IGNORED

How to make 4kB EPROM cart (Atari 2600) from the old one

jamers

Hello All.

What I want to accomplish is to take old cartridge for Atari 2600 and do all the modifications necessary to fit an 2732 EPROM in it. I'm in a half-way it means I deassembled an old cartridge (Pac man) and desoldered original PROM. Now what? I want to attach 24-pin socket or ZIF for making changin of EPROM easier. I also know that I must cut some tracks and add 7404 hex inverter. But which tracks are to be cut and how to connect 7404?

Could anyone drop me useful hint?

It is my first effort at this field so please take lightly on me :)

Thank You for Your fast answer :)

Yes the text really helps a lot but it concentrate on 2532 EPROM. It says: "carts can also be made using a 2732 eprom, but traces on the board must be cut and changed". So my questions are: what traces? and how changed?

All you had to do was go to google (www.deja.com) and type in: 2532 2732

>I'm currently fixing a friend's Firepower and have found a blown PROM on

>the speech module.  My understanding is that I would need to put a 2532

>EPROM in to replace it, but I can't get hold of one anywhere here, so

>I'll have to use a 2732.  Does anyone have the information on what I'll

>have to jumper/rewire to make it work?

>

>Regards,

>Phil

2732   2532

01    A7     A7

02    A6     A6

03    A5     A5

04    A4     A4

05    A3     A3

06    A2     A2

07    A1     A1

08    A0     A0

09    O0     O0

10    O1     O1

11    O2     O2

12    GND    GND

13    O3     O3

14    O4     O4

15    O5     O5

16    O6     O6

17    O7     O7

18    -CE    A11

19    A10    A10

20    VPP    -CE

21    A11    VPP

22    A9     A9

23    A8     A8

24    VCC    VCC

Pins 18,20 and 21 need changing.

--  

Steve Huntley.

Swallow Amusement Machines.

*** Pinball and Videos ***

The 2732 hack is not worth the effort; not when you can get 2532's for the same price. The pcb's that AA sells use them, and they are great quality. In other words, if you have those eproms already, I would suggest just getting the AA pcb for it.

Cassidy

BTW, the first 20 or so Polo's I made were using original pcb's and a 2732. Took me forever to make in a (relatively) mass quantity.

:)

But one thing bothers me Chuck, on Your diagram the pin 8 of 7404 looks like input and pin 9 looks like output,  is it all right? Shouldn't it be swapped?

The diagram is ok. The input (pin 9) comes from the 2600 cart connector. The output (pin 8) goes to the eprom chip.

Chuck

The diagram is shurely OK. That was just me trying to play smart (another lesson that I should not say anything about something I don't know). Thanks again Chuck! I assembled it today and it works! :)

Now the next thing in my quest of atari cartridge enlightement is 8kB cartridge :)

The thing is that I want to take old atari 8kB cartridge (with standard F8 bankswitching logic) and make it suitable for 2764 EPROM. Any hints for me? Any cool diagrams like the Chuck's one?

Yes, I will give it a try. But as I understand the diagrams on jsoper's website it is the way to recreate F8 bankswitching logic. But is there a way to reuse the logic already installed on oryginal F8 atari cart? Or I misunderstanding something again?

I'm having a hard time understandig this diagram. Could You help me with it?

|     

-------------| >()--------------  Eprom

|             |/                   Enable

|                       5v  5v

A12 -+-|-                   __|___|_

A11 ---|                  | Set Rst|

A10 ---|                  |        |

A9 ---| 7            A0--|D  7   Q|-- A12

A8 ---| 4 N              |   4    | of eprom

A7 ---| 1 A |     |      |   7    |

A6 ---| 3 N |()-+-| >()---|>  4    |

A5 ---| 3 D |   | |/      |________|

A4 ---|     /   |           

A3 ---|    /   ___         

/A2 ---|   /    ___ 1000pf (0.001 uf)

/A1 ---|  /      |

--|_/       |

gnd

1. The A1 to A12 on the left are adess lines from atari 2600 cart port point of view, right? And that they go through NAND and Inverter and finishing on what pin of 7474?

2. A12 goes through Inverter and connects with Eprom Enable (is it pin 20 in 27©64 EPROM?)

3. A0 from cartridge port goes through 7474 and pin Q of this chip connects with pin 2 of 27©64 EPROM, right?

I'm having a hard time understandig this diagram. Could You help me with it?

1. The A1 to A12 on the left are adess lines from atari 2600 cart port point of view, right? And that they go through NAND and Inverter and finishing on what pin of 7474?

That's the clock input. Pin 3 for flip flop 0.

2. A12 goes through Inverter and connects with Eprom Enable (is it pin 20 in 27©64 EPROM?)

I'd use pin 22 (~OE) output enable, and tie pin 20 (~CE) chip enable to ground. ~CE high is often used to put a RAM or ROM into a low power state and it might require time to become active. ~OE controls the output and tristates the databus when high (which is what we want).

3. A0 from cartridge port goes through 7474 and pin Q of this chip connects with pin 2 of 27©64 EPROM, right?

correct

• 16 years later...
On 3/10/2004 at 9:28 PM, Chuck Gill said:

Jamers,

If you really want to modify an old Atari one, here's a quick and dirty diagram. The red lines show where to cut the traces.

Chuck

Board.jpg

Hi Friends.
First I would like to apologize both for my poor english and to rebirth an old post but I need some help and it looks that here there are a lot of people that know a lot the questions I have.
I did this trick modding an original ATARI pcb cart and I used a smd 74HC04 that works great when I placed a 27C32 Pitfall eprom. I Have a lot of TMS2516JL-45 that the datasheet says it is compatible pin to pin with 2716 (NOT TMS2716). I want to burn that chips with 2K games but when I do that and place it on my cart, it does not works.
What is wrong??
Anybody could help me please??

WhatsApp Image 2020-07-30 at 16.24.14.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-07-30 at 16.25.30.jpeg

On 8/2/2020 at 7:51 AM, ClausB said:

According to my Motorola 2716 data sheet, pin 21, Vpp, must be connected to 5V and will draw up to 5mA. So connecting it to A11 (as for 2732) isn't good enough.

Hi friend. Thanks for replying. So what must I do??
Another quest. May I use 74HC04 instead 7404 on trick modding an original ATARI pcb cart like the picture above???
Thanks once more..

35 minutes ago, pcrock said:

Hi friend. Thanks for replying. So what must I do??
Another quest. May I use 74HC04 instead 7404 on trick modding an original ATARI pcb cart like the picture above???
Thanks once more..

74HC04 will work just fine. 

• Thanks 1