IGNORED

My Recent Find: PlayChoice Bar Top Unit

Although, I am not a big Nintendo fan, I recently aquired a Nintendo Bar Top from a classified add. It cost me $80 and then another $75 to have it repaired (Cap kit was all that was really needed). So far I am impressed with it. The coin-op guru who fixed it was recommended by Nintendo who I called to see about getting it fixed (Can't beat that great Nintendo support). The repairman stated that he throws away the game cards all the time because of the little demand for them. :roll:

It looks pretty nice in my gameloft. Are there any must have games for this unit? I have 10 of the game cards in it now, but I see that you can get Metroid and such for it. I would like to get that and Super Mario World.

Surprisingly, I see the manufacture date of this unit was back in 1989. Seems like a little late for a Nintendo coin-op. I have see the PlayChoice 10 upright arcades, I had never seen one of these before

My son enjoying the unit in its new home... my gameloft :wink:

playchoice_1.jpgplaychoice_2.jpg

playchoice_3.jpg

playchoice_4.jpg

Regards,

-Lee

nice score! i have a bartop myself, i got it in trade for a vectrex if you can believe that. its a great crown jewel for an NES fan, the downside is of course that it plays the same games you could play on an NES. i've got 15 titles, they run about $20 ea on ebay with a few rares. some guy was even selling custom made boards that allowed you to play any NES game on it, if you ask around the arcade newsgroups somebody there might have more info on that. the game that gets the most attention is actually dr.mario, its simple enough to be perfect for coin op play. i got to like the thing a lot more once i figured out the dipswitches and inner controls. the mini marquees are also great eye candy.

the counter top model is harder to find than the stand up, and it just looks cooler. even harder to find still is the SNES model.

i got to like the thing a lot more once i figured out the dipswitches and inner controls. the mini marquees are also great eye candy.

I am hoping to get the manula form Nintendo. They said they would send me one. So far it hasn't come in the mail :(

I will have to look for Dr Mario. That'd be a great one to have.

Nice lamp.

You like that do you ? I made a few of these and have them in my gameloft. I need to buy one of those defective Jags from VGL and make a nice Jag Lamp to set next to my Jag Kiosk :wink:

Regards,

-Lee

I'd have enough room for a bartop unit in my apt.

The problem is that it would have to be a game that I'd actually want to play. Dr.Mario is a great example since I have been addicted to that game before.

Nice score still! :D

What's the deal with potatoes? You folks live in Idaho or something :D

Lets' talk stock swap, stock options, coorporpate mergers or give me some inside trading information that I can use. Maybe then we will chat. Until then, it's not "fer" sale ;)

Regards,

-Lee

Wow, that bar top unit is really a nice find!!! Lee, if you get a chance could you measure and let me know the basic dimensions on that thing, just to get an idea? I've been wanting to build my son a Mame cabinet for a while now, but just don't have the room for it..I got to looking at the bar top unit and thinking how cool it would be to build a Mame unit like that. Thanks.

Remind me to look for the PC-10 games I have laying around. I know I have SMB2 and Pro Wrestling, neither of them rare at all. If I find them, do you want them? I have no idea if they work or not, it's been sitting around for the past several years.

I would have loved to have a counter top but I could probably do better by building a small cab, plugging in one of the spare 1702 monitor and a NES deck and I could play all NES/Famicom games.

Remind me to look for the PC-10 games I have laying around. I know I have SMB2 and Pro Wrestling, neither of them rare at all. If I find them, do you want them? I have no idea if they work or not, it's been sitting around for the past several years.  

I would have loved to have a counter top but I could probably do better by building a small cab, plugging in one of the spare 1702 monitor and a NES deck and I could play all NES/Famicom games.

Salivating.....

yes! :D

Wow, that bar top unit is really a nice find!!! Lee, if you get a chance could you measure and let me know the basic dimensions on that thing, just to get an idea? I've been wanting to build my son a Mame cabinet for a while now, but just don't have the room for it..I got to looking at the bar top unit and thinking how cool it would be to build a Mame unit like that. Thanks.

I'll see what I can do. Can you send me an email? (resqsoft@earthlin.net)

I'll take some pics with a tape measure for scale and mail them to you.

Regards,

-Lee