IGNORED

Has CV He-Man: Masters of the Universe been dumped yet?

Zaxxon

i believe sean kelly has a back up copy, but is unable to duplicate or dump the rom due to copyright issues / agreements with mattel / blue sky ranger

dont hold your breath for it- the BSR told me that they will not release it because of ridiculous copyright issues with mattel

willie

dont hold your breath for it- the BSR told me that they will not release it because of ridiculous copyright issues with mattel

That's pretty much the story behing all the unreleased BSR games. Sad, but what can you do?

Tempest

This was shown at CGE '99 and/or '00. Has anyone got a copy of it besides INTV productions?

I'm glad to see this question pop-up. I've been asking about this going back to '97 (maybe even '96).

I know the legal mumbo-jumbo stuff. However, ROMS for the ColecoVision like Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Jr. are freely available. Ditto for the 2600 version and intellivision version of Masters of the Universe - The Power of He-Man. Certainly, it's not impossible. Further, amuses me that some of the latest Arcade Games and consoles available have images dump and distributed.

I'm not saying it's legally right - I'm just amused.

Nonetheless, this does remain unavailable for the time being. Probably more sticky of an issue with the new Masters of the Universe cartoon, figures and game(s) being published/created now. Hopefully, one day, this will "mistakenly" reach the net.

That's pretty much the story behing all the unreleased BSR games.  Sad, but what can you do?

Tempest

I wonder if it's occured to them that if they make a limited run (say 20-50 carts) and sell them at or just above cost, it's not even going to be worth the time and effort of the original copyright and trademark owners to even bother going after them - and if they DO get a cease and desist, that's all they have to do - cease, and desist. Once you do that, no lawsuit.

Those shots are pretty sweet. The CV & 5200 would have so many

more great games if they had been given only a year or two. The 1984

stuff is pretty great, imagine what 1985 or 1986 would have been like.

The whole legal thing is a good laugh in the big picture. I fully understand

all the legal and license issues. But I imagine the average homebrew or

proto repo has a market of a 100-200 or so people who will pay $50 or

so for an old game. And for the CV that number might be much less.

The cost of getting a lawyer to write an e-mail exceeds the commerical

value of the game!

But I imagine the average homebrew or

proto repo has a market of a 100-200 or so people who will pay $50 or  

so for an old game. And for the CV that number might be much less.

The cost of getting a lawyer to write an e-mail exceeds the commerical

value of the game!

My thoughts exactly. :thumbsup:

You've also got to remember that even if the BSR decided to try and get the rights to release these games, sometimes the copyright owners don't want to bother with something so small.  

Tempest

If it wasn't so vexing, it would be hilarious. They don't want it released to protect their copyright, but they won't license it because it's worth so little commercially. Well if it's worth so little commercially, why are they worried about protecting their copyright? AUGH!

You've also got to remember that even if the BSR decided to try and get the rights to release these games, sometimes the copyright owners don't want to bother with something so small.  

Excellent point. That is probably a reason why many arcade games

that while are popular enough (QBert anyone?) to warrant being on a

compilation set are not. The paperwork costs more than the few thousand

a company like Midway might pay to have it on a PS2 release. It is

paperwork that will crush our society... IMHO of course!! :D