IGNORED

Differencies between tape- and disk-games

starraider

I don't want to make I new post this tape related!  

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...e=STRK:MEBBI:IT

Now I can put the tape files to disk!  :D

18 quid??

yikes.gif

I don't want any one to have it! :D

Sounds like Alpha Systems' C.O.S. software. Does the same thing, and should be easy to find here in the states.

You know where I can found COS?

Tell my does Transdisk IV make DOS OBJ files?  :?

I seem to recall there's a fix to make them DOS-compatible but you'll only be able to load the created files with a TransDisk menu. You'll also have to load the game once to check the scheme used and then configure Transdisk accordingly.

HowfenDOS is easier to use. Just follow the instructions and pop in the tape so the program can read it. The file is then written to a specific menu (which isn't DOS-compatible either).

--

Atarimania

http://www.atarimania.com

I didn't know that the Parker Brothers version even had a cassette version, I thought that was cartridge only...I was referring to the Sierra On-Line game "The Official Frogger by Sega" (which has both a disk version and cassette).

From the Sierra manual (the ending sentances):

PRESS To bypass "Save High Score" Option

Simultaneous play high scores are marked with an asterisk.

Sound control is through the monitor.

Music, otters, and "Save High Score" option are not on the cassette version.

I didn't know that the Parker Brothers version even had a cassette version, I thought that was cartridge only...I was referring to the Sierra On-Line game "The Official Frogger by Sega" (which has both a disk version and cassette).

Nukey, I know that already. I never wrote the Parker Brothers version was on tape, I was just comparing the releases :)

--

Atarimania

Tell my does Transdisk IV make DOS OBJ files?  :?

I seem to recall there's a fix to make them DOS-compatible but you'll only be able to load the created files with a TransDisk menu. You'll also have to load the game once to check the scheme used and then configure Transdisk accordingly.

HowfenDOS is easier to use. Just follow the instructions and pop in the tape so the program can read it. The file is then written to a specific menu (which isn't DOS-compatible either).

--

Atarimaniahttp://www.atarimania.com

If any comes out using Transdisk IV my tape files are going to on disk and on more long load time! :D

Nukey, I know that already. I never wrote the Parker Brothers version was on tape, I was just comparing the releases :)

Ohh... :dunce: Well, in the case of Parker's Frogger, it really doesn't have much to do with this thread anyway...which is more about different versions of the same program ;)

BTW the save high score function won't work with a stock** disk drive if the disk isn't notched (mine wasn't, I had to cut a notch myself). The high scores are written to the unused sector 720.

Also, a similar high score table can be found in the disk version of Roklan's Wizard Of Wor. I dunno if they had a cassette version, but the cartridge version doesn't include the table (naturally). That table is also written to sector 720. I'd imagine that there are more games that include tables in the disk versions.

** if your drive is modded, you can write to unnotched disks by bypassing the write-protect sensor.

Ohh... :dunce:  Well, in the case of Parker's Frogger, it really doesn't have much to do with this thread anyway...which is more about different versions of the same program ;)

I have to admit you're right ;)

Also, a similar high score table can be found in the disk version of Roklan's Wizard Of Wor.  I dunno if they had a cassette version, but the cartridge version doesn't include the table (naturally).  That table is also written to sector 720.  I'd imagine that there are more games that include tables in the disk versions.

No tape versions for Roklan games AFAIK... I think the disk version of Gorf saves scores the same way. Maybe Sea Dragon by Adventure International as well...

--

Atarimania

If your talking frogger, I only remember frogger having one high score and not a table.

The only difference between the two is that the disk version plays in-game music. The Parker Brothers release has no music but enhanced graphics and doesn't have the scrolling GAME OVER display.

--

Atarimaniahttp://www.atarimania.com

Uh yeah... I said that earlier, but did not mention the parker brothers version. Isn't the parker brothers version cart only?

I actually wrote a program long time ago that would convert tape games to dos compatible binaries.

As well as creating one that would turn multi-load dos binaries into a tape loadable game. Worked with most games except I had to disable some interrupts on a few loaders (blue max, etc) to get them to work.

I actually wrote a program long time ago that would convert tape games to dos compatible binaries

I did all of mine by hand using the assembler/editior cartridge to make little loaders that relocated the multipart blocks to disk. Then wrote a menu to load these. (example attached)

Quite a few titles actually required some of the code located in the bootloader during the game, so discarding the loader wasn't always an option. Mainly I just replace the cassete OS calls with a get disk block routine.

The best solution I saw was the redirecting of the cassette vector table to replacement routines that simply get the next sector from disk instead, but I don't know which 'solution' this was part of.

Regards,

Mark

sel09b.zip

I actually wrote a program long time ago that would convert tape games to dos compatible binaries

I did all of mine by hand using the assembler/editior cartridge to make little loaders that relocated the multipart blocks to disk. Then wrote a menu to load these. (example attached)

Quite a few titles actually required some of the code located in the bootloader during the game, so discarding the loader wasn't always an option. Mainly I just replace the cassete OS calls with a get disk block routine.

The best solution I saw was the redirecting of the cassette vector table to replacement routines that simply get the next sector from disk instead, but I don't know which 'solution' this was part of.

Regards,

Mark

I have a copy assembler/editior but I don't know any commands for assembler/editior! :x

Rescue on Fractalus had one weird gameplay change. Both the disk and later ROM versions were the same in that they started off at a much slower pace to the tape version. As a result, you could jump to level 32 at the start of the disk/rom version but only level 16 on tape.

Personally, I preferred the tape version.

In the former GDR, a guy called Michael Thiel here in Halle did the tape versions from Disk versions. Maybe one of the Germans here knows him.

I have some of these versions, including Ghostbusters and Agent USA, all nicely recorded on ORWO K60 cassettes ^^

What I also find funny is that some cassettes had copy protection (take Gun Law, a Commando-esque game which used extremely long data blocks so programmes like Pet Soft Super Copy didn't copy them) - you could easily copy them in such a cassette recorder with double cassette decks many mail order shops gave away free in the early 1990s if you ordered something from them.

I remember that some tapes were cunning when it came to copy protection. Tomahawk was one of them, I think. The tape sounded normal (although some used mixed block lengths as well) but in the background you could just about hear a separate audio channel. On an original, the second channel would be sufficiently weak as to not to interfere with the loading of the main channel. But when you copies tape to tape, it was often the case that the tape deck's audio balance wasn't 100% right and the second channel would be a little louder on the copy and interfered with the primary channel - thus making sure the tape wouldn't load.

Clever stuff some people came up with :)