IGNORED

How would you have...

How would you have marketed the Sega CD and the 32x differently? What kinds of games or even game add-ons would you have marketed to try to make both a better success?

The 32X was a clusterfuck that should have never been released. That one decision by Sega ruined their reputation and they never recovered from it.

Agreed...the 32x shouldn't have been...

Sega would have been better off waiting the year out and getting the Saturn released. Then port the 32x games over to the Saturn instead of what came out...

Star Wars arcade would have been awesome with some FMV stuff, Redbook audio tracks and nice quality sounds and such. Imagine it if had been done on the Saturn instead of the 32x?

But...we wouldn't have the near arcade perfect port of Virtua Racing since the Saturn version sucks....so who knows...?

But..if given the choice between the Genesis Virtua Racing and the Saturn version...I go with the Genesis version...BUT ONLY IF the 32x Version wasn't around...

Oh..and T-mek...I like it....

8)

the 32X wouldve been fine had they

- given a rebate for a free and/or reduced price game

- actually pushed the system for a year and not push the saturn so quickly

the Sega CD just needed to make more unique "games" rather than Genesis ports with redbook audio, and the other extreme, too many crappy FMV games. If the Final Fantasy lunatics had seen Lunar or Shining Force that wouldve pushed systems out the door. Instead we see Night Trap during Joe Liberman's witch hunt.

Star Wars arcade would have been awesome with some FMV stuff, Redbook audio tracks and nice quality sounds and such. Imagine it if had been done on the Saturn instead of the 32x?

My thoughts exactly. Star Wars Arcade is one the best games for the 32X. I was impressed SEGA actually managed to include a co-op multiplayer mode. If they would have hold off until the Saturn, this game would have been a system seller (kinda like Rogue Leader II was with the Gamecube) with better graphics, more levels and some FMV's. Now it looks horribly dated, but it sure rocked back then.

Sega cheaped out when it came to the Sega CD. The Sega CD could do some great hardware scaling, but it was limited to the Genesis's lousy 64 color limitations. Sega was considering adding more hardware to the CD drive to add more colors and other tweeks, but decided against it to make a higher profit on the machine. If Sega had added at least some of their 32X hardware to the Sega CD unit, it would have made the unit more attractive to customers, and would have done better in the marketplace.

Sega shouldn't have bothered with either add on at all.  Having said that, a Mega Drive + Mega CD + 32X does look pretty damn good.  (Shame about the 3 seperate power supplies).   :yawn:

That's what I don't like about the 32X adapter -- having to have another power supply to power the thing.

I would've liscenced a 3D Mario game for the 32X. The Nintendo fanboys would've spooged all over themselves while defending the 32X as the greatest add-on EVAR!!! Also, releasing Virtua Hamster and that PAL only space shooter Dark-something wouldn't have hurt.

If they had made the 32X and Saturn compatible (like they had originally planned, or at least alluded to), then I think it would have been a complete success. Buy a 32X to hook onto your Genesis, buy some cartridge based games for it that you can lend to your Saturn-owning friends... Buy a SegaCD to add to the mix and then buy some CD-based Saturn games to play on it. And then eventually, feel free to dump the big combo system and get a legitimate Saturn and still be able to play your Genesis and SegaCD games.

Of course, if the SegaCD and 32X had been powerful and compatible enough to do this, they almost certainly would have been even more expensive. But I can't see any other way to make this whole mess work out in the end.

--Zero

If they had made the 32X and Saturn compatible (like they had originally planned, or at least alluded to), then I think it would have been a complete success. Buy a 32X to hook onto your Genesis, buy some cartridge based games for it that you can lend to your Saturn-owning friends... Buy a SegaCD to add to the mix and then buy some CD-based Saturn games to play on it. And then eventually, feel free to dump the big combo system and get a legitimate Saturn and still be able to play your Genesis and SegaCD games.

Of course, if the SegaCD and 32X had been powerful and compatible enough to do this, they almost certainly would have been even more expensive. But I can't see any other way to make this whole mess work out in the end.

Agreed with the very first point. If the cartridge slot on the Saturn had been compatible with 32X games as was originally stated that it would be, I think the 32X would've been a great way to play the cartridge-based games for your Saturn without getting a new $700 machine. Unfortunately, doing this would have hurt the Saturn as the 32X games would not have been powerful enough to truly show it off.

Sega should have supported the 32X for a while longer and brought the Saturn over to the states a year or so later. They could've launched with a really deep game lineup and they could have supported the 32X long enough that it wouldn't have been such a joke. Both of those things could have definitely helped them in the long run...

If the Saturn's cartridge slot was made to be compatible with 32X carts, wouldn't it also be downwardly compatible with Sega Genesis games? I thought I read somewhere that the origin of the Saturn cart slot was to be compatible with Genesis games.......

Had they been more compatible, both would have been viable if one could buy cartridges of a game, and supplement those cartridges with Sega CD games/additional code to add onto the cartridges.

Let the cartridges be the backbone of the program and use CDs to boost the available information to provide for more levels, cutscenes, et cetera. Sort of taking the Sonic & Knuckles thing to another level, with the power of CD storage and the processing ease and speed of a cartridge.

Sega should have supported the 32X for a while longer and brought the Saturn over to the states a year or so later.

I think one of the huge problems with what Sega did was that they knew full well that the 32X was a stop-gap solution to keep them in the market while they readied the Saturn... But stop-gap systems really don't work in the video game market. People don't want to buy something that they know will be obsolete in a year. Unless Sega had planned at least some sort of long-term goal for the 32X, it was pretty much doomed from the start, and almost guaranteed to anger the people that did buy it.

Perhaps if would have been a better idea to forget the 32X completely, and just concentrate on making some really high quality Genesis and SegaCD games in the interim... This is what Nintendo did with the SNES and games like Donkey Kong Country, and it worked quite well for them. Perhaps Sega could have done a lot of the 32X games with the SVP chip (the one that powers Genesis Virtua Racing) instead. Although I think the SVP chip was less powerful overall, and a lot more expensive (but if they made a dozen games with the chip, mass production might have brought the price down).

--Zero

32X? Some decent fighters, a real Sonic game, a good Shinobi game... Just stay faithful to the Genesis fans. Madden COULD have done a lot for the 32X....

Saturn? Japanese games a-go-go. Good stuff. Shooters, fighters, RPGs, basically make it more like the PSX in terms of a library.

Mechanized said...

Sort of taking the Sonic & Knuckles thing to another level, with the power of CD storage and the processing ease and speed of a cartridge.

- - - - -- - - - -

This can be a bone of contention. Carts tend to be more costly to manufacture V/S a CD. There is also the issue of available memory and access time too. I'd bet that even a 1x drive can probably stream data a lot faster than was possible with cartridge technology of the time. Now that I think about it, I wonder if that is why we had all of those henious FMV games... It was an easy way to take advantage of the technology.

I do like cartridges generally. They are generally much more hardy than a CD. While you can easily come up with ways to quickly bring an end to either media format, I always marvel at the cart for getting flooded, rolled in the dirt, and half-rusted contacts, and with lot of love (and scrubbing... good heavens, the scrubbing!!!) a cart will rise from its grave and run like nothing ever happened.

For this reason alone I anticipate a very interesting scenario with the Sony handheld offering... But that's another topic for another time.

Lastly, A unified Genesis, 32x, and CD system would have been the finest offering for the 16 bit platform. I admired the fact that Sega squeezed every ounce they could out of that rig. And then goofed with the Saturn -- a good system, but quirky. A shame the DC appears to be loved now only by hardcore Sega fans and those who like "300+ games on a CD".

Hex.

[ Had the horrid urge to p!mpslap some idiot because he was just hunting for roms for his DC... ]