IGNORED

Gameboy Advance B-Sides?

quote:

Originally posted by F of i:

Even after reading what someone's idea of a "b-side" is, I still don't understand why you would call a game a "b-side."

If two games are released at the same time, like Activision did, there would really be a "b-side" game and sometimes the "b-side" game would be more popular.

When you compare
Pitfall
to
Megamania
, which one would you say is the "b-side?" If you said
Megamania
, you're wrong.
Pitfall
was supposed to be the "b-side."

But how in the world can you call a game a "b-side" when no "a-side" game came out with it?

You can't compare
Pac-Man
with
Jungle Hunt
, saying that
Pac-Man
is an "a-side" and
Jungle Hunt
is a "b-side" because they didn't come out at the same time.
Pac-Man
was released in April of 1982 and
Jungle Hunt
was released in July of 1983. There's no comparing.

It's not "kind of hard" to define a "b-side," it's impossible unless you are actually defining a "b-side" game that was released with an "a-side" game at the same time, by the same company.

Why try to awkwardly force a label onto most of these games that doesn't fit anyway? It's stupid.

Thanks for calling the idea stupid. Notice that it is what is called a tentative title.

Now what that means is a title that mostlikely will be changed, but it seemed better than "forgotten games of the past that only nerds like me remember".

The reason I picked the name is because I own a radio station, I have loved music and I remember listening to Journey many times while playing Atari. So B-Sides came to mind as a great title.

Now if you would like to knock the concept some more, feel free. Infact, I can give you a small dagger and you can try to tear a giant hole in my dreams. Maybe you can call up my radio station and tell me I suck for trying to be imaginative.

You make the call...

Later Days,

Chris

Kilokahn:

Actually, Alex started this thread talking about "b-side" games. I didn't see any posts within the thread where someone took credit for the title, "b-side." It appeared to be another one of those goofy titles that pop up from the unknown depths of the internet.

If you "thought up" the title, that's great. That still doesn't make it a good title.

The reasons why you thought it up don't matter. If an idea doesn't make sense, it just doesn't, no matter who you are.

I don't know why you are taking what I said personally. I said the title doesn't make sense and is stupid unless it is used in an exact way. I did not say that YOU were stupid or the idea of putting together a package of games was stupid. I'm also not trying to kill your "dreams."

This may be the first time you've bumped into someone who didn't agree with everything that pours forth from your mind, but it's impossible for every idea that you have to be golden.

You will make poor judgements and other people will point them out or say, "Hey, why don't you try this instead of that?" You can't be successful if you cry every time someone doesn't like every idea you have.

Maybe instead of closing down when an idea you have is challenged, you can use your creative gifts to see if the other person's ideas are valid and can be incorporated into your own way of looking at things.

You said, "Now if you would like to knock the concept some more, feel free. Infact, I can give you a small dagger and you can try to tear a giant hole in my dreams. Maybe you can call up my radio station and tell me I suck for trying to be imaginative."

As I said, I'm not trying to destroy your "dreams." And if being imaginative entails moving a term from one segment of life over to another, the entire planet is full of creative geniuses.

My post was not an attack on you or your "dreams." After your sensitive system settles down, try reading my post again. You may see that I am correct.

Thanks,

D.A.H. from the F of i

F of i,

That is fine, but your comment about stupidity seemed vauge. I do apologise about blowing up. I usually take constructive critism way better. I have just been way busy and someone knit-picking on a tentative title is a bit harsh.

I do apologise for getting aggie, looking back I see that I never mentioned it was a tentative title on this site. Yes, it must of got buried along the depths of the internet.

Actually now looking back, I saw where I officially called it a tentative title:

quote:

At 11:52 AM 6/5/01 -0500 on
rec.games.video.classic
Christopher A. Haslage
wrote:

I am Christopher A. Haslage, co-owner of Haslage Net Electronics. My company is in the development stage of making a game for the Gameboy Advance, called "Atari 2600 B-Sides" (tentative title). Infogrames has indicated that they will allow use of certain Atari titles in the product, and have encouraged further development of the concept.

<<< SNIP >>>

I shouldn't have yelled and I am sorry. When you code and work on a product all yourself then your temper seems to get thin.

Everyone, including yourself F of i, think of a better title. That should give some help for this project. A name that isn't so confusing might be better for everyone.

Thanks for all of your help, I hope to hear good things soon!

Later Days,

Chris

P.S. I officially released that this game title is true today. Visit the site at http://www.haslage.net and tell me what you think!

[ 06-16-2001: Message edited by: Kilokahn ]

Kilokahn:

No problem. As I said, I didn't mean for anyone to think that I was calling them stupid.

If I understand correctly, you are saying that a "b-side" game is a great game that was good but maybe didn't get the attention it deserved or got unexpected attention. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

As you asked, I will post any ideas that I get in case any of them may be helpful.

Here are some of my possible titles for a game pack:

"Atari 2600 Sleepers"

"Atari 2600 Contenders"

"Atari 2600 Treasures"

"Atari 2600 Hidden Treasures"

"Atari 2600 Dark Horse Games"

"Atari 2600 Revival"

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Remember, they are just quick throw-away ideas. Feel free to ignore them.

If I think of any other titles, I'll post them when I get a chance.

Thanks,

D.A.H. from the F of i