IGNORED

Defender glitch?

BassGuitari

I was playing Defender tonight, and after some point (somewhere around Wave 20) it seemed like I could not run out of ships. At least a hundred waves (I discovered the game only counts till Wave 99) and 1,729,800 points later -I shit not- I finally did run out of ships. Is there some kind of glitch in the program that gives you all kinds of extra ships or something?

If it makes a difference, I had the game paused for about 45 minutes (at Wave 20ish) when I was eating dinner.

On easy they give you ships every 20000 or so. On hard I don't think they give you as many and the game is much harder.

Try playing it on hard and I bet you don't get as far. Unless you were playing it on hard, then my hat is off to you because my highest score is around 2 million on easy.

No, it's the same as the arcade on every difficulty level - 10K earns you a bonus ship and smart bomb. In the higher levels, you can earn that much back on each level (sometimes twice as much even on easy difficulty). I can't recall, but I think that the counters are prevented from rolling over in the home game (so once you have 255 of either, it stays that high when you collect another). Another thing that makes it easier to survive in the home version is that the red swarmers won't fire away from their direction, and the baiters aren't nearly as viscious as they are in the quarter-muncher.

Sometimes, around the eighties waves, the game gives you extra men for every enemy you shoot (not smartbomb). However, this doesn't always happen.

The last couple of times I played this didn't occur. I have no idea if it is a bug or just some kind of reward. I've also never personally seen it happen on the lower waves.

I always play the game on hard difficulty. The only difference between the difficulties is initial speed and speed increase. All the difficulties reach the fastest game speed eventually.