IGNORED

Colecovision video problem

EricDeLee

Well... I drug out my extra Colecovision that I had in my closet, and decided to try to fix it. I had thrown it in there due to a faulty power switch (the darn thing wouldn't budge). Well... I took everything apart and really gave it a good cleaned (and burned my thumb on the soldering iron).

:roll:

The Power switch is in perfect working order now... but something is wrong with the part where you plug in the RCA cable.

I am getting power (the tv goes to a black screen when I push the power on... and I tested it further by attaching the Atari adapter... which will produce a picture without a problem).... but I can't get any picture from the Colecovision.

I have my good Colecovision right beside it (it needs a good cleaning as well...) but I can't figure out what the heck the problem is. I believe it is somewhere in the little box that holds the RCA jack and the TV channel switch. Any suggestions as to what I should try?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

do you have a testing device to see where the power trail ends (ohmmeter, I believe it's called) Cause what you're gonna want to do is follow the power from the power supply to where's it's supposed to end and see if it makes it... and don't just test to the RF out, test other possible sources... see if all the chips have proper power... it's possible that the cartridge slot is dirty or defective as well..... if you can't find an answer, then buy another colecovision that has a known problem, but that you know is a problem that your system does not have and use it as a parts deck.

Yep... I have a testing device... I just don't know how to use it yet. :)

But do you think it could still be a power issue... even though I can plug in the Atari module and it works perfectly?

I've checked the cart slot as well... it 'appears' to be in good shape (and clean).

Thanks for your advise though!

When was the last time you used it when it was working perfectly? Do you have CV sound but just no CV picture? First thing I'd try is try using the PS from your other CV with it to see if that fixes it. Turn on the CV with no cart in it and no 2600 adapter. What does it do then? If there's something weird with the RF modulator you can just bypass it entirely, (requires soldering).

I was just coming here to ask a similar question. I have a picture that comes in clear but then just gets kinda fuzzy. the atari adapter works flawlessly. if I wiggle to rf cable the pic quality comes and goes. I have tried different cables that I have lying around but it still does it. if I get it just right it will stay for awhile but then just goes again. I may be moving the unit during gamepplay though. does it sound like my rf plug could use a good cleaning or maybe I need a new cable? the only thing I can't understand is why this only does this with the coleco and not the atari since everything travels thru the same cable. any ideas?