IGNORED

atari hook-up to monitor

RangerG

I really want the retro look so I'd like to hook my Atari 2600 up to a classic monitor. I think an Atari or Commodore/Amiga would be best. Will this work? Can anyone who has done this give me some suggestions. I want the monitor color and as big as possible. Anyone know model #s for monitors. Thank you -- great board and awesome webpage!

I don't really recall seeing any classic monitors larger than 15". A few monitors also have coaxial inputs, but if you want to use the RCA inputs that most of the Commodore monitors have, you'll have to either hack your 2600 or go through a VCR (or some other demodulator).

That raises another question to my mind. Has anyone seen any modern (within last couple years) high-quality TV that has a retro-styled exterior? Just curious.

Right now, I'm using a 1702 Commodore monitor, it works great but I have to go though a broken VCR I have which Splits the Audio and Video.

I like the Monitor because it's clearer and it has Verticle hold so I can play PAL games.. Funny thing though, it seems like most PAL games I try just work, it's either the VCR or the Monitor adjusting the Verticle hold automatically, I don't know.

Those Commodore 1702 monitors are great! I have two of them myself as even these days they're still wonderful for playing classic video games on. However, the screens have a pretty light mask (if that's the right term), so the contrast isn't as good as it might be on a more modern monitor. However, they do look good considering their age.

I especially like the embedded handles on the sides for easy lifting and the fact that they're flat on top so you can put something (like a gaming console) on top of 'em. They were also great for the Atari 8-bit with the separate chroma and luminance inputs (you needed to make a special cable for your 8-bit, but this was pretty easy).

..Al