IGNORED

Dead rows of pixels

carlgeorge

Hello, I am new to this forum having recently decided to buy another Lynx after about 10 years.

The lynx I have picked up has several lines of pixels that appear to be dead across the screen (described as mint condition on ebay). The interesting thing is that there were eight lines to begin with. Then after about 1 hr there are now three!?! Any suggestions on what needs to be done? Do I hope the rest just work by themselves?

I need to get a power adapter as the one supplied was US (I'm in UK) which also wasn't mentioned on ebay.

It is a Lynx II that I have. It is interesting that it now has one/two rows of dead pixels (depends on how it feels I imagine).

I am just leaving the machine turned on and the lines are steadily disappearing, however I have to decide tomorrow whether to send it back and ask for a refund or hope that they vanish in the following weeks.

On a side note I have had Ataris since the mid-eighties including XE, Lynx, STFM, Falcon and a Portfolio, and I have always found the products strong (except the Portfolio), yet this appears to be possibly related to shipping although it was well packaged.

One of the ribbon cables could be out of alignment, you could pull apart the lynx or give it a good whack below the screen, but you'd risk damaging it more, but since the lines seem to be dissapearing, it could just be from a lack of use, if they all don't go away, or go away and keep coming back I'd consider sending it back, but otherwise, hold onto it.

it doesn't sound so much like an alignment problem (as the missing lines eventually go away with use) but maybe a bit of an oxidation problem. Either way, (whether it is, indeed, an alignment problem or oxidation) wiggling the cable or simply removing it and re-inserting it will probably do the trick.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for your input.

Most of the lines have gone now, although I am left with one horizontal and one vertical line still which appears to be refusing to go. I will check the contacts of the ribbon and socket for oxidation and see if that removes the remaining lines.

By the way if any of you know of the Gamepark (try www.GP32x.com) there is a Lynx Emu in development by one of the scene's best developers!!!!! Thought that might interest a few people.

Not sure if this applies to a Lynx, but I know that on laptop computers and such, they often recommend gently massaging the affected section of the screen to bring back dead pixels. I could be way off base with this, but it probably wouldn't hurt anything to give it a try.