IGNORED

Stelladaptor question, slight response delay in controls?

cimerians

Which controller do you mean, and which emulator are you using it with? In general it takes a while for the Stelladaptor (or any other PC controller) to read it's inputs, create a data set and send that to the PC. Then it takes a while for the emulator to read this data, to evaluate it, to put into the emulated machine, and to display the picture generated with the new data.

There isn't much that can be done about this, but fortunately it usually isn't too noticeable. The Stelladaptor supports real Atari paddles though, where there is a direct relation between the position of the paddle and the object on the screen. This is probably why you notice it on the Stelladaptor, while you can easily ignore it with other PC controllers.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg

Which controller(s) are you using, and on what type of computer? A half second is pretty noticeable, but I haven't personally seen a delay that long when testing any controllers. The joysticks and driving controllers are very responsive. Only with the paddles have I sometimes seen a slight lag, and only on certain games when going back and forth along the entire width of the screen as fast as possible (such as with Kaboom!) This is on an AMD Thunderbird 800, not exactly the fastest computer these days, but it's the fastest PC I have up and running at the moment. I need to get my dual Athlon 1200MP box up and running again so I can see if the paddles behave any differently on it, but that's no speed demon either compared to newer machines (or my G5 which is what I use full-time, and the paddles seem very responsive on it in MacMAME).

..Al

I use a standard Atari controller and it happens on any emulator. Your right, it isn't really noticeable unless your playing a game that requires precise control like Cosmic Ark which even the slightest delay can spell doom for the Ark ;)

In general it takes a while for the Stelladaptor (or any other PC controller) to read it's inputs, create a data set and send that to the PC. Then it takes a while for the emulator to read this data, to evaluate it, to put into the emulated machine, and to display the picture generated with the new data.  

Thats what I figured. But at first I almost thought it was a setting adjustment or command with Z26. Then I tried it on MAME and CCS64 and noticed it. It doesn't matter too much though except on certain games and even then it isn't too bad.

My specs:

P3Ghz

1G mem

100+G HDD

NVidia 256M card

I'm pretty much loaded to the hilt, so its probably just the data set transfers and conversions going. Not that bad but again on some games it could mean early dooms!