IGNORED

NES Pirate Game System Question

Mendon

Took my son out for his birthday yesterday and we were in one of the local malls. While walking around, we came upon one of the many kiosk's there and it was called "Game Place". I stopped in my tracks and stared in disbelief because they were selling pirate NES systems from China.

These packages consisted of two controllers (one looking like an N64 controller and one looking like an NES controller) and a small lightgun. The NES system itself was contained in the N64 type controller and you plugged the other controller and lightgun into it. It was menu driven and had 106 NES games (Super Mario, Donkey Kong, Elevator Action, Wild Gunman, Duck Hunt, Burger Time, etc etc). With different variations of the games they claimed you got over 1,000 games. The packages were selling for $59.99 with **NO** refunds or exchanges. And people were buying them up.

What got me the most is that these people rented a kiosk in a major mall and nothing was said at all about the legality of the product by anyone. In the mall is a Game Stop and EB and I went into Game Stop and asked a clerk how those guys were getting away with selling pirate NES systems in the open like that. Reply: "They ain't hurting us as we don't sell NES games anymore".

I couldn't believe any of this at all. I know you can buy items like this on the internet but to sell them in the open in a major mall blows my mind. Whomever is doing this has to have gonads the size of basketballs! Even as I type this 12hrs later I'm still shaking my head in disbelief.

Question: has anyone else seen these systems being sold in a mall, store, etc?

Mendon

Question: has anyone else seen these systems being sold in a mall, store, etc?

Mendon

Yep. Saw them in a few malls over the holiday. Overpriced junk if you ask me and the games were all suspect (some had altered graphics, changed title screens, etc). The controllers felt very cheap as well...not something that would likely hold up to years of use.

Last weekend at the flea I saw these going for 30 bucks. I was almost tempted, but then I noticed the cartridge was way too small to be a famicom cart, which is what I was really after.

They don't seem so bad, sure, they're cheaply made, and 59$ is way too much. For the casual player 30 bucks isn't bad for 100 distinct games though.

Thanks for the posts that others of you have seen them.

Still blows my mind that they would do it in the open like that in a major mall. And with EB and Game Stop there, you would think maybe the Nintendo rep would have noticed it in walking by or something.

Oh well... guess its no biggie.

Mendon

If i told you this you would totally laugh!

Ok here goes.. I saw some of those "Famiclones" being sold outdoors in the market

place when all of a sudden I saw some cops and they were walking in the direction

of the stall, right and guess what?

They looked at them and they just looked at the screen and kept on walking! :lol:

It either seems that the cops didn't know they were pirates or they just

thought it was stupid to prosecute over old games so they just carried on walking!

And you think youv'e seen things! :lol:

They've been selling this crap in malls all over America since last Christmas. I saw the exact same model you describe billed as an "8,000 in 1" and being sold at Oakview here in Omaha, for $45 a piece. I've used a similar model Bivotar picked up and it was such a piece of crap I was firmly convinced $45 was WAY too much.

I picked up one for $40 Cdn. (complete in original box) including shipping half-way across the country.

There are about 75 unique games; most seem to be Famicom-only releases as far as I can determine. I was delighted to discover versions of my favourite classic arcde games including Dig Dug and Galaga (and a very crappy implementation of Space Invaders).

The quality of the hardware is not great, but I feel I paid a fair price.