IGNORED

flea market heaven

There's a few flea markets around my area, but I always have to work weekends. There's a guy out at a local flea market that has loads and loads of classic gaming goodness. He's got all sorts of boxed consoles, and piles of games. But I can never get out there. :sad:

I've been trying someplace new, but the results haven't been great. There's tons of Mexican style bazaars around here, but the few i've been in have really been disappointing. I was hoping that they would be more like an indoor flea market, but instead they have loads of stores with pretty much identical crap. There's only a few kinds of store line-ups in them. Country-western wear, tacky dresses, cell phones, Spanish music, imported dollar store type toys, and car stereo equiptment. 80 or 90 stores, but they all have the same stuff in them. Their only saving grace, is a couple of the bazaars i've been to have good video arcades in them.

The only flea market we have even *remotely* close to where I live is right near Amish Acres (an actual place, I kid you not). So instead of the massive piles of "junk" that you might find at say... my favorite flea market (in Florida), you will find booths full of... flowers... quilts... overpriced bottles... and a thousand other things that make me want to vomit. The last time I saw anything Atari there, I found a few overpriced 5200 games. I bought a wire Nintendo game rack there the last time I went, but somehow it just wasn't worth the sunburn. (But don't get me wrong -- it's the best place to find a 5 pound bag of jello powder when I'm in the market for it, so it's not a total loss. :) )

The fleamarkets that I went to when visiting California and Florida were quite a different matter, indeed. So, for those of you who have a flea market that has what I would consider to be interesting stuff, consider yourselves lucky. :D

flea markets are so cool. Ive got this one near me where all these hicks bring there stuff that they dont think is worht anything. Since the auction is pretty secluded I dont have to deal with other collectors really. In that place it's mostly a buyers market :D I LOVE SPRING/SUMMER!!!

because of your single post I just made the decision to pack up my shit and move to southern california

Don't bother. I'm already here :)

To tell you the truth, I haven't found much down here, though way better than Boston (Christian Scott may say otherwise - he always found the good stuff there). I think Ianoid cleaned this place out before he moved.

Joe

It may be dirty but you gotta love it. By me it's all pretty much one big flea market full of people who decided not to have a garage sale. Sure there are some people who make a buisness out of it and know the price of the games they are selling but for the most part there all pretty ignorant.

No local fleas to speak of, but I frequently make the yard sale rounds. Since I work nights I can get to them Friday mornings when people are just setting up and snag the scores before SumGuy finds 'em.

And ALWAYS ASK! If you're new to the yard sale scene, and you don't see any games, DON'T be afraid to ask the seller if they have anything like an old Atari they may not want. Many times I've had someone go into the house and come back with a box o' stuff and a few times not even charge me for it. :D

I had been talking to a friend of mine and he said oh yeah I had a garage sale last week and my mom sold all huge box of atari stuff for five bucks.  I wish I had bought it :x

I think we have all experienced the "sumguy" effect at least once in our lives! I happened to me when I found a garage sale that sold all of their Atari stuff the day before.

I hit 'em all but have had the most luck with garage sales in the summer.

I like to hit the fleas from time to time but I just don't have to patience to wade through the crap that is usually found at the typical garage/yard sale. I'm sure that I'm missing some good stuff from time to time but I just can't bring myself to drive around all day hitting 'em.

I've hardly ever found any good videogame deals in pawn shops. Other than getting undercharged for a NeoGeo Pocket Color (only charged $25, he had his finger over the price tag, $70), I haven't found anything at all in pawn shops. When they do have videogames, they're usually the current generation, and overpriced.

Inhabiting what at last check was the eighth-largest metropolis in the U.S., I know of two game stores that sell Atari carts. Their stocks have not changed since I first depleted them around six months ago. If anyone wants a dozen copies of Combat (half without end labels) and a few Footballs or Pac-Mans, PM me.

Not one cart found in any pawn shop I've been to. Not one cart in the flea market. I have been to visit friends in small towns where I've found ten times what I can find in the city.

It all goes to show that bigger is not necessarily better. But, BTW, I am in the 2nd-fattest city in the USA. And the trivia prize goes to...