IGNORED

3DO Systems. Which One To Buy?

Assuming I was in the market for a 3DO (don't ask), which system is the best one to get? The FZ-1? The FZ-10? The Goldstar model? I hear certain modles are more reliable and only certain models will play burned games (not that I would do that).

Any 3DO nuts out there that can help me?

Tempest

Assuming I was in the market for a 3DO (don't ask), which system is the best one to get?  The FZ-1?  The FZ-10?  The Goldstar model?  I hear certain modles are more reliable and only certain models will play burned games (not that I would do that).

Any 3DO nuts out there that can help me?

Tempest

IM A NUT!!!

all 3DO's play CDRs

does the shape of them make a difference, or the way you load the CDs into them?

the goldstar and FZ-1 are front loading tray ones, and the FZ-10 is the flip top door like the sega CD2

if your looking to set another system on top of the 3DO the FZ-1 would be the best thing :D

i hear people complain about the goldstar and the tray mechanism, and ive heard people complain about the FZ-1 not reading CDs and the tray, the only complaints ive heard about the FZ-10 was that people hated the pop top door :)

i own all 3 and i havent had any trouble with any of them, and the FZ-1 and Goldstar i own are used systems, but my FZ-10 i bought for $37 new :)

oh and the fz-1 unit does NOT have a way to get rid of Backup saved games without an extra cd that allows the system to do so....the other systems have built in menus

but the CDs are way easy to find and are cheap (like a #1 at times)

or you could ask someone here to burn ya a copy of one of the samplers CDs with the memory manager on it

ok im just gonna edit so it doesnt look odd :D

now if you wanted to watch vcds on the 3DO the Goldstar would be the best one, just because the vcd adaptor is alot easier and cheaper to get then the FZ-1 (paid $100 for my loose one) and FZ-10

I have an FZ-1 and have enjoyed it... but I haven't really messed with the other ones so I can't really say... Not that this has any sort of importance, really, but I think the FZ-1 is the coolest looking one.

I think the all Grey UK Goldstar system looks the best :D

Some dude had a Goldstar with 23 mostly good games for $100 shipped over on NG.com not sure if it's still avail now thou, that was a steal!

I personally only owned the FZ-1 & FZ10. I perfered the original FZ-1 just felt like a better made system. And front loader, so you could stack stuff on top of it, unlike the FZ10 needs to be the top most in a setup, and have space to open the lid to get games in & out about the size of a Turbo Duo. I nver had problems out of either thou. It's one of the better systems out there, I much prefer over the Jaguar & Jag CD, or 32X, or CD-i. The CD-i is a joke as a gaminjg machine, it's mostly about the VCD abilities, but there were some cool games on 3DO, mostly available on other platforms now, alot came out on PSX, :roll: When they start to loose originallity I tend to sell off and upgrade to the next platform. :| If I ever expand on my collection again thou, the 3DO will be one of the systems I pick back up, along with the Saturn.

I'm not an 3DO expert, not even an owner, but i thought i'd chip in... My best friend traded in a whole bunch of older games and systems and bought the original Panasonic model, the FZ-1, right after it came out.

We played the hell out of it for years, and as far as I know, even though it's in his garage somewhere, the thing would still work perfectly if we busted it out.

While I never owned a Panasonic game system, I and my friends have owned lots and lots of Panasonic/Technics TVs, home audiio components and portable players, and I have to say that the Matsushita (parent company) products I've had experience with have been much more reliable than, for example, a lot of the Sony stuff that I've owned.

And Goldstar, as far as I knew, was just a manufacturer of bargain-basement televisions and VCRs before they made their 3DO consoles.

If I were you, and if there is not too much of a difference in the prices, I would go with the original FZ-1 unit. Compared to the other contemporary home gaming consoles, that thing was built by a tank.

Best of luck with whatever you decide! The 3DO is a great system that never made it because it was ahead of its time, and the cost was prohibitive ($450 my friend paid for his FZ-1). But when I saw "Need For Speed" on his machine, I knew that 3-D gaming was for real. It looked better than the PC version, which I owned.

Well, sorry for blabbering on. My vote: FZ-1.

for looks and quality feel i go with goldstar but for the long run i'd like to get pop top panasonic. i figure, the less motor driven parts the better.

thats why i only have my FZ-10 hooked up to the TV plus its the one i bought new :D