IGNORED

How do I play Mario Bros? Got one with a "woody" o

thx1138

I scored a nice little bundle on eBay recently. :)

This one; http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...MEBWN%3AIT&rd=1

Well pleased with that! The Atari works, so does the C64 contrary to the sellers belief, and the Spectrum though faulty can be reapired.

But, I couldn't quite figure out what to do in Mario. :ponder:

Anyone? :twisted:

Nice haul! Wow. *Jealous of 6-switch* I also got Mario last week and I thought I'd just jump on top of the turtles or something, but that only killed me. Heh, I haven't toroughly read the manual yet, but as I figured out Donkey Kong immediately I thought Mario wouldn't be hard to understand. :roll: I know, I should be ashamed haha.

You guys never tried jumping when an enemy is on the platform above you?  

There's your clue, now have fun figuring out the rest.  it's a great little game.

Specifically when an enemy is directly above you. And I agree with Nova... GREAT game. Check out Return of Mario Bros. from the AA store. A great game made even better due to more faithful graphics.

Be careful, some you have to bump twice. And after the first bump, they run a bit faster until you hit 'em the second time.

I just got this game last month, it's a blast. And the 2 player feature kicks too! Invited my cousin over to play Atari other night, we played Mario for hours. That is, until we played Kaboom. He'd never seen Kaboom...he was hooked. Now his all time favorite game.

I have yet to try the 2-player function on most of my games as I can't find a suitable victim that actually wantsto play those "silly old games" with me. Thanks for the tips though, heh now I remember again. I had played Mario Bros. before on the NES, but that is so long ago I forgot how it worked.

I can't find a suitable victim that actually wantsto play those "silly old games" with me.

I know what you mean. The other day my brother in law was over and we were playing arcade games on my MAME cab, which he loves. However, when I dragged out the Atari games he just laughed. :?

-S

I gotta disagree here, because I thought Mario Bros. was absolutely horrible on 2600. The Commodore 64 version is excellent however, so try and track that one down. Better yet, play it on Mame, as the arcade version is fantastic and the most challenging.

Basically you need to hit your enemies from beneath then jump up to the level they're on and kick them off before they wake up.

It's an interesting idea that is not well executed on the 2600.

--Jason

I like the 2600 mario bros. but there is a glitch that lets you get infinite points. When you get to the first stage with the green blobs and leave one of the regular enemies and just keep getting the green things and you will get points every time. You really just have to play to get to the farthest stage and not for points.

Mario Bros. rules. Yeah the 2600 version is kinda iffy (I mean, that hack Return of Mario Bros. here at AtariAge looks so much better...atari just got lazy) it plays alright though. This game on 2player is so fun, especially in the later levels.

5200 version=good

7800 version=just got it, funky sound (REALLY different from the others) but it's fun. You can't be running one way and jump back the other way like in the other versions. Or that may be only the 5200.

NES version=perfection

I like the 2600 mario bros. but there is a glitch that lets you get infinite points. When you get to the first stage with the green blobs and leave one of the regular enemies and just keep getting the green things and you will get points every time. You really just have to play to get to the farthest stage and not for points.

I think those green blobs are supposed to be fireballs... ;)

Ooh it's a little bugger innit?

I keep having "just one more go". Can't make it past level 10 yet.

My only real gripe, and it's minor, is that I can't always see the fireballs when they clash with the tubing on thge background.

I hope to get a bit better at this game. Reminds me very slightly of the 16k Spectrum game Jumping Jack.

Nope.... Fireballs and green blobs are TOTALLY different. Have you ever played the game?

To the untrained eye, the Spectrum in front of the Atari 2600 in one of the pictures looks like it could have been a computer keyboard adapter for the 2600.

Anyway, I got myself a 6-switch Atari 2600 on eBay recently which just came in today along with 25 games for it. Works great. Just found out that the joystick ports are way near the bottom of the system in the back of it, rather than where I would normally find them.

Nope.... Fireballs and green blobs are TOTALLY different. Have you ever played the game?

No I just guessed fireballs, even though I have never ever played any mario game in my life. :roll:

Well I'm sure they are something more than just a "green blob" since I play the far superior 8-bit (and arcade) versions I'm not sure. It's been ages since I messed with the 2600 version.

Since the fireballs can be construed as a blob, I guessed that was what you were referring to cause I doubt they were the turtles or the coins that come out when you eleminate a creatures.

We have mario, luigi, turtles, crabs, fireflies, mr ice, coins, and fireballs. Just off the top of my head. You mention staying on the first level with green blobs and getting the green things. Are you saying the green blobs and green things are one and the same, or are the green things fireballs?

Fireballs are the onlything I can think of one can continually get without advancing to the next level.

I gotta disagree here, because I thought Mario Bros. was absolutely horrible on 2600.

I, on the other hand, have always been stunned at how accurate the gameplay is on the 2600. I mean, the system was designed basically to play Pong variations. There was no way they could have envisioned the complex gameplay of Mario Bros. working as well as it does. If the gameplay had been no good (like, say, Donkey Kong Junior) I would never have bothered to create the Return of Mario Bros. hack.

I like the 2600 mario bros. but there is a glitch that lets you get infinite points.

I wouldn't really call that a "glitch", since you still have to avoid the enemies to rack up the points. I'd call it an "easy high-score strategy". I do agree that a high score is not the point on *any* version of Mario Bros.

I mean, that hack Return of Mario Bros. here at AtariAge looks so much better...atari just got lazy

As I said back when I first released Return of Mario Bros. (and alluded to earlier) I have nothing but the greatest respect for the Atari programmers who put together the 2600 version of Mario Bros. As for the poor state of the graphics, I wouldn't say they were lazy. You need to remember that it was a lot more difficult to test a game back then. You couldn't just change the graphics, recompile and run it like I could. It was a time consuming process. They may have felt that once the graphics were good enough they weren't going to bother tweaking them any more when they had to actually get the gameplay done. They were probably on a deadline and, frankly, in the choice between graphics and gameplay, give me gameplay anytime. And Mario Bros. on the 2600 has that.

NES version=perfection

The NES version is still not perfect. Compared to the arcade, the enemies are smaller, the colors are fewer and the flickering on some sprites can be nerve wracking.

We have mario, luigi, turtles, crabs, fireflies, mr ice, coins, and fireballs

turtles = Shellcreepers

crabs = Sidesteppers

fireflies = Fighterflies

mr ice = Slipice

coins = wafers (officially, in the 2600 version)

mr ice,...

Bingo, I didn't know the name and they show up green on my tv, you only get 500 or something for them but they keep coming out one after another

Yeah that's it! Strangely enough mr ice looks blue to me in that picture you snapped. :?

I like the 2600 mario bros. but there is a glitch that lets you get infinite points.

I wouldn't really call that a "glitch", since you still have to avoid the enemies to rack up the points. I'd call it an "easy high-score strategy". I do agree that a high score is not the point on *any* version of Mario Bros.

Maybe cheat would be a better word? This method kinda reminds me of the camping method used in the arcade asteroids. Frankly those methods bore me to tears, but are interesting non-the-less

They may have felt that once the graphics were good enough they weren't going to bother tweaking them any more when they had to actually get the gameplay done.  They were probably on a deadline and, frankly, in the choice between graphics and gameplay, give me gameplay anytime.  And Mario Bros. on the 2600 has that.

It's amazing the number of 2600 games where a screenshot does not do them justice. Especially alot of the later games. The look like crap, until you play them then it all makes sense. Games back then definetly required more imagination (to play) then games these days.

NES version=perfection

The NES version is still not perfect. Compared to the arcade, the enemies are smaller, the colors are fewer and the flickering on some sprites can be nerve wracking.

I never liked the NES version at all, although the version included in the Mario games for the GBA is pretty fun (cause you can change your direction in midflight). Changes the gameplay experience.

We have mario, luigi, turtles, crabs, fireflies, mr ice, coins, and fireballs

turtles = Shellcreepers

crabs = Sidesteppers

fireflies = Fighterflies

mr ice = Slipice

coins = wafers (officially, in the 2600 version)

Thanks for the info. I grew up on the A800 version and was not real familar with them and too lazy to pay attention even after playing mame.