IGNORED

Castlevania IV is AWESOME!

StanJr

I can't believe SO many people trash this game. It is HEADS above Bloodlines for the Genny. The graphics, sound, story, gameplay are ALL better.

Sure, once you get going you can beat it in a couple of sittings, but whoop-dee do. Its fun to play, its TOTALLY Castelvania, and features some great new innovations.

I just beat it and had a BLAST doing so. MUCH more fun than I had with Bloodlines.

Am I alone in loving this game?

(ah well, on to Dracula X, what a stupid name for a Castlevania title.... :roll: )

:jango: :spidey:

Super Castlevania IV is the best Castlevania game besides Symphony of the Night IMO.

My conclusion:

If you like the traditional "stiff" controls and design of the original Castlevania then Castlevania IV and especially Symphony are not in the same mold. Bloodlines and Dracula X are much more traditional and hence people like them more.

Not me though, give Super Castlevania IV any day.

:D

Easily one of the best Castlevanias ever and probably my favorite SNES game.

The worst thing about it is its difficulty, or lack thereof.. But, the music is great, so much better than anything else we had heard at the time for Castlevania. Great bosses, great design.. rarely any cheap areas. And it is also one of the best because it lacks the Metroid elements. IMHO, Castlevanias should just be action, not searching for keys to locked doors all day.

I can't believe SO many people trash this game.  It is HEADS above Bloodlines for the Genny.  The graphics, sound, story, gameplay are ALL better.  

Sure, once you get going you can beat it in a couple of sittings, but whoop-dee do.  Its fun to play, its TOTALLY Castelvania, and features some great new innovations.

Yeah I know what you mean. I remember how novel it was back then that you could actually fire your wip in eight directions (LOL) and that you could swing with it. The nimble wip trick was pretty cool (but made the game easier). Some stages were just cool system showcasers (eg, the chandelier stage, the one with the rotating background). The music is awesome --- it's way up there with Actraiser. I heard this game was made by Treasure guys.

In this game, Belmont is at his most agile. No whip thrower before or since has been able to swing the whip in 8 directions. The swinging from the outcroppings, crumbling bridges, rotating rooms, swinging chandeliers, the ghosts in the treasure level, and the superb music help make this game the most memorable of its era. Castlevania III is more complex with multiple characters and non-linear paths. Castlevania Bloodlines is more difficult and offers two balanced characters. Dracula X we never got, (the SNES version being inferior), but is full of secret paths, alternate levels and bosses, has a second character, superior music, and cutscenes that continue the story.

On the subject of Castlevania, I got a Mame Rom the other day called "Haunted Castle". Didn't think much about it, just another one for the collecection. I decided to give it a whirl and to my surprise it was Castlevania! Apparently it predated NES Castlevania and flopped in the arcades from what I've read about it. It seems pretty fun to me though, check it out if you haven't already.

Haunted Castle has three primary faults:

The hit detection is unfair, you rarely hit and they infallibly hit.

The enemies take way too much damage off the life meter.

One life, three continues before restart.

If you get to the first level boss, you have played this game for longer than its worth.

And for those of you who think CV IV is too easy, try playing the second quest. About the time you get in the Castle, you may as well forget it. There are just too many bats and other things to kick your face in. I am stuck in the Treasury, a level I breezed through the first time. :)

:spidey:

I can't believe SO many people trash this game. It is HEADS above Bloodlines for the Genny. The graphics, sound, story, gameplay are ALL better.  

Sure, once you get going you can beat it in a couple of sittings, but whoop-dee do. Its fun to play, its TOTALLY Castelvania, and features some great new innovations.  

I just beat it and had a BLAST doing so. MUCH more fun than I had with Bloodlines.  

Am I alone in loving this game?  

you are not alone... it's one of my all-time favorites... preach it brother!!

bloodlines was so hulky, and unweildy and outdated feeling compared to CV4... they're both good games, but to me, bloodlines was like CV1 without the charm of CV1... CV4 is the ultimate CV game IMO with no better CV game before or after it.... and it had some of the, if not the best music on the system..... there has been one or two occasions where I've played it just to hear the music... I actually play, though so I have something to do while listening as opposed to sitting there with the option screen up... has anybody else played it just to hear the music, or even just to see the cylindrical room in the rotating dungeon? (still impressive in the 128+bit era)

p.s. I heard a rumor about a bonus stage, and there's a music track on the game that doesn't correspond with a level... can anybody confirm or deny the bonus level and tell me how to get there if it's true?

thanks

Hi there!

I highly doubt that any console version is better than the 3 GBA Castlevanias.

Greetings,

Manuel

Circle of the Moon was good, but Aria of Sorrow... ugh.

I never played Harmony of Dissonance.

• Like 1

Hi there!

Circle of the Moon was good, but Aria of Sorrow... ugh.

I never played Harmony of Dissonance.

Uihjah! Actually Aria of Sorrow is my favourite of the trio, as it combines the good music from CotM with the excellent grafix from HoD. Additionally I liked the "Soul Collecting" idea better than the magic/weapon systems from the other two. My only spot for critisizing it would be that it was recognizable shorter than its prequels.

Greetings,

Manuel

My opinion on the three Gameboy Advance Castlevanias are as follows:

Circle of the Moon - Ratchets up the difficulty to a frustratingly extreme level, graphics on par with the Genesis, character as maneuverable as a brick and the whip is weak. No fan of the random cards either. Excellent music quality, but uses too many old tunes.

Harmony of Dissonance - Tries too much to be like Symphony of the Night, crappy music, the alternate character is more fun to play than the main character, too easy in most places, weak end battle, tedious second castle. Excellent graphics, decent magic system.

Aria of Sorrow - Tries to evoke Symphony of the Night as much as its predecessor, but in different ways. Protagonist a carbon copy of Alucard. Too short. Unused futuristic theme. Alternate character handles more smoothly than main character. Confused story. Better difficulty balance, excellent graphics, good sound.

And for those of you who think CV IV is too easy, try playing the second quest.  About the time you get in the Castle, you may as well forget it.  There are just too many bats and other things to kick your face in.  I am stuck in the Treasury, a level I breezed through the first time. :)  

:spidey:

I love this game! Treasury is the best looking level of all. The continual ghosts flying around is priceless.

In terms of difficulty, nothing gets me more frustrated than the bird-man with the staff right near the end. That boss is such a bitch even in the first quest

yeah, slograh is a bitch... gaibon isn't much better, but I think the battle with the reaper was the coolest of them all, cooler with any other encounter with the reaper... it's just intense, with the music, and the electrical glow.... good times for all.

Treasury is the best looking level of all.  The continual ghosts flying around is priceless.

There is a trick on this level that I wanted to try the last time I was playing but couldn't remember it. Something about jumping on a treasure chest... :ponder: