IGNORED

New Emulator Tutorials Online

Albert

Atari7800Console.gif Tim "Tooth Protector" Warner has begun writing a series of Emulator Tutorials to help you get going with the most popular Atari-related emulators. If you've wanted to try your hand at emulation but have had problems, Tim's tutorials will show you step-by-step what you need to do in order to be successful in playing classic games on your modern computer. Tim has put together three tutorials thus far:

Tim is hard at work writing additional emulator tutorials, so you can expect to see more in the future!

Hey everybody,

I know that a lot of members here at AA are "heavyweights": software developers, network engineers, and so forth. In all likelihood you folks don't need the tutorials.

I am writing these tutorials for people who might not (yet) be all that computer-savvy and who yearn to reexperience the glory of old console video games.

If any of you have any questions, comments, criticisms, or suggestions for improvement, then by all means post 'em. I see those tutorials as dynamic documents, and it would be great to see them shaped by the AtariAge community.

Thanks,

Tim

Hey, thanks! Great info for us non-heavyweights!!!

Could you possibly include a tutorial on how to "save" game progress? I have been playing TI-99/4a games via MESS (Like return to Pirates Island!) and recently Atari 800 games like Zork, but haven't a clue how to save my progress. :sad:

Also an Atari800 Win tutorial would be great. :D It seems like a better emulator (at least for Atari 5200 games) but much more difficult to get up and running like MESS.

Thanks!!!

Hey,  thanks!  Great info for us non-heavyweights!!!

Yuk--that was an unfortunate choice of words on my part. :( Let me be the first to include myself in the realm of "non-heavyweights."

At any rate, I'm currently working on a tutorial for Atari800Win. You are definitely correct in describing it as a challenging emulator to use.

Regarding save states in MESS: as long as you are running a game in a window (and not full-screen), you can use the File => Save State and File => Load State commands to save and load your progress, respectively.

Thanks,

Tim