IGNORED

Modded SNES?????

Anybody try to mod their SNES to switch between the 60hz/50hz so imported PAL games can play at normal speed on an NTSC system? I "modified" mine so far to accept Japanese imports and play them, but I want to try to do this mod but was wondering if anybody had any suggestions or experience from doing/trying it.

To play European SNES games on a US SNES, you will need to do more than just file off some tabs. First you will need to disable the lockout chip. Second, you will need to connect a 50/60Hz switch to the PPU. Actually, I would just identify the few games you like, then create homebrew carts and these will work fine on any SNES or SFC.

Get a SNES Pro Action Replay.. then plug a US cart into the back port and your PAL cart on the top. That should let you play it just fine.

I thought of doing that, the Replay will override the lock-out chip (where a Game Genie will not) but everytime and everywhere I look it's big bucks. This mod looks fairly simple to do and is almost dirt cheap.

Were there any Europe-only releases that are worth bothering with? Nintendo seems to have a habit of ignoring the European market.

Just the SNES Smurfs game that they made mention of in a 1996 issue of Nintendo Power. But then, I was probably the only one who was waiting...and waiting...and waiting for this game to come out here.

To play European SNES games on a US SNES, you will need to do more than just file off some tabs.  First you will need to disable the lockout chip.  Second, you will need to connect a 50/60Hz switch to the PPU.  Actually, I would just identify the few games you like, then create homebrew carts and these will work fine on any SNES or SFC.
Won't work.

Killing the CIC alone is enough for MOST import games(and is all the import adapters in Europe do, substituting a proper european CIC for the one on the cart. The reason the Action Replay has 2 passthroughs).

The 50/60 Hz switch is only needed for a few games that have code that actually looks at the video refresh rate(to defeat import adapters). Those won'y work in a homebrew cart. Or even by forcing 60FPS in an emulator.

You have to boot in 50Hz mode, then switch to 60Hz after the game starts(they only check speed at boot).

One of these games is Terranigma, which was the sequel to Illusion of Gaia and Soul Blazer, and a darn good game by most counts.

You have to boot in 50Hz mode, then switch to 60Hz after the game starts(they only check speed at boot).

One of these games is Terranigma, which was the sequel to Illusion of Gaia and Soul Blazer, and a darn good game by most counts.

That's why I would like to try the mod. I have been looking here and here to do this mod. It does look easy, but I just wasn't sure if it really works and if so, it can't be that hard to do, right?

That's why I would like to try the mod. I have been looking here and here to do this mod. It does look easy, but I just wasn't sure if it really works and if so, it can't be that hard to do, right?

It DOES work, in combination with defeating the lockout chip. I know some people that did it, though my own SNES is still minty-fresh unopened and unaltered.

And it looks pretty simple, though I think SNES has pretty tight pin spacing on some parts. Might want to get soldering practice on something else first.

Only the later SNES games check for the 50/60Hz speed.  How many of those European games that were never released in the US worth it?  Terranigma is the only one I know of, and there are patches that can eliminate the speed checking code.

I don't think Terranigma has a patch.

And as you said, it's about the only one worth the effort.