IGNORED

Beating my dead horse

Max-T

Ok, this is the last time I'm going to bother any of you kind fellas about this thing. I'm getting sick of it myself. I still can't get any any sound except for static out of my six-switch unit. When it came in the mail, I noticed that the "game cable" had a small kink in it where part of the insulation had been worn off and a few of the copper strands of wire were split.

So yesterday, I opened the unit up, and tried to replace the game cable with a brand new RCA cord. Except that the new high-quality gold-plated cord I'd bought for it wouldn't fit onto the receptacle on the Atari's motherboard. I spread out the blades of the cord's connector, but that didn't help -- evidently, the central post of the cable was ever so slightly too big in circumference to fit into the MB's port. I even tried sticking the other end of the original cable into the MB jack and that didn't fit, so evidently, Atari made the jack inside the unit a little bit smaller than the standard RCA jack. So that was a no go.

This thing is driving me absolutely crazy. I'm no electronics wiz, but it seems to me that if you're talking about an RF signal, where audio and video are combined into one, the split in the original game cable or the lack of contact ith the blades on the new one would man that the circuit would not be completed, affecting boh both the sound and picture.

But the picture comes in just fine. And I have neither the tools nor the skills to test the chip that generates the sound. I have no reason to believe that the gentleman that sold me this machine on eBay was misleading me when he said that it was in good working order.

Can anyone recommend a reputable company or person who can diagnose problems like these and fix them for reasonable costs? I fully realize that we're not talking about a $20 repair here. But i believe that it is my responsilibity as the owner of one of these rare machines to maintain it at least for posterity, if not for my pure gaming pleasure.

Well, thanks again to everyone for reading another one of my boring posts. I sold off half of my modern console games to be to pay for this Atari, and I would really, realy like it to actually work for once. Many hanks!

max

CPUWIZ, it is a Heavy model, Atari made, not Sears. Serial #43738J "Mfg. By Atari, Inc. Sunnyvale, CA". Looked pretty clean inside too. I still have to and get that special at Radio Shack and see if adjusting the sound pot will work. I'll let you knw how that goes. Thanks very much!