IGNORED

Need help with Gravitar repair...

pongstroid

A few years ago I had a friend put in a new cap kit for the monitor. Worked fine for about 10 hours of play. Last time I had the machine on for a round, I noticed an electrical smell and a small bit of black wispy smoke coming out the top of the machine. (Likely something on the monitor board.) I quickly turned it off, and haven't turned it on for 3 years now. :(

Then I have a few other projects for the machine. It came with two other boards: Major Havoc and Quantum. Which explains why the former owner, an Atari employee, had installed a trackball on the control panel. I've also purchased a Space Duel board. So, I've got a few other projects too:

1) Repair/replace the trackball. The current one doesn't move freely.

2) Create a control panel adapter so I can easily play one player Space Duel on the Gravitar controls. Better yet would be to get a Space Duel cp to swap in.

3) Create a control panel adapter for Quantum.

4) Create a control panel adapter for Major Havoc.

Any help is appreciated!

Cheers...

That is quite a piece you have there!

Vector monitors have come a long way. Its pricey, but its a permanent fix. I would suggest doing both deflection and high voltage boards if you plan on keeping the machine (which I am sure you do):

http://arcadeshop.com/parts.htm#Monitors

I am assuming its a standard Wells Gardner 6100 monitor (I think all the Atari 19 inches were, IIRC it was the 25 inches that were Amplifone?).

Check out http://arcadeshop.com/parts.htm#Trackball and you can get all the bearing parts you need. No sense in buying a new trackball.

As for the connectors, no ideas there. If you feel comfortable enough taking on the monitor, I think you could handle that part. I know the harnesses are similar, but you may have a bit of trouble with a 'one-size-fits-all' plug.

HTH at least some.

Cassidy

That is quite a piece you have there!  

Yeah - and got it for $50! Was driving back work and the machine was sitting out on a driveway for sale. I passed it, went home - and then had second thoughts. They still had it so I picked it up. It was a terribly nice suprise to open up the back and see the two other boards in there!

I am assuming its a standard Wells Gardner 6100 monitor (I think all the Atari 19 inches were, IIRC it was the 25 inches that were Amplifone?).

I believe it is the 19 Wells Gardner.

Check out http://arcadeshop.com/parts.htm#Trackball and you can get all the bearing parts you need.  No sense in buying a new trackball.

That's perfect - will have to do that. This sort of stuff wasn't easily available 5 or 6 years ago.

As for the connectors, no ideas there.  If you feel comfortable enough taking on the monitor, I think you could handle that part.

I'm not sure if I'm comfortable - my soldering skills are essentially from 25 years ago putting together little Radio Shack kids kits. I've no testing equipment, so I'm really not to sure how qualified I am to work on the board.

I know the harnesses are similar, but you may have a bit of trouble with a 'one-size-fits-all' plug.

That's my theory at least. I'm not sure how practical it is to make simple adapters. I looked a bit when I first got the machine, but couldn't easily find the parts I *thought* I needed.