for me.

Well... for about the past 6 months the only consoles I've really been playing are the NES and the GameCube. (I got on a big NES kick last fall and, since I got it at Christmas, I've logged about an hour or more daily on the 'Cube.)

Now that I am used to the 'Cube's well-designed controller (which, thankfully, includes the return of the joystick... sort of... to my console gaming experience), I have to say...

CX40s HURT!

I was just sitting here waiting for my computer to complete a mundane task. (Specifically, copying the contents of a CD-RW to my hard drive so I can erase and reuse the CD-RW.) While I was waiting, I figured I might as well fire up the ol' 2600 and get a Keystone Kapers fix.

Well... wow. I can stare through Samus Aran's visor for 2 solid hours with almost no discomfort in my hands. I played Keystone Kapers for five minutes and I found myself constantly shifting the joystick around... it felt clumsy and awkward... and before long my left hand started cramping up.

Oh, the humanity!

I was just playing 1943 Battle of Midway in mame with a PS2 controller and I got to the second level on the first 3 guys, and my hand was killing me. I was using the digital pad, but my fire button finger was hurting more. I ended up stopping because I couldn't take it anymore and I will probly get carpaltunnel now. :D Oh well, I still love that game.

Don't the Sega Genesis controllers work with the Atari 2600?

I never liked the Intellivision controllers or the original NES controllers and thought I would always hate non-joysticks, but controllers after the SNES started to improve. My Xbox controllers are pretty darn good.

Back in the mid to late 1980s, I bought some of those joystick bases where you set your joystick on a table, but a red ball on top and play like you are at the arcade. I also like those official arcade type, table-top models. I haven't held a joystick in my hands in a long time.

ehhh.. the 2600 stick has always been around. I've never thought of abandoning it no matter what newfangled controller hit from the 5200 controller on up.

So I guess that even when the day hit where I thought I found the perfect controller (the ASCII SNES pad :D) it still wasn't such a throw to go back to 2600 sticks on a whim. All those years of training don't count for nothing you know :)

These days I like the Xbox S-pad. And yeah the GC controller is nice as well (except for that Z button). But I'll never lose the touch for the original Atari sticks :)

how does the clicking drive one crazy? once again, I'll take all the things you don't want. :D

Little extraneous noises like that just bug me. Those crappy little indoor waterfalls, windchimes, Epyx 500Js..... Little kids being noisy doesn't really bother me because they're supposed to be noisy but otherwise I eliminate it if I can. Speaking of little kids, I'll probably hang on to the Epyx since some of my nieces and nephews seem to have an easier time using that one than other joysticks when they come over and want to play Atari. Plus it's so goofy looking I like it as a novelty. I'll take that Wico ball-top off your hands though. ;)

I don't know that they're actually that rare, moreso than the regular bat handle variety though. I just don't have one and thought I'd reciprocate with an offer to take anything you might not want. :) ;)

Sorry Room34 not trying to hijack your thread. I haven't really got the hand cramping from CX40s yet but I do kind of feel like I'm cheating on my old Atari sticks when I use something else. Like lately I've been seeing a lot of this hot little Slik Stik number. :love:

I never thought I'd say this. I feel like I'm betraying my heritage. But the truth is the truth. ...  

CX40s HURT! ...

You are getting soft! :P

I'd have to agree that CX40s hurt myself. I tend to keep my atari sessions short mostly because of that, which means I'll probably never roll Sea Quest over myself. ;)

"Just 100000 more points, just 100000 more poin-AH! HAND CRAMP! %$#&! my sub! ... both of them!! Aw crap..."

--

Mord

Mind you, at this point I definitely need a lot more than 100k points to roll it over on a good day. :)

For the guy who asked earlier in the thread, yes the Sega Genesis joypads had the same plug on the end of them, meaning I'm positive they'd physically fit into the jacks on a VCS, but I don't believe I ever tried it in practice (great idea, though). And I can't seem to find my Sega right now (where the hell did I put that thing).

I agree with those whose hands are hurting. I've been playing Empire Strikes Back on my 2600 and I swear I feel like an 80-year-old with arthritis. I've been using my trusty old (really old) Slik Stik, but dear Lord, am I in pain. Too...many...laser...shots....

I've seen the Redemption adapters that they sell here on AtariAge. But does anyone know if someone sells an adapter to allow the use of PS DualShock controllers on any of the Atari home systems? I personally find that controller the most comfortable for my hands, though XBox would work for me too. GameCube units are head and shoulders above any 2600 stick I own as well, but I find Ninetendo's controllers a little too small.

But I would love to see an adatper box for any next-gen system-->Atari. I'd buy one in an instant. I don't think that Atari or any of the other vintage game companies knew the meaning of the term "ergonomic."

For the guy who asked earlier in the thread, yes the Sega Genesis joypads had the same plug on the end of them, meaning I'm positive they'd physically fit into the jacks on a VCS, but I don't believe I ever tried it in practice (great idea, though).  And I can't seem to find my Sega right now (where the hell did I put that thing).

The Genesis joypads work great on a 2600. For a while I was using my Sega arcade controller (forget what it was actually called, a big heavy base with arcade style buttons and joystick). It worked well, plus it had TURBO. :)

I still prefer using the stock Atari joysticks though when I'm playing the 2600!