IGNORED

secret of mana,chrono trigger

i just recently got my snes and i've always wanted to play these games having heard many good reviews of them and being a fan of squaresoft games but then i realized that i couldnt find these games for less than $40 each, and that's way more than i usually spend on a game. so i'm asking those of you that have played them,do you think these games are worth spending that much on or should i stick with cheaper games?

i just recently got my snes and i've always wanted to play these games having heard many good reviews of them and being a fan of squaresoft games but then i realized that i couldnt find these games for less than $40 each,  and that's way more than i usually spend on a game. so i'm asking those of you that have played them,do you think these games are worth spending that much on or should i stick with cheaper games?

I think Secret of Mana was re-released on the GBA(if you have a GBA). And the Chrono Trigger is a 'very' good game that I would check out the local flea markets for it. I'm a cheapskate so I wouldnt pay $40 but $20 or less for it.

i just recently got my snes and i've always wanted to play these games having heard many good reviews of them and being a fan of squaresoft games but then i realized that i couldnt find these games for less than $40 each,  and that's way more than i usually spend on a game. so i'm asking those of you that have played them,do you think these games are worth spending that much on or should i stick with cheaper games?

I think Secret of Mana was re-released on the GBA(if you have a GBA). And the Chrono Trigger is a 'very' good game that I would check out the local flea markets for it. I'm a cheapskate so I wouldnt pay $40 but $20 or less for it.

Chrono Trigger was also re-released for PSX on the Final Fantasy Anthology(?) collection and should be considerably cheaper.

I have played Chrono Trigger on the snes and playstation. The snes version is worth every penny of the 40 dollars, but don't bother with the psx version. The psx version does have some nice added cut scenes, but the in game loading drags this game down. You won't want to get in a battle because it loads 6 seconds or so before the battle, then at times it slows down during the battle, and be prepared for more loading after the battle. :yawn: As for the original snes Chrono Trigger it is a masterpiece of an rpg with perhaps a dozen different endings, best graphics on the snes, and an involving story line. The story isn't as deep as say FFIII, but it is great in it's own right with the time travel interactions. Secret of Mana is good fun, but not worth 40 bucks. 25-30 dollars tops.

i just played through CT for the first time this week, and while i did like the game, i cant say i agree with the legendary tag people have put on it. i know about the problems on the PSX version, but i may play through it to see what they added, as it was a fairly short game.

As much as I dont agree to piracy, If you can get hold of an SNES back-up device you could always play them with one of those. I picked up mine for $15 :)

They are both excellent rpg's IMHO and i intend on owning them again, But $40?? I dont think so. I think thats what they cost me brand new

The greatness of Chrono Trigger is in the replayablility. You will have to beat the game several times before you have all of the best weapons and armor(rainbow w&a); plus all of the different endings. The best ending requires you to beat Lavos at the very beginning and to do this you will have to have played the game several times and leveled up your characters. Ayla gets a new attack at level 96!! There are two snes rpgs which could be argued to be better: Lufia II and Final Fantasy III(both games have a deeper story). Lufia II isn't usually too expensive and you really should give this game a shot. Check out the ratings for it at gamefaqs. ;)

They are both excellent rpg's IMHO and i intend on owning them again, But $40?? I dont think so. I think thats what they cost me brand new

***spits out drink*** WHERE the heck did you ever see CT new for $40? It was $60-$80 everywhere I ever saw it.

Yep, I bought mine new for 75 dollars! :o I wish I would have saved the box and instructions as I could now sell it complete for over a hundred bucks. Oh well. Was it worth 75? I don't know, but 40 sounds fine to me. Heck, look at the prices people pay for crappy games that are rare all the time on ebay. CT is rare and fun, can't beat it. :D

Reading your post makes me think of emulation... but to answer honestly I would say it depends on how badly you want the game. Hey why don't you buy the PSX version? Unless you want to experience it in the purest sense of the word, the option does provide a cheaper alternative.

***spits out drink*** WHERE the heck did you ever see CT new for $40? It was $60-$80 everywhere I ever saw it.

Well at the time i was friends with a japanese guy who owned a gameshop. I normally got wholesale as he is a friend, At the time i got a disk doctor for 1/2 price but it woulndt save (early model) so i still bought carts. I look back and wish i bought a jag of him,,,,

The prices you've shown are a big rip off!!

I think Secret of Mana was re-released on the GBA(if you have a GBA).

Seiken Densetsu 1, AKA Final Fantasy Adventure, was remade on the GBA.

SD2, AKA Secret of Mana, is still SNES-exclusive.

Sorry, My bad (checked with my list) it was 'Sword of Mana'

Sorry, My bad (checked with my list) it was 'Sword of Mana'

Yes. Ironically, the modern Square realizes better than the older one that the Final Fantasy name doesn't need to be on everything.

The Chrono Trigger/Final Fantasy IV release on the PlayStation is definitely worth looking into.

As you've read, yes, the Chrono Trigger load times are long, but, having just finished the game (last night, at that, for the first time in ten years almost) I can say that the load times, while significantly longer than the SNES game, are indeed tolerable. You'll adjust you're playing style somewhat to accomodate the loads, of course (not hitting the Item/Character Menu so much), but it's utterly playable. The moments where lag is most a problem is in hitting the menus for Items/Character management and character swapping, since those are things that are traditonally quick, and they're expected to be fast. Combat, while having a load time length, doesn't take so long that it becomes frustrating to bump into enemies or kill the mood. The most important part, I'd say, moving from area to area, has a perfectly reasonable load time, albeit longer than the original. It's truly in the Menus where the longer load times catch you, but, as I said earlier, adjusting your play style to hit the menus fairly sparingly will offset their long loadings well enough.

For a reference to what I think an Intolerable load time is, look at Okage the Shadow King. That game, there, was going to be effing great, I could tell. It had a lot going for it, great art direction, and a plot that was shaping up to be interesting. However, the load times killed enjoyment of it. Accidently slipping through a door became utter frustration as a long load time lead me through to an area I didn't want to go into, and then another load time while I got back where I wanted to go.... it was sheer tedium, and it ruined an otherwise great game.

As for the Final Fantasy IV release on this PlayStation issue, if there are any lengthier loading times (outside hitting the Save menus) then they're barely noticable. I haven't played that deeply into the PS FFIV, since I'm waiting until summer, but what I did play played very smoothly.

A final note: In addition to this, I highly recommend the Final Fantasy Anthology, which has FFV (previously exclusive to Japan) and FFVI (released outside Japan as FFIII). Final Fantasy Origins I haven't played yet, but it is on my hit list.