IGNORED

Z26 for Linux Sees First Release

Albert

LinuxPenguin.jpg Linux users will be glad to learn that an initial version of the 2600 emulator z26 has been released for Linux. This version is not quite perfect, but it does play games with sound, and supports keyboard, mouse, and joystick controls. The z26 Linux authors are looking for people to test this release, specifically to test the code on various Linux distribution and to test out various ROMs to make sure they behave the same as the 2.12 release of z26 for Windows. You can download the Linux source here. Please send test results, bug reports, and patches to z26@whimsey.com.

Looks like all my whining finally paid off ;)

... and I'm off to try it out...

[Edit: Well, it compiles and runs properly on my system... but it definitely still need some work. The sound is a little on the harsh side (Pitfall 2 is especially brutal), the speed could use some work, and every once in a while, the emulator would pause for about 5 seconds for some reason. However, it's run everything I've tried it with so far except for Superman, which seems to think that I'm constantly pressing up. I also haven't had any luck getting the mouse to do anything.]

--Zero

might we eventually get an OS X port? :D

In the readme file, it says that they're in the process of replacing all the assembly with normal C functions, so eventually it will also compile properly on Mac's and Solaris machines.

Who knows how long it'll take though? I'd love to see someone port this to the Dreamcast and GBA, that would be killer.

--Zero