IGNORED

32x games

Mine is a model 1601 (Told you it was a first release version...)

Prognosis....

Does not need the Dongle...never has had it...and never should. And I have 2 32x units...both work. But it is interested that you mention finding a Genesis expansion port cover in one of yours. I think my second 32x also had one...which was cool because the one on my backup genesis ($1.95 Thrift find about 4 years back...) was missing it's cover.

I didn't even think the cover was in there because of a reason. I just assumed it got mixed up when the 32x was reboxed and sent my way.

And that dongle does look odd. Seems like it should be a very easy matter to just splice up whatever pins need to be connected and go that route.

8)

I just sent email to sega and segaparts.com to see if they can shed some light on this... doubtful, but possible.

EDIT: first response, from segaparts.com:

it connects the two units together.

thanks

At 10:39 AM 4/22/2004 -0400, you wrote:

>What exactly does this do, and for what reason is it required? Does it

>need to be present for all versions of the Genesis or only certain

>revisions? If only certain revisions, which revisions?

>

>Chad

Clearly they have no idea what they're talking about. I sent them the following in response along with the picture of the unit on the Gen1 from the first page of this thread:

Uhm, no it doesn't. It goes over the motherboard's expansion port edge connector and doesn't connect to the 32x unit at all. Attached is a picture.

Chad

Such a shame... this is Sega's official North American parts distributor for these systems, too.

From Sega itself:

Dear Mr. Tower,

Thank you for e-mailing Sega Technical Support.

If you are referring to the metal bracket that slides into the Sega Genesis I and II, this will be a necessary item to avoid harm with your Sega Genesis.

You can purchase older Sega games and accessories by dialing 1-888-271-5678 or by visiting www.sega-parts.com.

This phone line is open from 8:30 A.M. to 4:30 P.M. PST Monday - Friday.

Please contact an older games agent for better assistance with the older Sega games.

I hope this helps. Thanks for your support and have a nice day.

Sincerely,

-Matt

Sega of America Technical Support

I responded with (with the mentioned attachment):

Nope. I'm talking about the part that slides onto the edge connector for the expansion port. Attached is a picture.

Chad

We're not going to get anything. This is the final response from Sega:

Dear Mr. Tower,

Thank you for e-mailing Sega Technical Support.

Unfortunately I was unsuccessful with finding any information on the item.

It may be an imported item or something that was involved with the Sega Genesis III which is made by Majesco.

Sorry for any inconveniences. Thank you and have a nice day.

Sincerely,

-Matt

Sega of America Technical Support

Apparently they don't even know much about the products they sold or he wouldn't have even mentioned the Genesis 3, which didn't even have that expansion port.