IGNORED

help needed with a colecovision mod/repair...

I recently purchased a few consoles and while testing them I found one that actually works. now what I work like to do is use the case of 1 that looks brand new to replace the old, messed up looking 1 that works. is this something really hard to do?

another thing - any idea what this could be: when I turn another system on the game shows up. its kinda fuzzy but not that bad but it has this like static humming sound. the sound is coming through the speakers on the tv not the console itself.

2 things that typically go wrong on CV units.

1) Bad switch

2) Power Supply connector

Both of these could cause interference and the hum you are hearing.

Don't throw out those old units. They can probably be fixed.

-Lee

here is a better idea of what is happening: imagine having the console set to chan. 4 with the tv on 3. the picture shows up but its fuzzy looking and then you have that static sound.

yes, I already checked and the console is on chan.3. ;)

I am also not using an rf switch. I'm using one of those rf to f-jack plugs.

edited to fix the description of the adapter.

I recently purchased a few consoles and while testing them I found one that actually works. now what I work like to do is use the case of 1 that looks brand new to replace the old, messed up looking 1 that works. is this something really hard to do?

Here are the instructions for opening up the CV console I found on another forum. I also hear you can use a heat gun or hair dryer to help remove the front label if necessary.

1. Remove the screws from the bottom of the case, there are 8.  

2. Place the console in your lap, upright with the cartidge port facing up and the faceplate facing you. Place your left hand near the back of the console with your thumb in the controller well, and your fingertips over the ridge between the two halves of the console. With your right hand, grip the front right corner of the console with your thumb on the reset button.  

3. Press down on the reset button while simultaneously pulling upward and slightly forward on the upper half of the console with your left hand. Do this until the reset button pops underneath its little well. At this point, there should be a gap of about an inch between the two halves of the console along the back.  

4. Turn the console so that the faceplate is now facing upward. The cartridge port should be facing away from you.  

5. While pushing down on the reset button with your right index finger, use your left hand to rotate the faceplate upward and away from you. Be patient, and don't put too much pressure on it. When it gives, you'll hear a metallic/plastic pop. This may not completely seperate the two havles. If parts are still together, simply pull them apart until they give as well.  

6. Lift the top half of the console from the bottom half, and you're done  

To reassemble, simply reverse the process.

5. While pushing down on the reset button with your right index finger, use your left hand to rotate the faceplate upward and away from you. Be patient, and don't put too much pressure on it. When it gives, you'll hear a metallic/plastic pop. This may not completely seperate the two havles. If parts are still together, simply pull them apart until they give as well.

This part is harder than it sounds.

--Zero

I wouldn't suggest taking the front sticker off. Just pry the bottom shell away from the front bezel and it will come apart.

You just have to pry the two halves apart carefully. I did it without those instructrions and I found it harder to get back together, but nothing very difficult.

Don't throw any of them away! I've never found a CV that couldn't be easily fixed. Try hooking it up using an actual CV tv/game switch. Often I would get bad results using a generic one. I've never hooked it up using an adapter like your using. If the RF modulator in the CV is messed up (drifted between channels 3 and 4) you can always bypass it entirely and get a better picture.