IGNORED

SpaceWar! 7800 update

EricBall

For those of you who haven't been watching the project diary at http://www.livejournal.com/users/spacewar_a78/ you will be happy to know that the game is progressing nicely.

My current problem (other than some elusive bugs) is the ROM is nearly 4K. (Actually, I am quite happy that I have been able to accomplish as much as I have in 4K.)

In 4K I should be able to have a functional game, complete with gravity. Unfortunately, there won't be any frills. (Ships will wink out of existance when hit etc.) The advantage to sticking to 4K is the game can be put in a standard 2600 4K cartridge (though it won't play on a 2600 obviously). So there shouldn't be any problem convincing AtariAge and other sites to make real carts for those people who want them.

However, if I go beyond 4K then a new PCB will have to be made, and I don't know if demand will be sufficient for the upfront costs.

It might be possible to use 2600 style F8 bankswitching, although the result will be more like 6K due to mirrorring requirements. Plus no emulator support and a lot of additional complexity.

So I put it out to the community. How many of you would buy SpaceWar! 7800 on a cartridge? How much are you willing to pay for it? Would you be content with a no-frills 4K version? What if the 4K version was available on a cartridge, but the 8K version was only playable via an emulator or RAM cart (e.g. CC2)?

You could always just reuse O'Shea's game cart boards.

Depending on how many you think you might be selling you can always try talking Joe Grand into designing a new board. Anything under 32K is dead easy for a 7800 board, all you need is a hex inverter and EPROM.

I personally would love to see more options and going to 16 or 32K wouldn't make a difference for a 7800 cart board. :)

Mitch

I'm looking into making NES mapper0 boards. And making your own PCB's is fairly easy (and cheap)

I'm sure you could do a small run of 7800 boards to gauge interest. and get

somone to make some nice profesional boards if theres enough interest.

I know I'd be willing to pay more for a "real" 7800 game ;)

Note: I have no interest in making the cartridges myself. I hadn't considered the possibility of canibalizing other 7800 carts. That would certainly work around the PCB issue, although it would increase the effort to make carts.

Mitch & Happy_Dude, you didn't answer my questions.

Note: I have no interest in making the cartridges myself. I hadn't considered the possibility of canibalizing other 7800 carts. That would certainly work around the PCB issue, although it would increase the effort to make carts.  

I would be more excited about a "real" 7800 game. I think your audience for such a project would be bigger. I am sure you would sell a few "no frills" version. However, if people see a much better version via emu or CC2, they may just wait in hopes of the "better" version being released someday.

My answer would be no. Not if I knew if could be done much better for a little more cost. You would be cutting new ground here with a 1st 7800 homebrew release. I personally think you should make it as good as possible which would provide incentive for others to follow. You may want to collaborate with someone else looking to release a 7800 game and use the same boards to reduce costs. I think CGE Services is looking to release Chuck Norris. They will need some boards for that. Since you don't wnat to make these yourself, I'd suggest you coordinate with soemone who is and work out the costs with them.

Just my $0.02 worth :wink:

-Lee

OK, I'll answer the questions then. :P

Yes, I will most likely buy it, how much I would prefer to spend depends on the package. A no frills cart plus basic label would probably be in the $20 to $25 dollar range. If you include a nicer label, instructions and box then the price I would be willing to pay will rise accordingly. :)

I think I already answered the size/options question but in case you missed it, I think more is better. :D

Since you don't plan on doing the building yourself, may I ask who were you planning on using?

Lee, from the few bad pics I've seen of the Chuck Norris board it appears to use a much more complex (read expensive) board than what would be needed for Space War. Not a bad idea though.

Mitch

You can add me to the list of those who'd buy it. From what I recall you were doing the 4K version for a contest right? I also think it would be cool if you did release that version for the contest then made a 'beefed up' version to take advantage of the 7800's power, like has been mentioned in the previous posts. But either way I'm certainly interested in any new game for the 7800

I'll buy it as long as you make it hard as hell. Spacewar is the computer equivalent of fencing .. 7/8 of the time you strike .. you do not score. It's you and a friend facing off to the death!

Throw all kinds of stuff into space too .. Space Stations, asteroids, stars, black holes, hyperspace that sends you into a sun, enemy fire from another planet, orbiting star wars death star. Darth Vader heavy breathing in the background .. whatever!

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

I guess it depends on how much the cart with go for.

I'm happy you're making a 7800 game and want to support you. On the other hand, Spacewar isn't one of my personal faves ... nor does it really take advantage of the 7800.

Now, if you did a Zelda port, I'd be shelling out the cash. ;-)

Just some clarifications & replies.

I had hoped that AtariAge and/or PackRat VideoGames (maybe even VGWiz) would be able to produce SpaceWar! 7800 cartridges. Sticking with 4K would make this very possible since they could use the same parts they use for other 4K 2600 homebrews (like Skeleton+).

When I talk about no-frills, I'm not referring to the cartridge & packaging (e.g. box, label, manual etc), but more the game itself. Few variations, no title/attract screen (or score display for that matter), etc, etc.

Now, if you did a Zelda port, I'd be shelling out the cash.

The problem with attempting a game of this scale is the huge amount of time & effort required.

P.S. Any interest in continuing Gold Digger afterwards?

Hmm, maybe...

Well, I look at it this way...if 7800 is ever going to have any appreciable amount of homebrews, a new circuit board is going to have to get designed sooner or later. I'd be much obliged to see this game take advantage of one, and I would pick up a copy, simply because I have friends who play Spacewar. Plus with a larger cart size, a rudimentary AI could get implemented for unlucky saps without spacewar partners (although a spacewar battle royal with computer controlled opponents joining in would be sweet :P )

Spacewar is definitely a game that can take advantage of the multiple game types and difficulty switches the atari consoles are famous for. I'd shell out the cash to see that.

When I talk about no-frills, I'm not referring to the cartridge & packaging (e.g. box, label, manual etc), but more the game itself.  Few variations, no title/attract screen (or score display for that matter), etc, etc.

There is something about minimalism .. just the game and the physics and a faceoff to the death!

None the less I will buy a cart so I can be prepared in the event that I ever encounter a player from Michigan! :D

When I talk about no-frills, I'm not referring to the cartridge & packaging (e.g. box, label, manual etc), but more the game itself.  Few variations, no title/attract screen (or score display for that matter), etc, etc.

There is something about minimalism .. just the game and the physics and a faceoff to the death!

None the less I will buy a cart so I can be prepared in the event that I ever encounter a player from Michigan! :D

I'm looking to make it out to CGE this year, if by chance you're there, I'm seeing a deathmatch for champion of the universe :P Spacewar Tournament? Hmmm...

Couple thoughts on the new binary:

I like how it's goin, but the shots seem to move awfully fast for the speed of the ships...I'd slow it down a bit. The length that a shot moves before dying I like, but they just move so fast, it's crazy hard to avoid getting blasted.

I saw the journal and I think little options like different gravity and thrust would be awesome. You could use the difficulty switches to operate the ammo and fuel limitations, maybe? that'd be pretty cool too.

Shaping up nice though. Even if it stays a 4k title, with the proper settings, I won't need much else.

• 1 month later...
So is anything new with the game development? I note the production journal hasn't been updated in a month.

As per the development diary

I went to www.TheVideoGameShow.com this past weekend and bought a 7800. I have also ordered one of Chad Shell's CuttleCart2s. This will allow me to develop and test on an actual 7800 instead of only using a emulator. So I'm going to put further development on hold until I get my new toy.

The other twist is I had Chad ship my CC2 to my grandmother in Cleveland Ohio, whom I will be visiting in August, to avoid cross-border shipping issues.

But it is nice to hear that someone is anxious for updates.