IGNORED

what´s so bad about trevor mcfurrrrrrrrr????

Creekree

the game is just gay.

now for the good news:

nice sprites, good frame rate

but when the artwork is childish, and the weapons are just odd, wait until you fire the expanding scroll bar thing, you will say wtf? did i just do.

With the right artist it could have been great.

This is the sort of game that Atari should have been best at, but it just stunk.

but when the artwork is childish, and the weapons are just odd, wait until you fire the expanding scroll bar thing, you will say wtf? did i just do.

So, because Ratchet and Clank and Serious Sam have weird weapons...this automatically means they suck?

hi!

sorry for bein ignorant, but i frequently read somewhere that trevor mcfur is a bad game. now my question: what makes it so bad? IMO the screenshots are pretty nifty.

i havent played the game myself but i think about getting it.... should i?

creekree

It sucks cause there's a better version..it's called Protector! :D SNOOCHIE BOOCHIES! Trevor McFur is a throw away game at best! Cybermorph is better than that! If anyone tries to sell you Trevor for more than $10 don't only decline it punch them for being such a jerk! Don't mean to be hostile, just got back from rugby tho :D

If anything, it's safe to say that Trevor McFur was basically a glorified Tech Demo for the Jag hardware. The first screenshots of Jag games in 1993 usually included at least one TM pic, and for good reason, the color pallette and resolution was a vast improvement over the Genesis and SNES games that were the king back in those days. Too bad the gameplay didn't match up, but then again what can you do?

Yes if you get it at a cheap price it's worth buying. Don't let anyone convince you otherwise cause there are guys that will take advantage of you if you don't know what it's worth. One guy tried that with me I laughted soo hard I was thinking who the hell do you think you're fooling?? Fortunately there's no one on this forum at least that I've ran into that'll pull anything like that. I'm pretty sure everyone here is a straight shooter as far as that type of stuff goes so if you're not sure bout jag value check in here first.

I played Trevor McFur not too long ago, and it made me cringe. It was perfectly fine when I first bought my Jaguar, but that was a decade ago. It has aged badly. The backgrounds are extremely amateurish, the graphic sprites (other than bosses) are flat and boring, and the whole thing just looks like they put more effort into getting all of the 32,000 color palette on screen than working on the core gameplay.

ok guys, i think i will trust you on this one ;)

i knew the rumors ain´t there for nothing.

creekree

btw: as you may have noticed i run a small longboard manufactury.

i have an idea for one boarddesign, all black and jag eyes... and an adapted jaguar / energija (my "company") logo. anyone interested? i´m asking because i´m not gonna build this board unless someone wants to have it because most people don´t know the jag and won´t get the idea behind the design anyway...and thus will not buy it.

c´mon people - get into some outdoor activity!

ok, i know this is somehow selfish but being a student means unfortunately to have less money than the working folks... drop me a line if you want a board

Actually, the magnet weapon was pretty nice. You'd fire it, and all the on-screen enemies would be dragged toward it, while it moves away from you. Nice one. But so much of the game looked like it was there to show off the programmer's early 90's rendering skills. The gameplay, in this day and age, just seems tedious.

I did like the general with the lion's head, though.

I think its more to do with its gameplay (or there in the lack of...) Its a gorgeous looking game, but a real yawn after a while... I wish they'd spent another 2-3 months making the level's more interesting and making the game more enjoyable.

Trevor McFur is really just a packaged demo...

Curt

I kinda like TM, that said I haven't actually played it in years. But last time I played it I liked it. I guess it does have replay value issues...it's not something you'll spend weeks with, more like an hour here and there when you have time and want something different.

Eric

Trevor McFur sucks because there's no actual level design to speak of. Each level is just the game pseudo-randomly throwing enemies at you for 10 minutes straight.

Aside from the graphics, it's clear the entire game was implemented with a minimum-effort approach in mind.

I agree, this game is not so good, It has a very unfinished feel about it. I agree it could've been a good game had the developers spent more time on it as it looks like they have a foundation there. The lack of in-game music really hurts it too in my opinion. Its too bad they just didnt rip off a game like Thunder Force 3 or something like that

Well, I always thought the graphics in this game were fantastic, especially ten years ago, and I didn't mind the gameplay either, it's fun to me. What I did mind though were the "JaguarBubsy" style one hit and your dead approach, you need shields that drain or at least multiple hits before instant death. The other thing that bothered me were the weird graphics, flying metallic cherubs and other weird shit, not to mention cruddy backgrounds except for the space and city levels. If it had been more sci-fi and less phsycodellic in it's graphic design it would have been cooler too. I give it a 6 overall, very average, but not terrible. Just a side note, I have a couple of friends who are NOT Jaguar fans and have never owned one, but it is there FAVORITE Jag game and they want to play it everytime the come over. Although I know a couple people who feel exactly the same way about BlueLightning too! Which I think is far better than TM and not to shabby itself.

Trevor is clearly an aged game and rushed out. the backgrouds do indeed look nice in those still screenshots but in playing the game the lack of any paralax scrolling looks much too flat and dull, the much older 16-bit games that used paralax looked so much better than Trevor was an instant disappointment, remember "Shadow of the Beast" from like 4 years earlier?

if you can get it cheap then it is still worth it, just don't expect much

You've got a good point there, and one that I forgot about(I would have remembered the next time I put the cart in the Jaggy though ;) ). I remember seeing the screen shots in magazines years ago, when I was drueling over the Jag specs and game pics. I remember thinking; " I bet that game (TF) has SOOO many layers of parallax you won't even be able to tell it's parallax!" Then I got the game, before I got a Jag, found it used for cheap, but I remember being very disappointed in the lack of parallax when I first played the game, but I figured, ohh well, it's still got killer graphics and it's first generation, it's just the tip of the iceburg of what's to come! While that was true in the sense of better Jag games coming out, it was not true in the sense of good side-scrolling shooters for the Jag. But then, everything looked spectacular on the Jag to me because I basically went from 8-bit gaming to the Jaguars 64-bit gaming, skipping the previous generation of 16-bit consoles and computers.

What I did mind though were the "JaguarBubsy" style one hit and your dead approach, you need shields that drain or at least multiple hits before instant death.

Been awhile since I fired up TF and its also one of the few Jag games that rarely (if ever) hits the cartridge slot of my Jag as I just didn't care for it the couple times I tried to play it. With that said, I can't really recall.. how many lives do you get to start with in the game... 3 like a most of games or just one life?

If you only get one life and its "Game Over" with one hit, then yeah, that is a big minus for the game. But if you lose a life with one hit and contine on with your next life, then wouldn't it be like most arcade games, i.e. Asteroids, Space Invaders, Galaxian, etc?

Just curious.

Mendon

I remember buying Trevor McFur when it came out, mainly because there were so few Jaguar games at the time and I was desperate for *something* new. And the screenshots did look pretty impressive, and it was a shooter. :) But damn, what a boring and uninspired game. I agree with those who speculate that this seems to be a technology demo that was turned into a game to have another launch title ready for the system (isn't there an interview with someone involved with the Jag that said this was the case?) The rendered sprites look nice, but that's about all I can say. The game is very unforgiving--I don't remember how many levels I made it through before finally getting very frustrated and just putting the game on the shelf for good.

..Al