IGNORED

Blaster 5200 & 8-bit Protos Released

Albert

This is cool! I played the MAME version last night before this was released. It's amazing how close these two versions are in gameplay/graphics! The 5200 version is a tad sluggish compared to the arcade, but still highly playable!

One thing I wonder though: How do you die in the game? :ponder:

Ok here is my take on an exe version of Blaster, suitable for making flash carts, loading via 'load exe' option of emulator, etc.

The changes I made from the original version:

Removed write to Port B (wouldnt run on XL/XE, it turned the OS ROM off)

Removed copy protection @807A

Removed copy protection @BAE9

Should run on any Atari computer with 48k.

Enjoy

Steve

blaster__cracked__xlxe_mod_.exe.gz

It certainly has that Eugene look.. :)

I noticed that it does a lot of extra jumping (ie a JSR to a JMP instruction and so on...). I wonder what the overhead of all these jump tables is. I guess what I'm thinking is: I bet there are some ways this game could be sped up. :)

(how fast is the line routine... :ponder: )

-Bry

This is cool! I played the MAME version last night

This game is also on Midway Arcade Treasures for the gamecube. I have gotten thru all 20 levels on that version and got to paradise (gotta love those spinning babes :D )

One thing I wonder though: How do you die in the game?  :ponder:

The beginning of the 8bit version is pretty slow, but once you get to about 400K it is really tough. Post some high scores and you will find out just how to die in the game :P

Stage 1-1 = awesome.  Reminds me a heck of a lot of StarFox, which came out what, 10 years later . . .  

Stage 1-2 = What in the heck do you do?  I get the tunnel, and then it's just a random starfield animation.  I can shoot, but I don't see the point.

And there were only 500 arcade Blaster machines made?  Odd how I actually have played this before (I believe at Birmingham's Riverchase Galleria Arcade in about '88-'89) and I live in a gaming ghetto . . .  

But the game needs music . . . I recommend Pink Floyd. :)

This is the problem I was having in MESS.

You finish stage 1-1 and then you go through the "time tunnel" which is a series of rings that fly by your ship. You're supposed to pick up humanoids on this stage, but in MESS the humanoids don't appear.

Then the time tunnel stage ends and a starfield stage begins. But no enemies appear on this stage either and the level just goes on forever.

No matter what level you start the game on, you only get one level of actual fighting and then you get stuck on a level where there are no enemies to shoot.

Atari800Win doesn't seem to have this problem tho.

I shall try it, then . . . Thanks . . .

And way too much 5200 stuff doesn't work in MESS . . . Even Pitfall II and Mountain King don't.

I guess what I'm thinking is: I bet there are some ways this game could be sped up. :)

(how fast is the line routine...  :ponder: )

It does seem to run somewhat slowly for the number of lines that are on the screen-- especially considering that it's nothing but horizontal and vertical lines, which you can optimize the frell out of. The fact that everything is made of squares (meaning every line has another same-length line parallel to it) might allow for even deeper optimization.

BTW, you can pick the starting level by pressing SELECT and OPTION, all the way up to 8-3 (or thereabouts). You can get around 900 thousand points just by finishing that one wave.

I give up trying any help would be useful! thanks :)

Get Atari800Win. The original .bin file runs perfectly on it . . .

I've gotten 99K so far as a high score . . . This is a great game . . . Thanks to Tempest and whoever else got Jarvis to let this puppy out.

What are your settings on Atari800win to get this game to run? I can get a bunch of other A8 games to run but not this one. I've been messing with the settings nut nothing seems to help. I got it to run in mess but it doesn't display correctly but at least it loads and starts.

Just select it as a rom cartridge. You might need to disable any extras, like devices H:, R:, fast I/O...but I didn't. It executed normally.

If you are using the 5200 rom, just select machine type = 5200 and select the cartridge. If the boot screen isn't showing the title, the rom isn't attached...so open up the rom cartridge menu and attach it.

Zylon the zinging lurker! :lol:

:lolblue: Who was that masked man?

Hint: With Atari800Win+, you can drag most types of files right into the window.

Hint #2: Under the File Menu you can select whatever kind of file you wish.

This ROM will not run in XL/XE mode, BTW, but Steve Tucker has posted a fixed version.

I give up trying any help would be useful! thanks :)

Get Atari800Win. The original .bin file runs perfectly on it . . .

I've gotten 99K so far as a high score . . . This is a great game . . . Thanks to Tempest and whoever else got Jarvis to let this puppy out.

What are your settings on Atari800win to get this game to run? I can get a bunch of other A8 games to run but not this one. I've been messing with the settings nut nothing seems to help. I got it to run in mess but it doesn't display correctly but at least it loads and starts.

800XL . . . Make sure to rename the file extension to .rom . . .

My high score so far, 198,900 . . . But then I've always been pretty good at games created by Eugene Jarvis . . . :) The man knows how to make one heck of a shooter.