IGNORED

Recommend a 5200 emu

StanJr

With the HUGE developments in the 5200 world, I feel the need to play some of these games (perhaps in the interest of having a 5200 HB of the Year award next year :ponder: ), and since a real 5200 is out of reach right now, emu is the next best thing.

So what 5200 emu do you use, and what would you recommend for me. Keep in mind that I am a simpleton and therefore need a SIMPLE emu. :)

Thanks. :)

With the HUGE developments in the 5200 world, I feel the need to play some of these games (perhaps in the interest of having a 5200 HB of the Year award next year :ponder: ), and since a real 5200 is out of reach right now, emu is the next best thing.

So what 5200 emu do you use, and what would you recommend for me.  Keep in mind that I am a simpleton and therefore need a SIMPLE emu. :)  

Thanks. :)

Good luck. They are all pretty complicated and difficult to get working. MESS is the easiest to use, but a lot of games do not work. Atari800win works best, but you almost have to be a computer programmer to get it to work.

So what 5200 emu do you use, and what would you recommend for me.  Keep in mind that I am a simpleton and therefore need a SIMPLE emu. :)

I'll keep that in mind next time I read your stuff in the P & R forum. :wink:

I've found that Atari800Win is pretty easy and very compatable. The only thing you have to do is specifiy the path to the 5200 ROM. If you're smart enough to select a game to play, you can figure out how to do this. It's easy.

Don't bother with MESS. That's one of the few emulators that truly lives up to it's name. The only thing it's really good at is 7800 emulation (which hopefully will change soon with the new 7800 emulator.)

Same here. On Mess, you need to get exact folder names and put this thing here and that thing there...:roll:

Atari800Win runs pretty much out of the box...and you can put your junk anywhere :)

Tho emulation will never match a real 5200 100%. Things that work well on one will not necessarily work properly in the other.

As far as file placement, yes, MESS is tougher. But, with A800 you also have to know how to adjust......

Sound settings,

Screen (video) settings

Controller settings

Wheres with MESS you don't have to, it's more "plug and play". Also with MESS, you just double click the file name. A800 you have to know to "attach cartridge" (what the hell is with that??)

A800 is definetly a more precise emulator, but as far as setting up and running, Mess is a lot easier.

Both however suck ass in that considering all the work done to write the program(s), neither have documentation or help files for the amateur.