IGNORED

getting an amiga

essell

i'm starting to consider picking up an amiga on ebay sometime, and one in particular that i've got my eye on doesn't come with a mouse. i seem to recall the controller ports being like mega drive ones... where could i get another mouse to use with it?

i'm new btw - howdy :)

Good choice with the Amiga... try to pick up an Amiga 1200 if possible, since it has the AGA chipset that a lot of the newer games need... it also has a built-in harddrive, so you hopefully won't have to worry about finding Workbench or any of that, since it should be installed already.

As for a mouse, the Amiga uses it's own proprietary mouse, so you don't have a lot of options. From what I've heard, it's fairly simple to convert an Atari ST mouse to work with an Amiga, but Atari ST mice aren't really any easier to find I'm afraid. Another thing you should be aware of is that the classic Amiga mouse looks identical to Commodore's 1351 mouse, which was actually meant for the C-64... I'm almost certain that the 1351 is not compatible at all with the Amiga, so stay away from them (It should say "1351" somewhere on the bottom of the mouse, so make sure to check).

Amiga mice show up in the thrift stores here from time to time, so you might want to check your local thrift stores to see if you can find any. Other than that, there's always eBay.

--Zero

I didn't see that you were in England. For mice, etc, try www.eyetech.co.uk, or you can order from Versalia in Germany (I've had good luck with them) at http://www.vesalia.de/

Agreed though, the 1200/4000 are good models (and very expandable). If you just want to play old games, a basic 500 w/1.3 Kickstart would work too.

YES commodore amiga/c64/atari/sega have the same controller port and can be exchangable. ( Also for my coleco i usually take one controller out and plug in a normal atari one as they are better ) :)

The only thing thats kept me out of the vintage computer collecting is reliablity issues with disk drives and tapes.

ANyone care to shed some light on this issue? :|

I've found that most of my disks (5.25") have worked just fine even after 16 years. There's a few that died, but it hasn't been many. Honestly, in terms of Amiga games, I've just been downloading the images and installing them on my 1200's harddrive and using the WHDLOAD'r to run them. No floppy disks necessary.

Sad to say, but my brother has had a LOT of problems with deteriorating disks... in fact, for whatever reason, he's had more problems with his Amiga disks than I've had with all my C-64 disks. Go figure.

The disk drives themselves should be alright, but old disks (like all magnetic media) can be unreliable. What you might want to do is try copying the entire disk over top of itself, that way any "weak" sectors will hopefully be brought back to full strength so that the disk can sustain another 10 years worth of use.

Also, this should go without saying, but be sure to take care of your disks, and they'll last a lot longer... don't expose them to magnetic fields (don't put them on top of your monitor or anything like that), or moisture or anythign like that.

--Zero

On comment about disks.... From my experience 5.25" floppies tend to hold data much longer than 3.5" floppies...none of the old 3.5" DD/SD floppies I find ever work... but I all the 5.25" DD/SD disks I've found have worked.

Oh well, at least new 3.5" DD/SD floppies can still be ordered in bulk online.

Also, used PS/2 mice are easily had for next to nothing because they are everywhere...they are common. Mice for systems that do not use PS/2 or USB mice are not as easy to locate and can tend to cost more because of this.

:)

thanks for the info,,but i will stay out of the vintage computer category, even though i would really like a c64 as i used to own one between 1986 and 1992.

i think i will stick to emulators for my computers, as its not that much different than original c64 (the computer emulators seem more realistic when i front of a pc compared to console emulators) and ive put a big commodore badge on my pc case and keyboard. lol

To me , its a C64 system, running windows in the background. :)

YES commodore amiga/c64/atari/sega have the same controller port and can be exchangable. ( Also for my coleco i usually take one controller out and plug in a normal atari one as they are better )    :)  

:|

Any idea why my Commodore Paddles will not work on my Atari?

I've got a nice Quickshot stick, not sure which model it is, but on the base there is a switch with various settings MSX/Atari/SEGA/Amstrad or somesuch, it has become my joystick of choice now and I use it on many machines.

Do you mean the white VIC-20 paddles? I tried them on a 2600 once, and they work fine... however, they have a different range than the normal Atari paddles, so you can get some oddities in games. For example, in Video Olympics, I can't move the paddle all the way to the top of the screen with a VIC-20 paddle. Depending on how the game is programmed, it may or may not be an issue.

--Zero

YES commodore amiga/c64/atari/sega have the same controller port and can be exchangable. ( Also for my coleco i usually take one controller out and plug in a normal atari one as they are better )    :)  

:|

Any idea why my Commodore Paddles will not work on my Atari?.

C64 Paddles seem to work %100 on my 2600's and 7800's.

As for the Amiga, if u want cheap get an A600, they are much smaller then the 500 and come stock with 1mb,

my commodore paddles work on my pal 2600 fine on most games, but the calibration sensitivity setting is differnt than original atari paddles.

they will work on most games fine, but on some like night driver, the sensitivity is too slow, and u cant really play. ok on breakout though.

:)

i just had an idea....... :ponder:

since the atari controllers work on my coleco, i will try to plug in my coleco controller nto the atari and play star raiders as i dont have the video touch pad.....

hang on a sec.........

DAMN in dont work!!!!!!!!! which is odd as i get more response when i plug in a sega megadrive controller in port 2 (still cant play though )

which is a shame actually as ive been hanging to play star raiders for bloody LONG tome now...hehe

:sad: