IGNORED

Wico Joystick musing

Jacob

I just recieved my pair of 5200 command control joysticks in the mail (from an e-bay auction) I had to construct my own y -cable, however, & that was quite a challenge in and of itself. Once I got those puppies cleaned up & the y-cable wired correctly I was pleasantly thrilled, Although my grand anticipation for the "holy grail" of 5200 collectors was not what I hoped for. The sticks are good but not much better than my original 5200 sticks after a good cleaning & some aluminum foil over all the contact points. I might have been expecting too much after hearing about the wico's for so long. Oh well, still a great find ($23.50 for the pair), I'm not complaining at all. Just wondering if my feelings are common or am I being too hard on the Wico??

I just liked it because my sticks kept breaking and I needed something at least SOMEWHAT more reliable. It sure did need a Start button though (I could never find the keypad). Because when I was a kid even the WICO was useless if I couldn't start a game! :x :P

I just liked it because my sticks kept breaking and I needed something at least SOMEWHAT more reliable. It sure did need a Start button though (I could never find the keypad). Because when I was a kid even the WICO was useless if I couldn't start a game!  :x  :P

Yeah that part still sucks as the start/pause/resets are so hard to get working on the originals sometimes.

That's why the Wico keypads are so cool! :love: No original sticks are needed, besides the fact there's no additional movement coming from the unused joystick. Sometimes hard to keep the other stick to stay centered, :|

Sorry , I was a little unclear - when I first got my 5200 (about 2 years ago) it came with a set of stock atari sticks - those are the ones I cleaned up & fitted some aluminum foil dots over all the carbon dots with double stick tape with. I did all this after giving up on ever finding a set of wico's now that i have a set, I find that they are only marginally better than my "souped up" atari sticks. By the way - I have still an extra set of atari controllers if any one is interested with revision 7 circuits inside :(

When the original sticks are lovingly cared for & maintained I guess they are pretty darn good.

That's why the Wico keypads are so cool!   :love:  

Dude tell me about it. The Wico keypad was in plain view in all the brochures and magazines I had.. but I could NEVER find it for sale anywhere!! Granted I didn't have that much of a selection outside of sears and JCPenny catalogs as well as magazine ads.. but believe you me, had I found the keypad available for any price, I would've had my mom order it for me pronto so I could play my 5200! As such, all I could ever find was the joystick. :sad:

Oddly enough I think to this day and age it was only very very recently I first saw a wico keypad on ebay in a lot. But then again I haven't exactly been looking for one for a good number of years now :P

That's why the Wico keypads are so cool!   :love:  

Dude tell me about it. The Wico keypad was in plain view in all the brochures and magazines I had.. but I could NEVER find it for sale anywhere!! Granted I didn't have that much of a selection outside of sears and JCPenny catalogs as well as magazine ads.. but believe you me, had I found the keypad available for any price, I would've had my mom order it for me pronto so I could play my 5200! As such, all I could ever find was the joystick. :sad:

Oddly enough I think to this day and age it was only very very recently I first saw a wico keypad on ebay in a lot. But then again I haven't exactly been looking for one for a good number of years now :P

I am sure VGA would gladly let you have one of his six Wico keypads. :ponder:

I like the originals, but that's because I grew up on them. It was only recently I started buying the 3rd party ones. The Comp Pro gets alot of props for being a worthier stick. It's usually prefered over the Wicos I believe, altough there is no keypad for it, so it needs the original stick to operate.

My first couple Wicos didn't impress me much either, but I have one now that I love, and I also use a keypad, so no stock stick in tandem.

There's always the Masterplay. :ponder:

I just recently got a Wico stick, and posted in another thread about a problem with one of my locks becoming unlocked after being pushed a bit forcefully in the up direction. Since then, I attempted the fix (thanks to whoever told me) by adjusting the center piece on the lock, and now the lock doesn't come unlocked anymore. The problem NOW is that the stick doesn't center very well after being pressed up. It gets about halfway back to the center. All other directions center perfectly except for the up position. Is the spring bad, or just the lock?

Any other ideas on how to fix it? Or, if someone's willing to try fixing it for me at a low price, please PM me!

I love the Wico keypad; it is sturdy and looks good. However, the Wico sticks never really felt right. They are so loose and in my mind not a major improvement over the stock stick at all (except that they center!). I sold all the Wicos I had. The Starcon is always hooked up to my 5200 and I couldn't ask for a better controller (heavy and solid). I'm sure the Redemption device with any number of Atar 2600 sticks would also be a nice alternative.