IGNORED

Other AC adapters for NES work?

Well I got my Nintendo package from Ebay and the lady mistakenly put in a Super Nintendo AC adapter which does not fit with the NES. The only ones that I found were similar and fit into the NES were the Jag and Jag cd AC adapters. I didn't turn the system on though in fear of ruining it. The polarity numbers seemed pretty similar but a couple numbers were off. Does anyone know of any Nintendo compatible AC adapters? Or should I just go find one at a game shop? Thanks

o_O

The whole purpose of the AC adapter is to convert AC current to DC...

Acctually it just converts AC 120V to AC 9V. Any AC to DC conversion is done inside the system. Take a look at the output listed on an NES power adaptor.... while your at it, take a look at all your game systems' PS unit output listings.... Then take a look at the input ratings listed on your systems... (it's on the bottom of the NES)

plugging a ps unit that puts out DC into a system that expects AC may work because it is eventually converted to DC anyway. However, putting AC into what is expecting DC can cause damage for sure.

This would be so much more fun if I had room to set up my scanner, or if I could find the good digital camera.... so I'll just have to quote the first AC adapter I found.

SEGA MODEL MK2103

CLASS 2 POWER SUPPLY FOR

USE WITH VIDEO GAME

INPUT:120V AC 60Hz 15W

OUTPUT:10V DC 0.85A

(-)--C--(+)            MADE IN TAIWAN

SEGA ENTERPRISES, LTD                 SA

This would be so much more fun if I had room to set up my scanner, or if I could find the good digital camera.... so I'll just have to quote the first AC adapter I found.

SEGA MODEL MK2103

CLASS 2 POWER SUPPLY FOR

USE WITH VIDEO GAME

Yup that will also work with an NES. Infact the NES, Genesis model 1, and Jaguar/CD AC adapters are compatible with each other.

SEGA MODEL MK2103

CLASS 2 POWER SUPPLY FOR

USE WITH VIDEO GAME

Yup that will also work with an NES. Infact the NES, Genesis model 1, and Jaguar/CD AC adapters are compatible with each other.

Really? I once tried plugging an NES power supply into an SMS and it didn't work. The PS worked fine on my NES, though.

SEGA MODEL MK2103

CLASS 2 POWER SUPPLY FOR

USE WITH VIDEO GAME

Really? I once tried plugging an NES power supply into an SMS and it didn't work. The PS worked fine on my NES, though.

As was stated, the NES' AC input means it won't work with most everything else that expects DC coming in.

But since apparently the input is converted to DC in the NES before anything else is done, DC input on the NES causes no problems.

What the hell are you talking about? The NES does no such thing.

http://64.53.95.207/schematics/page2.jpg

Look at the very top of the picture. That whole little bit is the power supply section of the NES.

As you can see, it shows the wallwart transformer which outputs 9VAC to the NES unit. And the very first thing inside the NES after the power jack a Bridge Rectifier. Followed by the rest of the typical power supply componetes (filtering caps, switch, voltage regulator) before being fed to the electronics.

With very few exceptions, anything which uses an AC adaptor will work fine with a DC adaptor of similar voltage and current rating. A very rare exception may be some US Robotics Sportster modems that used 20 VAC power supplies. Apparently they were somehow able to use that to get +/- 9VDC for the RS-232 power.