IGNORED

NES Donkey Kong

I'm more partial to the Atari 800 version, but the NES version is entertaining. If you're a big fan of DK, I recommend getting a NES copy.

There's also Donkey Kong Classics for the NES which actually has both DK and DK Jr. on it. I'd go for that one because there's more for your money.

There's no real benefit to getting a DK cart over a DK Classics cart unless you are looking to pursue a complete NES collection.

Here's one on Ebay that is still reasonably priced:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...&category=62053

The NES Donkey Kong for me represents "what could have been". It's good, but in so many ways it just makes me wonder why couldn't it have been better. Because just looking at it, there is absolutely NO REASON why the NES could not have an arcade PERFECT Donkey Kong. But the NES version just falls short in so many little respects, and I aint just talking about the missing level.. The lack of the "how high can you get" screens. The missing animations, the missing song, the altered gameplay (the "first" barrel in the upcoming stages does not fall diagonally, etc.) They're all just so SMALL.. I'm sure they could have been in there! But I guess it's spilled milk and it is good for what it is.

Hmmmm,

I may go for the DK/DKjr if anything.... I'm just getting into NES a little lately and wasn't sure if it was any good and I've never heard anyone ever do a comparision of it to say the Atari 800 version which most people hold in high regard as the best home port on an 8bit system

Curt

I prefer the NES version of Donkey Kong, even if it does lack the mud pie factory screen.

The NES version is good, though I prefer the 800 version. The NES version is very much like the 7800 version, just with better sound. As others have noted, it's missing the last level entirely, just like the 7800 version.

im guessing they left stuff out due to size constraints, the famicom DK was released in 83, and storage was still pretty expensive, if im not mistaken, its a 128k game, while not big for an NES game, its huge for 1983.

It was smaller than that. I think that Final Fantasy was 128k, so it's much too big for Donkey Kong. It's somewhere between 24k-40k, I think.

I have the nes DK classics with both of them on it.

The label art on this cartridge is worth the price of admission alone

I think the music on the title screen is done well also. It is only a short tune, but sounds like the super nintendo Donkey kong country.

Here's my take:

If MAME didn't exist, and you haven't played Donkey Kong in almost 20 years - the NES version would be a close to Arcade Perfect as you can get - combining *all* three factors graphics, sound and gameplay. Other ports have their strengths and weeknesses. I own the original cart and system for a variety of systems. The only exception is the Atari 800 with is strictly through emulation - However, via S-Video to my 27" Panasonic. Here's my summary:

Atari 2600:

Quite possibly the worse port (Okay Intellivision is the worst). As a game in itself - it is not bad - In fact, I like it. It is one of my favorites. However, compared to the arcade counterpart - N/G.

ColecoVision:

When in it's prime many considered it Arcade perfect. However, even on skill set 4 - I find it too easy. The Super DK! version contains the Pie Level - but it is unfinished Beta - and it shows.

Atari 7800:

I own a 7800. I chose it over an NES by in '87. Today I own both the Atari 7800 and the NES...Sorry, 7800 cannot compare graphically or sound wise. Playablilty, real even is hampered for me by the really horrid sounds - It's almost painful to play.

NES:

Graphically, it looks great. Sacrifice a little with the horizontal stretch to fit the aspect ration of TV's. However, not as poorly stretched as the 7800 version. Gameplay is very good compared to the Arcade.

C64:

This version-

http://www.c64unlimited.net/games/d/Donkey...0(Nintendo).htm

By Nintendo - Not very good in many respects.

This version-

http://www.c64unlimited.net/games/d/Donkey...g%20(Ocean).htm

By Ocean - Very good in many respects.

Haven't played or looked at aither C64 versions in awhile...I'll have to try them both again.

A800:

I must say, I was *very* impressed at the quality of this port. Graphics/sound for the system is just what I would expect. My only real 'gripe' is it is a bit too fast. Mario moves a little to quickly. But the intermission action and 'How High Can You Climb' as well as the addition of the Pie Level is fantastic to see.

I do not recall - to hold back my highest praise - if the C64 Ocean version contains everything the A800 version does...If it does, I do believe it would then edge out the A800 verision overall graphically - Gameplay wise - Well, I'll have to try it tonight again - Been a while since I played the C64 Ocean version.

Again, your millage may vary. However, all bias aside - if you did not have MAME - and it's been years since you played Donkey Kong on an Arcade machine - NES is the best port you can have - In regards to sticking as close to the orginal arcade as possible.

I have the nes DK classics with both of them on it.

The label art on this cartridge is worth the price of admission alone

I think the music on the title screen is done well also. It is only a short tune, but sounds like the super nintendo Donkey kong country.

It is the same tune that Cranky is playing from the opening of DKC methinks

C64:

This version-

http://www.c64unlimited.net/games/d/Donkey...0(Nintendo).htm

By Nintendo - Not very good in many respects.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? No! That's my FAVORITE of all ports, and not just because I had it since childhood and still play it, and not just because it was both my first Atari +AND+ my first Nintendo game. It's the best because it has the PIE FACTORY!

You forgot the ADAM version which IS finished, and has the pie-factory screen, and IIRC, the "how high can you get" screens.

IMHO, the ADAM version of DK is the best one.

Please. Please. Please. If you have a version of Donkey Kong for the Coleco Adam that is complete I would love to see and play it. I have only been able to locate and obtain 3 versions (Besides Bad dumps/Over dumps etc).

1. Donkey Kong - 16k version for the ColecoVision

2. Donkey King - 24k (Adam) version - Works on ColecoVision - Labelled "Adam" but there is *NO* difference in gameplay. Just the size is larger (Okay maybe a slight pixel or two imperfection next to the right-upper portion of Donkey Kong's arm on the first screen) - but nothing significant.

3. Super DK! - A suppose either hacked or 'prototype' version of Donkey Kong made to run on the ColecoVision with the imperfections I stated earlier.

If you truely have a version that includes a working (Sprite collision detection) and the addition of "How High Can You Climb Screen" for the Adam, please provide me with some direction where I can find this. I would love to play it. I would greatly appreciate it. I am a *big* fan of Donkey Kong and I love playing it on a variety of platforms. One of my favorite games of all time.

2. Donkey King - 24k (Adam) version - Works on ColecoVision - Labelled "Adam" but there is *NO* difference in gameplay. Just the size is larger (Okay maybe a slight pixel or two imperfection next to the right-upper portion of Donkey Kong's arm on the first screen) - but nothing significant.

I saw this in an old EG I read last night: The 24K verison of Donkey Kong was the original release. After Xmas, the 16K version was released. Looks like Coleco was simply saving money needlessly spent.

You forgot the ADAM version which IS finished, and has the pie-factory screen, and IIRC, the "how high can you get" screens.

IMHO, the ADAM version of DK is the best one.

Please. Please. Please. If you have a version of Donkey Kong for the Coleco Adam that is complete I would love to see and play it. I have only been able to locate and obtain 3 versions (Besides Bad dumps/Over dumps etc).

3. Super DK! - A suppose either hacked or 'prototype' version of Donkey Kong made to run on the ColecoVision with the imperfections I stated earlier.

If you truely have a version that includes a working (Sprite collision detection) and the addition of "How High Can You Climb Screen" for the Adam, please provide me with some direction where I can find this. I would love to play it. I would greatly appreciate it. I am a *big* fan of Donkey Kong and I love playing it on a variety of platforms. One of my favorite games of all time.

1) It does have sprite collision detection

2) I'm pretty sure it has the 'how high can you climb' screen, but the datapack that I have bit the dust. I have to get a new one.

3) Definietly has all 4 screens.

This can be obtained from Ecoleco.com

Atari 7800:

I own a 7800.  I chose it over an NES by in '87. Today I own both the Atari 7800 and the NES...Sorry, 7800 cannot compare graphically or sound wise.  Playablilty, real even is hampered for me by the really horrid sounds - It's almost painful to play.

It's interesting to hear this perspective. I also own both the 7800 version and the NES version. I got the NES version second and found the two games to be startlingly similar - like one (probably the 7800 version) was moulded after the other.

If you truely have a version that includes a working (Sprite collision detection) and the addition of "How High Can You Climb Screen" for the Adam, please provide me with some direction where I can find this.  I would love to play it.  I would greatly appreciate it.  I am a *big* fan of Donkey Kong and I love playing it on a variety of platforms.  One of my favorite games of all time.

I have definitely played a CV or Adam version of DK that included the "How High Can You Get" screens - I remember because they used a different tileset for Donkey Kong on that screen versus during gameplay.

I'll try to dig it up, there's 200 unlabeled CD's in the other corner of the room :ponder: But if I do have it, I got it from someone's flood of CV/Adam stuff, meaning either through Usenet or ed2k. Don't know whether it would have been a Good or TOSEC flood. I have a Goodcol flood from 2002 on my hard disk which I think has the ROM I played, but I can't find a Linux binary of xmess so it's building now :P

In regards to my previous post:

"3. Super DK! - A suppose either hacked or 'prototype' version of Donkey Kong made to run on the ColecoVision with the imperfections I stated earlier".

See here:

http://www.digitpress.com/reviews/superdonkeykong.htm

Guess that sums up what I was stating about the ColecoVision versions...for those to lazy to click. In part:

"Super Donkey Kong for ColecoVision is a hacked version of the enhanced game made for Coleco's Adam computer. Because of what was likely a means of cost-cutting by Coleco, the version of Donkey Kong they "gave away" with the system was scaled down to fit in about half as much memory as the ColecoVision can handle. When they did the Adam computer version of the game, they pulled out all the stops and made is much truer to the arcade. A few years back I discovered an in-house version of Donkey Kong and I titled it Super DK. This version uses all of the available memory space on the ColecoVision and while some minor bugs had to be worked out, I was able to get it to run on a stand-alone ColecoVision system".

As Shortly stated, there is a complete working finished Donkey Kong for the Adam. I do not own an Adam computer. Just a ColecoVision. If some kind soul could provided a rom or disk image workable under an emulator (I.E. Meka, FreezeSMS, MESS), it would be greatly appreciated.

I would love to play a complete Adam version of the game. I feel a "Donkey Kong" weekend coming up. I'm going to try to play all the different versions again, and perhaps rehash or re-write my reviews and thoughts on the different versions.