IGNORED

Rare Mario bros.?

That's actually eBay's description of the iteem. They offer stock item descriptions so you don't have to come up with something yourself. If you enter the UPC this guy used, you get the Super Mario Bros. box with the description.

From my experience, this is a common problem, and the reason I don't bother with eBay's descriptions. It's not that difficult to come up with a paragraph or two describing something.

Did the pack-ins for the NES even have boxes? I don't remember that . . .

And when did the system not come w/ the gun and the combo cart? I thought that was a launch item . . . In fact, I'm not sure if I've ever even seen one of these . . .

Are they more or less common than the 3-in-1 w/ the track and field game . . .

I've never actively searched for NES games, but I have never seen the 3-in-1 cartridge, while the SMB/DH carts are common as dirt. The thrift shop I was in earlier today had 3 on the shelf!

Did the pack-ins for the NES even have boxes?  I don't remember that . . .

And when did the system not come w/ the gun and the combo cart?  I thought that was a launch item . . .  In fact, I'm not sure if I've ever even seen one of these . . .  

Yes the deal used to be when Mario Bros. came out that you bought the core Nintendo console and you get Mario bros. in the box for free. No Duck hunt or Zapper. The Action pack which came out around 1988-89 included the Mario/Duck Hunt cart and the red zapper. I could be off on my years by a couple though. :P Actually I believe when the NES first came out in 1985 it came with Gyromite and the ROB robot...if I'm not mistaken.

right right right... the only point that im trying to make is that games are more valuable and collectible when they are complete w/box & insert. In most occasions the price for a boxed title is considerably more than that of its loose counterpart...

granted the market is saturated w copies of SMB (i have about 75 copies myself that i have no idea what to do with), but since it is, and always will be, a good game and a significant peice of videogame history, its always gonna have some collectible value when you find it MIB. You can check around ebay, it consistantly gets bid up at least over $10 when its in that condition...

its like comparing an old beat up loose He-Man action figure to a mint carded 8-back version of the same figure... ones worth nothing, the other's worth a few hundred... whats the difference? the figures the same, its just a lot harded to come by a vintage carded action figure than it is to find the loose version thats been in your closet for 20 years...

yeah yeah, everybody and their grandma has a copy of that caqrt, but when was the last time you saw an SMB MIB like that? I dont think its worth $100, but you'd be hard pressed to find another one with the box...
I have all three SMB games in box with instructions and sleeves and styrofoam. All in MUCH better thape than both those auctions. And I got the SMB for $.29... CENTS. It's not that hard to find. And no one was pressing me hard when I found that one.

$100.. I can't believe the sheer stupidity of some people.

chrisbid said

i know that the SMB/DH packin did not come with a box

Hmm im sure i saw the box somewhere! totally sure! :)

Not for the SMB/DH combo you didn't. It just didn't come with one. The games were sold separately with boxes, but not in a boxed combo.