IGNORED

2600 Troubleshooting

iloserman

Hi all,

I just got an Atari 2600, NES, and SNES from my frined for $20.

Well the two nintendo systems work, but im having trouble getting my New Atari to work. I'm sure its getting power, just I can't get images to display on screen, nor any sound. I think I might not have the right video port, or maybe something else i'm doing wrong. Could someone point me to the right direction of documentation, or link me to a product that will split the output into standart Audio Visual cables ( The Red White and Yellow)

Thanks,

ILoserMan

Are you using a switchbox or an adaptor or are you just plugging the cable that comes out of the Atari directly into the RCA jack on the back of your TV? It will physically plug in but it's a totally different signal. You'll need to get an adaptor if you aren't using one.

-S

Atari directly into the RCA jak on the back of your TV? It will physically plug in but it's a totally different signal.

Well i tried going directly like that, but I soon fiqured out that it wont work in the RCA jak, I have a plug in the back called something like A/V Network or Active A/V Network, that didn't seem to work either, I am guessing that I need an adaptor, which is why im going to run out to radio shack and grab one.

Thanks for the link Fretwobbler :D

Yeah a scart lead you know Seperate wires for the left and right audio and a third wire for the Video!

they are usually Red Yellow Or White Colors! :)

Er - that's not SCART...

and sometimes have a long

box like connector with usually 21 or so pins! 8)

That's SCART. :)

SCART (or PERITEL) is a 21-pin connector which has, among others, RGB in, RGB out, video in, video out, Left channel audio in and out, Right channel audio in and out, Chroma/Luma, ground (of course), blanking select (to toggle RGB or Chroma/Luma IIRC), Widescreen/Normal select, and a video active line to say when the source is to be used. Of course you don't need to connect all of these if you don't want to.

It quite possibly also has the Kitchen Sink in it somewhere....

ahhh...got ya.

Another Question, While im here, are there any tutorials on MODing an Atari (oviously a 2600) to use the RCA? [ The red yellow and white cables ] I found one for Atari Jr. but I think thats a different system to an extent, and wouldn't want to screw over my 5 day old baby :P

Another Question, While im here, are there any tutorials on MODing an Atari (oviously a 2600) to use the RCA?

Tutorials, no - guide, yes.

I use Ben Heckendorm's mod - www.classicgaming.com/vcsp (in the archive section I think - it's there somewhere) but if you're going to mod an Atari you need to know at least which end of a soldering iron to hold.... don't try it unless you're at least fairly confident with a multimeter and all that.

Well I've done various MOD, and Hack jobs on my computer before (I'm not that dumb to hold the soddering Iron backwards, but I've tried to grab it as its rolled off the table a few times :roll: ) I've got the tools, just need the documentation :D

Ouch. :)

In that case you should have no problem. Let us know how you get on (it's not a hard mod so you should be fine!)