IGNORED

What are you playing? (week of March 21 - March 27)

Adrian M

A bit late for the week of 15-19, but I was playing Grandia II for the PS2 for the last few weeks. Noticed something this time tho. The android's name is Tia. Made me think... Hmm... ancient technology that still works...

[edit] And of course, going back to double check I realize it's Tio. Whatever, I'll call it what I want to call it. ;)

--

Mord

I picked up Star Trek: Shattered Universe today. The geek in me just couldn't resist. I really like how they make it look like an episode of a TV series, but their CGI could really be done better. The characters, especially Sulu, look horrific.

This week has been dedicated to R-Type Final on the PS2.

Not the best R-Type, as the 3-D environments tend to slow down gameplay. The action stops as the scene rotates around your ship, but you always move right to left in traditional 2-D style.

The game is short, 7 levels in one playthrough, but there are variable levels that bring the total to (about) 18.

With 101 ships to unlock, there is plenty of replay value. The ships are not just different skins either. They have different weapons, forces, and bits, making some more suited for certain stages.

Five difficulty levels mean that anyone will find a challenge on this disc. I can beat "baby" without a continue and have yet to pass the first stage on "R-Typer."

This game includes a mini-game where you program a ships AI and pit it against another computer controlled ship. This does not do much for me (like watching two defensive-minded players going at it in Street Fighter). But if this sounds interesting to you, it's there.

I recommend this game to fans of the series and shooter fans as well, especially since the side scrolling shooter is a dying breed and could use all the support it can get.

Overall score: 8.5/10

I picked up Star Trek: Shattered Universe today. The geek in me just couldn't resist. I really like how they make it look like an episode of a TV series, but their CGI could really be done better. The characters, especially Sulu, look horrific.

I have that game for my X-Box.

Personally, I think this game got a raw deal. No, it's no Ace Combat 04. Yes, the character CGI looks like crap. However, most of the other things I've seen mentioned in the professional reviews are outright lies. It definitely doesn't deserve the 2/10s and 4/10s that it has received in its scores.

I usually play the Dancing Stage (DDR) games the most, I have

Dancing Stage Party Edition (Konamix in US)

Dancing Stage Fever (PS1 & PS2 Versions!)

and Dancing Stage Megamix (PS2)

Dunno about you guys but the amount of songs in the UK is much lower

than the US, you guys have it lucky! :) :sad: :|

Playing GTA Vice city right now.

I am at the last Club mission where you have to rob the bank. I have been logging some serious time on this game and I am not really that impressed with it.

It was fun at first but seems more like work at this point. Also there are times when you are running and get stuck in nasty jaggies in corners. Not fun when you have 10 gang members plugging away at you.

At this point it is not so much fun as a mission to beat the thing.

I'm really getting into Star Trek: Shattered Universe, but this game is insanely hard! I'm playing on Easy level, and i'm having my butt kicked over and over. On the third or fourth level, you have to use your shuttlecraft fighter to destroy 4 Federation starships and an Orion pirate ship, along with a veritable cloud of enemy fighters! And keep the Excelsior from being destroyed in the crossfire. I'm not sure if I will ever make it to the end of this game. It's always chucking fighters at you. Every time it looks like you've finished the level, another capital ship (or two) warp in, and you have to jump into yet another fight.

One thing I love about this game is the way they present the levels and such. It really does look and sound like a television series. George Takai is great as captain of the Excelsior. He really sounds the part. I wish Paramount had come out with a Star Trek: Excelsior series like they were thinking about as being the anchor for the UPN Network instead of Voyager. If this game is any indication, it would have been great.

Another thing about modern 3D space shooters is that they tend to disorient you pretty quickly. The creators use true three dimensional space, and it gets hard to figure out what you're doing sometimes. In science fiction, all the ships are on the same level plane. These game designers need to work the same thing into their games, using the plane of the galactic disk as a horizon line. Up and down in 3D space would still be the same, it's just that you would automatically stay aligned with the galactic horizon to keep you from being disoriented. I gave up early on Starlancer and Bang! Gunship Elite on the Dreamcast because of this reason.

I've been horribly bad at getting time to play games these last few weeks... I have been playing:

Solitaire on the computer -- Yeah, it's solitaire and not good, but I've been procrastinating on doing some stuff and that's the perfect game.

Three new Dreamcast games -- I got my hands on a bunch of games for the Dreamcast that might get released in the near future, and of those three have really been tickling my fancy lately. For as much time as I've wasted playing solitaire, I've wasted more playing these...

Smackdown 2 (PSX) -- With the exception of some NES wrestling games, I've never found them too much fun. Smackdown 2 is really great, except the load times are horrible.

I want to get to play the following during the rest of this week:

Grandia II (Dreamcast) -- I'm at the final showdown, but for some reason I saved the game a few months ago and haven't played it since. I need to finish it!

Grandia (PSX) -- I just picked this up the other day. I loved the second one (even though I haven't beat it) and I really want to play the first. What can I expect? Does it live up to the second installment?

Tomb Raider (Dreamcast) -- I've never actually played a Tomb Raider game for more than a few minutes at a time, and Lara's been screaming at me from my Dreamcast collection to give her a try. Which one is better to start with?

Grandia 1 is rock hard and man Grandia 2 is Childs Play!

Man that game is so easy i didn't even die once! ;)

Overall get Grandia 1 before it's too late or you will regret it! :)

over the two tomb raider games on DC i'd say get TRTLR (IV) it's more challenging and the game is longer! :)