IGNORED

Q*Bert questions

the question is who currently owns the rights to the game? Hasbro released that mediocre update a few years ago. It contained "the original", but in fact it used the modern graphics engine, and even the gameplay was sluggish compared to the authentic arcade game.

I only ask because Q*Bert seems to be the most popular 80's arcade game that hasn't been featured in an arcade compilation of any kind. Its a dam shame too. The only other example i can think of is frogger, but that did get a late 90's release on the Genesis (it was the last official genny release afaik) and an ok version on the konami arcade advanced GBA cart (with strange music however). The original game along with the official hack Faster Harder More Challenging Q*Bert would be a great centerpiece in an arcade compilation of some sort.

Damn fine game!

Play it on both the C64 and the Atari 2600. It was re-released in original and modern form for the PS1 as was Frogger.

Of the two PS1 versions, I liked frogger more. Altough frogger was really only worth playing in one player mode on certain levels, and two player mode on level 1.

ive got the dreamcast version of q*bert, but the "original" game uses the new style graphics and it was sluggish. The closest version i have to the arcade version is the NES port by Ultra (Konami's psuedoname). But that version had an ending for cripes sake. I would just like to play the original arcade version without MAME. I know that if it were packaged with the right games, it could do fairly well, just like Midway's Arcade Treasures, and other arcade compilation packs.

Q*Bert seems to be the most popular 80's arcade game that hasn't been featured in an arcade compilation of any kind.

This is probably because it used a four way joystick mounted a 45 degree angle. It's pretty difficult to play with anything else IMO.

-S

While I'm no expert I am a Q*bert nut. I love that game! Its one of a few

games that I have to try on every platform. I find it very playable on

MAME using the keyboard. The cubes are in rows and up/down arrow

just moves you along the row. Left/right will make you hop to an

ajacent row.

The one thing that bugs me with Q*bert is that with its simplistic 3-D I

find it easy too often loose focus on the cubes unless I am paying

close attention. Sort of like those trick drawings were you stare at the

dark or light spot and see a different picture. Anyone else have this

problem?