IGNORED

Favorite Cart Designs

The original GB carts are probably my favorite design, low profile, good labels, the indentation on top . . .

The worst that I've actually touched (the Aquarius carts are uglier) would have to be the American Video Entertainment NES carts . . . They are oddly shaped compared to the legit releases and they don't like fitting in either version of the console . . . Even Wisdom Tree's cheap knockoffs fit . . .

Design-wise I really like the original 2600 carts with the solid dust covers. They are ultra-durable, easily stackable, and were built to last for decades. :) Does anyone know if the original Atari dust-cover design was patented, or if the third party companies didn't use them just to save costs?

As a kid I got all excited when Atari moved to the all-capital lettering and picture labels, but now I appreciate the extra game-listing info from the text labels (also a helpful feature on most Activision labels). Too bad Activision's glue standards weren't as high as their game designing standards... The original text-only labels are really durable, too.

I don't mind the design of GBA carts (because they are small), but would prefer if they were stackable or didn't have dust-collecting holes. I would think a read-only SD form factor would be perfect for the next generation of carts for GBA type machines.

Design-wise I really like the original 2600 carts with the solid dust covers.  They are ultra-durable, easily stackable, and were built to last for decades.  :)  Does anyone know if the original Atari dust-cover design was patented, or if the third party companies didn't use them just to save costs?
I would agree with you if my entire 2600 collection wasn't completely falling apart. My favorite game (Fast Food) is down to the board itself. There is no way to glue it back together.

I have always wondered how the cover worked, though.

I suppose they lose points for not having end lables, but the Super Famicom carts look great with the console.

Just like the PAL SNES carts. Apart from having no end lable, very good carts.

I also like how the N64 carts actually feel like there is somthing inside them

But my fave is the original Atari carts, For the same reason I like 12" records over C.D's

Theres more space for ARTWORK :D