IGNORED

classic polygon games

Hi there!

The Sentinel/Sentry on C64 (1986) was impressive, and a very original game.

Yup, great game (together with Elite). I even thought about transfering the basic game idea to the 2600, but I haven't found a good solution yet.

Both would be very interesting 2600 projects. Especially Elite.

Greetings,

Manuel

Maybe using a totally flat 2D scenario with a screen comparable to the one in Incoming?

Hm, that would IMO destroy a lot of the atmosphere, because then you would have too much information.

Maybe a scrolling top view, where colors indicate height and you can only see squares which are visible from your current position?

BTW: EMail immer noch nicht angekommen.

Hi there!

Maybe a scrolling top view, where colors indicate height and you can only see squares which are visible from your current position?

Will get too "abstract" I assume. Also, How many different colored squares can you possibly do? The max I have seen was an 8x8 board I think, but that was done with a RAM kernel IIRC.

Greetings,

Manuel

Will get too "abstract" I assume.

Maybe. Probably only a game for freaks. :)

Also, How many different colored squares can you possibly do? The max I have seen was an 8x8 board I think, but that was done with RAM kernel IIRC.

I thought about 6x6 (because I need some sprites too), and if you want to "see" more, you have to scroll. So scrolling replaces the turning in Sentinel (both views provide only limited information).

Hi there!

Probably only a game for freaks. :)

Very faithful port then :D

I thought about 6x6 (because I need some sprites too), and if you want to "see" more, you have to scroll. So scrolling replaces the turning in Sentinel (both views provide only limited information).

Hm... hard to judge the playability of this. Maybe if you'd add a mini map indicating your and known enemy positions with dots? I'd give it a try.

Greetings,

Manuel

The concept of the sentinel looks an awful lot like I, robot.

"I, Robot" looks (never played it) more like an action game, while Sentinel plays more like a strategic game.

:lol:

I said the concept itself, not a point by point game comparison.

BTW in I, robot. The object of the game is to "fill" in all the polygons while the "EYE" is not looking at you. Very similar concept. Sentinel just takes it further.

Earliest polygon game I can think of is Battlezone - Atari

There was also a game on the Spectrum which had filled vectors and it played a lot like Starwars Arcade. It was before I Robot so I believe it must be the first to use filled vectors. I just can't remember the name.

Earliest polygon game I can think of is Battlezone - Atari

There was also a game on the Spectrum which had filled vectors and it played a lot like Starwars Arcade. It was before I Robot so I believe it must be the first to use filled vectors. I just can't remember the name.

Ah, Battlezone was vectors, not polygons.

As for the Spectrum game, Starstrike II - a wondeful title, the best 8-bit Star Wars clone ever. I Robot beat it by a year though (SS II came out in 85)

May I also nominate Stunt Car Racer for the 16 bits - first game to ever give you vertigo.

Zarch (aka Virus) for the Acorn Archimedes was also an awesome early poly game, that undulating 'quilted' landscape below your ship, very cool.

Ah, this thread has got me going back now - those early 16 bit days when poly's were the coolest thing. Those truly next-gen moments like in F-18 Interceptor (amiga) where you choose your takeoff point from the 2D map and it zooms right in, all the way down to your plane cockpit.

Oh, and buzzing the Egron mechanical whales in Starglider II. Great days :)

Hi there!

Those truly next-gen moments like in F-18 Interceptor (amiga) where you choose your takeoff point from the 2D map and it zooms right in, all the way down to your plane cockpit.

Best. Flightsim. Ever.

Must be one of my All-Time favourite Amiga games. In fact, actually I bought my first Amiga just to be able to play this game! I played it sooo much, for example I remember doing totally weird things in this game like _landing_ on the enemy submarine... :D

Remember the digitised sound effects? It sounded like a real plane!

Greetings,

Manuel

Best. Flightsim. Ever.

Must be one of my All-Time favourite Amiga games. In fact, actually I bought my first Amiga just to be able to play this game! I played it sooo much, for example I remember doing totally weird things in this game like _landing_ on the enemy submarine... :D

Remember the digitised sound effects? It sounded like a real plane!

You landed on the sub?! Dude!

I used to like flying under the bridge but ejecting the pilot over it :)

I've never played a sim since where the plane felt as right as that when you turn. It just felt like you were flying something big and metal. I remember buying a monitor (to replace the TV) just so I could nail bogeys from greater distance :)