IGNORED

Stelladaptor with VICE & WinUAE?

necronom

Hi,

I really want to get one of these Stelladaptors, but I have yet to find anyone who has used it with the C64 emulator VICE and the Amiga WinUAE emulator. Plenty of people say it should work but no-one seems to have tried it in the places that I have looked.

So, has anyone here used it with these?

I am running them in Win98SE.

Thanks,

Paul.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Paul,

Here is a link for you on how to convert an Atari Joystick to be an IBM joystick.

http://www.epanorama.net/documents/joystic...ri_pc_converter

Since this conversion will work on all atari / amiga / c64 or other ibm emulators, its a better way to go than Stella.

Now if we could just get someone to make them available so we did not have to build them ourselves.

I have an amiga emulator, Amiga forever, but I am still trying to learn how to use it. I also have a Stella, maybe eventually I can answear your question.

I have not yet buildt the Atari to pc converted joystick, but plan on that after I get some other things working.

Seems it might be possible to just use resistors, and have the atari switch how much resistance is present for the x or y cordinate of an analog ibm joystick.

That might require cutting of circuit board traces on the atari stick.

--rrrrrr-----rrrrrr------rrrrrr-------

|

|-------------------------------------

something like this where the slanted lines are atari switch buttons

and rrrr is the resistors.

Then the fire button would just wire in just like the ibm, and then maybe add an extra button to the case, for those ibm games that make use of button two.

Many emulators do not work with the Stella

I really want to get one of these Stelladaptors, but I have yet to find anyone who has used it with the C64 emulator VICE and the Amiga WinUAE emulator.  Plenty of people say it should work but no-one seems to have tried it in the places that I have looked.

Hi Paul,

I didn't see your message initially--I have not yet tried VICE or WinUAE, but I can try them if they will work under Windows XP. However, I'll need to track down some C64 and Amiga games to try them with first. :)

..Al

Noteit: Thanks for the link. I might try that if I have to.

Albert: Don't go to a lot of trouble. I'm not sure if they work with XP, but VICE is easy to set up and C64 games are easy to find (Paradroid would be a good one to try it with), WinUAE is a bit more fiddley. Someone here with a Stelladapter must have WinUAE set up. I can't play Emerald Mines without a proper joystick. :(

I'm surprised that everyone who is into 2600 emulation isn't also into at least C64 emulation as well. I have quite a lot of emulators and like to play everything from 2600 games to Arcade machines.

From what I've heard, the Stelladaptor just works like any other HID device, so as long as there is a proper driver for Windows, I don't see why you couldn't at least use the joysticks in other programs (Paddles, driving controllers, keypads and whatnot might be tricky though).

--Zero

From what I've heard, the Stelladaptor just works like any other HID device, so as long as there is a proper driver for Windows, I don't see why you couldn't at least use the joysticks in other programs (Paddles, driving controllers, keypads and whatnot might be tricky though).

--Zero

The Stelladaptor is designed as a generic HID-class Gaming Controller. This will allow Windows, Linux, and Mac to recognize it without the need for additional drivers. The joystick will work without a problem with any system that supports USB game controllers. The paddle may work, depending on the program, but the driving controller will need support added to the desired emulator (like z26, which Eckhard did for us).

So, that's why I'm waiting for Noteit to explain what he meant.

Joe

I'm surprised that everyone who is into 2600 emulation isn't also into at least C64 emulation as well.

I had a C64 and then an Amiga back in the day, and I enjoy messing with the emulators (even set up a PC with that Amiga floppy ripping software a few years back to move my Amiga floppies onto hard disk) but.... you know.....

I can type "stella.sdl oystron.bin" and it just starts up and works. To play most C64 or Amiga games it's like, find which disk image the game is on, start VICE or WinUAE, remember what the key sequence is to insert a floppy, dust off my C64 or Amiga navigation skills (lO"$",8 : lI at least is still hardwired in there.... of course depending on the key binding that may come across as lO@$@,8 or lO*$*,8....) and then start the game. Plus then there's keyboard mapping and whatnot to deal with. Gamebase made it easier under Windows except that at the time it ran off an .mdb file read/write (so I couldn't run it off CD) and of course now I'm running Linux anyway. There used to be some PD game pak version of WinUAE you could download, but it seems they offered some non-PD games too and got shut down. Ah well....

In any event, when it's a double click, or a single command line entry, I expect I'll be into c64 emulation as much as I'm currently into 2600 emulation, if not more.... and I intend to use my stelladaptors to do so :D

The joystick will work without a problem with any system that supports USB game controllers. The paddle may work, depending on the program, but the driving controller will need support added to the desired emulator (like z26, which Eckhard did for us).

Does the Stelladaptor allow programs raw access to the port, so that you can use stuff like the KidVid and keypads and such? Or does it only understand joysticks, paddles, and driving controllers? If that's the case, that's too bad, since it would be a very convenient way to test homebrew I/O devices with Z26.

In any event, when it's a double click, or a single command line entry, I expect I'll be into c64 emulation as much as I'm currently into 2600 emulation, if not more

VICE does have a way to load disks without having to type any commands. I forget how this works, since I recently did some weird stuff with my system that broke VICE, and have yet to recompile... but I think when you bring up the dialog to attach a disk image, there's a button for "Auto Start" or something along those lines.

--Zero

Does the Stelladaptor allow programs raw access to the port, so that you can use stuff like the KidVid and keypads and such? Or does it only understand joysticks, paddles, and driving controllers? If that's the case, that's too bad, since it would be a very convenient way to test homebrew I/O devices with Z26.

The Stelladaptor was designed specifically to support Atari 2600-compatible joysticks, paddles, and driving controllers. I wanted to keep it as simple to use as possible for the general user. It has an automatic detection of the three controllers and adding more support would have increased the learning curve tremendously. The goal of this product was to make an easy way for gamers to play ganes, and wasn't really targeted towards homebrew developers.

Joe