IGNORED

Where do they get them?

Malathion5

I have seen several New In Box games that aren't the O'Shay's stock. I am talking pitfall, pitfall 2, berzerk, circus atari and a few others. Has somebody come across old-stock and are now selling them online? If so, can somebody let me in on the secret?

I would like to expand my collection, but the prices the new collectors on eBay are willing to pay are a bit out of my league.

Thanks.

What shop is that 'Mute? I am in Mesa and Games+ (yep they are a bit ridiculous with their prices) has a number of shrinkwrapped 2600 and 7800 games. I know they had Yars Revenge and Decathalon and a few others, mostly Froggo games...

I live up near PV Mall and there's a Games + over at Tatum & Thunderbird. That store has an interesting history. It started as a kiosk named "Sofware" in Thomas Mall (remember that place? it's not there anymore) then moved over to 40th and Thomas then moved back over there the mall used to be (now a shopping center anchored by Fry's, Target, and Costco). Then they expanded to Mesa and later changed their name to Games +.

It was started by a guy named Renny Mitchell and is operated by Renny's son, Renny Jr. My dad actually used to wotk with Renny Sr. at Motorola. heheh

Back about 4-5 years ago when I was hitting the thrift scene pretty hard, I visited my sister who was in Mesa at the time. I don't know what it's like now, but I was in hog heaven at the time! Coming from dry-as-a-bone Austin, I hit all the local thrifts and I don't think I came away empty handed from one of them. Boxed games, hardware I've never seen since, loose carts, all kinds of stuff. And cheap! Mabye I just got lucky. San Antonio used to be the same way for me too. I do remember there was one chain type thrift store that had dozens of shrinkwrapped Froggo games - there must have been a distribution center in Phoenix/Mesa.

I've heard of Renny - wasn't he Flashback? I didn't know of him at the time or I would have checked it out. And didn't JerryG move to Phoenix? I'm assuming the new 2600.com owners are there as well? I wouldn't be surprised if it's a tough scene now.

What other good cities have you guys found? I'm going to Chicago next week on business, and I probably won't have time to do any sort of game hunting, but you never know.

I once hit a flea market in Denver Colorado and purchased with a friend over 200 boxed games a man had bought from a Lionel Toy Store. The bulk of the games were Activision Decathalon and Froggo Games, and Commando.

There were a few nice rares like one boxed Tax Avoiders. And a boxed 7800 Tank Command, which I quickly sold on ebay but I wish I would have kept.

I've since then sold nearly all of them or traded them to make up my collection.

I've never found a huge cache of boxed games on my own, but I've had friends who have and sold them to me at cost (or a little above). I got most of my boxed 20th Century Fox and Activision games that way.

One day I'll hit it big like that, it's only a matter of time.

Tempest

quote:

Originally posted by Alex:

What other good cities have you guys found? I'm going to Chicago next week on business, and I probably won't have time to do any sort of game hunting, but you never know.

Chicago is tough. The only place I've ever been to that regularly has games is "The Windy City Game Exchange." All sorts of classics, and a good 2600 rarity or two, but unfortunately quite expensive. There are a few scattered thrifts that I've been to there as well, but they are pretty dry from what I've seen. If your really interested, I know that Ianoid lives (or used to live) in Chicago. Contact him through Ianoid.com. He might be willing to give up some secrets of the Windy City.... maybe.

Several Years back the Fleas in South Carolina were pretty good, too. I took a trip down there with a friend of mine, and we came back with literally a car full of classic games and weird hardware. Haven't been down that way in quite a while though - and at the time, Minneapolis wasn't such a bad hunting-grounds either. Now it's dry as a bone.

[ 06-15-2001: Message edited by: twit ]

Mute, Renny Sr still runs the stores, his son is in Real Estate financing... They have 3 stores, the one in Mesa the one by you and one on Thomas by 45th street. Their pricy but have some pretty good stuff. I fix 2600s and Intellivisions for Renny sometimes and have been in the back of the stores and you wouldnt believe some of the stuff he has stuffed away...

You fix Inty's, Diesel? Cool.. I got three Inty's laying around.. one has a bad controller, one won't work with most of my games, and I haven't had the time to test the other one.

I know the store at 45th and Thomas has a bunch of retro systems. The one by me just has games (with loose Colecovision ones mixed in with the loose 2600's ) I haven't been to the one in Mesa.

Speaking of local game stores.. I know the guy who runs Gamers too. I used to do freelance Mac consulting and have fixed his PowerMacs at the store and his house in Carefree. I used to rent from the store at 32nd and Greenway til they moved to 7th and Bell.

So it looks as if the answer is: "They found them years ago and are now selling them".

I imagine that with the new interest in collecting and the message-spreading powers of the internet, the pockets of old new-stock are just about dried up now. A new find of a cache of titles would now be a rare thing. I know that the area I am in is dried up pretty good now. I get a cart or two at a time at the local Goodwill, and that's about it. Yard sales are a tremendous waste of time and gas for me anymore, I haven't found a single game at any of the yard sales I've been to this year.

Thanks anyway guys.

I actually found two boxed Intellivision carts at a yard sale last week. Las Vegas Poker+Blackjack and Pitfall! for 25 cents each. It's rare I find any video game stuff at all in this town. (anything older than the Sega Genisis/Super Nintendo era, that is) If I do, it always ends up being in the posession of some jerk that wants $10 for a Space Invaders cart because it was a popular arcade game...

Ian Primus

ian.primus@usa.net

It sounds like most of you guys have it easy! If you're ever in the Grand Rapids, MI area, don't bother hunting for Atari stuff. It used to be really abundant a few years back, and I would usually come back from the local flea market with at least a couple new games. Now, I'm lucky if I even see Atari stuff there (but there's TONS of NES stuff.) The thrift stores are getting really sparse with classic gaming equipment as well. I suspect I must have bought everything within about 10 miles of my house. ;-) If you saw my stash, you would know that's only a minor exaggeration.

Mute...

I fix Intv's and would be happy to look at yours. I cant make any guarantees, but, hey, its better than them sitting around. If the one that wont play some games is a INTV 2, that could just be that those games are ones that arent compatible with it...

Let me know if you want to bring em down to Mesa...

Coming from dry-as-a-bone Austin

Alex, I know how you feel. I haven't been able to find a single 2600 game I don't have for a month or two now. Fortuneatly though, systems aren't all that rare yet, you just have to be diligent. In fact, I found 15 loose intellivision games today for about $6. Shame I don't have a working intellivision yet.

What side of town do you live on? I'm way south. Also, I don't know of any good flea markets around here...any suggestions? I bet you don't want too much competition, but you can't be everywhere all of the time...