IGNORED

ADAM 5 Level DK Jr.

Tempest

I finally got to try the 5 level DK Jr. game for the ADAM. I haven't played the Colecovision version of DK Jr. in quite awhile, but I can tell that they added alot of the missing animations and cut scenes to the game (and possibly some new tunes). The fifth level was odd to say the least. Mario's Kitchen (the fifth level) has to have been some kind of homebrew hack, I can't believe Coleco would make such an odd level. It was neat, but I couldn't figure out how to get across the chains at the top of the screen.

Awesome stuff, I can't wait to try it again. Too bad you need a colecovision controller to start the game, I hate doing that swap right before it starts.

Tempest

I had a version of that that said "RELEASED TO THE PUBLIC DOMAIN" on the title screen. I think it may be different or a later version than the other versions out there. ecoleco supposedly sells the public domain version. Try this, at the level select screen press and hold in the left and right fire buttons before selecting the level. There was a easter egg code I used to enter at this point when playing it years ago. I don't know if I'm not remembering the code correctly or if it just doesn't work on the non-public domain version. Do you have that animation in yours of Dk Jr. riding an umbrella, chasing after Mario/DK in a helicopter over the sea?

You don't go across the chains at the top IIRC. You get on top that platform on the right and jump to the top of the mixer to get across the screen. Can you plug an Atari/Sega stick into player one and select level with player 2 port instead of switching?

Since you're into tracking down protos, see if you can find a copy of the Super Frontline demo for ADAM. It's out there but I've never seen it. I saw some guy selling one in an ADAM Ebay auction but he wanted like $850 for this whole huge setup and wouldn't split anything up or make a copy of it. Of course it didn't sell.

Do you have that animation in yours of Dk Jr. riding an umbrella, chasing after Mario/DK in a helicopter over the sea?

It had DK Jr. on the umbrella, but no helicopter.

Can you plug an Atari/Sega stick into player one and select level with player 2 port instead of switching?

No. You can get past the first selection screen with the joystick in port two, but not the second one. Seems like all ADAM tape games are like this.

I had a version of that that said "RELEASED TO THE PUBLIC DOMAIN" on the title screen.

Mine doesn't say that on the title screen, but the tape has a label that says "FMH Public Domain Software"

Tempest

No very far, I've got to try harder. I'm not 100% sure how the controls work. Is it a reaction based thing like the arcade version or is it an action based game? The timing was really throwing me off.

No I didn't try the level select. I'll give it a shot tonight.

Tempest

No very far, I've got to try harder.  I'm not 100% sure how the controls work.  Is it a reaction based thing like the arcade version or is it an action based game?  The timing was really throwing me off.

Tempest

It's actually both. On some levels you have to follow a pattern, like the arcade, on others it's completely free roaming. On the falling platforms you have to run against the faces blowing at you to stay on. When you jump to a platform you need to run to the door before it collapses. You can only let 5 platform stops go by before they run out. The skull hallway has a pattern and there's visual * clues given on the floor. The right button is the sword, the left button has no function on this screen. The last move is left, left out the far door on the right side of the screen. On the burning ropes screen you have to wait for the "swoosh" sound to press jump. Watch out for those random flames that jump up between platforms. In the weapons room the left button doesn't function. There's a pattern but I don't remember it and haven't figured it out yet. Ramps and Giddy Goons there's no pattern, just carefully jump and don't fall. Tentacle room, there's a pattern. The Deadly Checkerboard, there's no pattern, just avoid getting fried, hit the knight when he's green, each time you hit him when he's black he'll stay green longer then next time, run out the door after killing him. Singe screen, jewels randomly appear sometimes underneath the boulders you need to hide behind, you need to try to get Singe to ignite the wall of thorns that blocks your way to Daphne and the sword.